2006 A's, Outlook and Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Oakland A's

2006 A's, Outlook and Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Half Massed wrote:We officially resigned Kennedy through arbitration to a one year deal worth 2.4 million. Nothing shocking.

Yeah, can't really afford to let any starting pitching go for free.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:26 am

You know, I've been thinking about this upcoming season recently, and considering the moves made by other teams, I think it's definitely possible that the A's can make it to the WS. The big guys from last year have all gotten worse at this point (biggest being the Sox, Indians haven't really improved and losing Millwood didn't help, the Yanks signed Damon but are just a mess, White Sox were lucky last year, I wouldn't count on it happening again, Angels lost pitching but are definitely still a threat, Twin's offense got worse). We're the only team in the AL that is a playoff threat, I think, that has really gotten definitively better. Considering how close we were last year, we could go places...

Hell we could even win it all! The Cards lost pitching and bullpen, the Stros most likely lost Clemens, the NL West doesn't count, the Braves don't have all the pieces... Of course the Mets are a team to watch, but they'll find a way to screw it up.

Whoo :-°, big burst of excitement for this season. Man I can't wait. ;-D ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Half Massed wrote:You know, I've been thinking about this upcoming season recently, and considering the moves made by other teams, I think it's definitely possible that the A's can make it to the WS. The big guys from last year have all gotten worse at this point (biggest being the Sox, Indians haven't really improved and losing Millwood didn't help, the Yanks signed Damon but are just a mess, White Sox were lucky last year, I wouldn't count on it happening again, Angels lost pitching but are definitely still a threat, Twin's offense got worse). We're the only team in the AL that is a playoff threat, I think, that has really gotten definitively better. Considering how close we were last year, we could go places...

Hell we could even win it all! The Cards lost pitching and bullpen, the Stros most likely lost Clemens, the NL West doesn't count, the Braves don't have all the pieces... Of course the Mets are a team to watch, but they'll find a way to screw it up.

Whoo :-°, big burst of excitement for this season. Man I can't wait. ;-D ;-D

HM, I totally agree with you and have been thinking the same thing. The A's in my opinion, when healthy could be the best team in baseball in 06. The offense is not as strong as some other teams but it is above average. But the pitching on this team is SO deep, and the bridge from the starters to the closer is incredible. I'm excited too!!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Half Massed » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 pm

I just updated this some. I'm so excited that we got Thomas! I suppose my signing of him to the A's (along with Millwood to Texas) in MVP 2005 after the update came out in mid-December has proved prophetic. :-D

Billy listened to your sig Ryn! Man, I'm happy.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 pm

Half Massed wrote:I just updated this some. I'm so excited that we got Thomas! I suppose my signing of him to the A's (along with Millwood to Texas) in MVP 2005 after the update came out in mid-December has proved prophetic. :-D

Billy listened to your sig Ryn! Man, I'm happy.

Dude, I am absolutely stoked!! Great signing by the A's. Man this is an excellent roster. I wonder who the odd man out is now? :-? I would have to think Payton....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 pm

Well a late season update. Some tempering of expectations obviously due to the ever-present patented A's injury bug (TM). Crosby, Johnson and Chavvy have been the main disappointments, but Thomas and Swish have been better than expected. Chavvy has shown some recent signs of life so that's good news. Hopefully the A's can out-last the Angels to make the playoffs. If we get Harden back and healthy in time for the playoffs, we could go far with the short series. We're not out of it yet! ;-D [/i]
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Afan4Life » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Wow this board seems kinda dead. I guess there just aren't many A's fans here?

Less than 2 weeks left and we're 6and a half up on the Halos. The A's just seem to keep on winning. Hopefully we can carry these results into the playoffs for once. I like our chances with our pitching the way it is. Plus its nice to see Big Frank mashin the way he is.

Oh and one other note: Eric Chavez is a ROCK! People look at his numbers this year and wonder whether he was worth the investment. I just wanna say EVERY PENNY! This guy plays through injury after injury and when he can't do it behind the plate he steps it up that much more defensively. Go ahead and wrap up a 6th straight Gold Glove. His bat seems to be coming around too so watch out for #3 come playoff time.

Go A's
Afan4Life
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Half Massed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:15 am

Yeah, I see A's fans, but not many post in the forum. The A's are looking to wrap up that playoff spot, hopefully in a head to head matchup with the Angels, and Harden is returning tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about it, but as long as he doesn't pull a Liriano I'll be happy.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Afan4Life » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:14 am

I agree, I'm interested to see how Harden will do today. I was pretty surprised to hear he was even gonna attempt it but I guess the trainers wouldn't let him do anything that would risk his future.

If it works out though that could be quite a boost for the playoff run. We'll see how effective he can be.
Afan4Life
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:45 pm

The A's are resting for the playoff series, hopefully showing something more than the last few times. And if not, I hope we're not left with more painful memories (The No-Slide, Tejada missing third, Byrnes missing home). I feel that we won't this year. This should be a great postseason.

LET'S GO OAKLAND!!
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Oakland A's