Next on the Mets plate - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next on the Mets plate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:Well I'm not trying to make this into a pissing match, you are. With all things being equal the Yankees can no doubt spend more than the Mets or any other team. Happy? But all things are not equal. Look at the Mets payroll at < $100M. Consider the Yankees payroll which is still > $200M.

Also, don't believe everything Cashman says (or any other GM for that matter). What Ryan said to the Yankees in so many words is if you pay me I will come. I will come setup for you if you pay me as a closer. They wouldn't do it. I'm not saying that's a mistake either just the current situation.

So you're telling me that Cashman is lying, yet you claim to know the truth? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just trying to point out the fault in your argument. I'm sure if the Yankees dished out $60 million, Ryan would have come. But who in their right mind would do that for a setup man?

I'm not even saying that the Yankees would get into a bidding war with the Mets. All I am saying is that they easily could, if they wanted to. You're acting like they are in some amazing financial bind. That isn't the case.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:You honestly believe that they cannot compete with the Mets (who just absorbed a ridiculous Delgado contract and threw $40 million at Wagner, and still have yet to address their catching position) in a bidding war for Tom Gordon (who likely won't receive a contract higher than $8 million per? I'm not buying it.

In light of your sensitivity bidding war was a bad choice of words. Let me rephrase: If the Mets interest is real, I do not see the Yankees being willing to spend the type of money that the Mets will.

That is completely different. If you are questioning their interest in getting into a bidding war for a 38 year old, I agree. They may very well pass on it. But you said they were in "no position" to compete with the Mets.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:21 pm

The Yankees aren't in a financial bind? OK. Too bad Lesgrant isn't around to throw 3 pages of phoney bullcrap in my face. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:The Yankees aren't in a financial bind? OK. Too bad Lesgrant isn't around to throw 3 pages of phoney bullcrap in my face. :-D

:-b

Not trying to start an argument. My whole point was that the Yankees could go spend the millions on Gordon or anyone else if they so choose. They just don't want to, and I am very grateful for that. Let's go Yankees. ;-D ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:You honestly believe that they cannot compete with the Mets (who just absorbed a ridiculous Delgado contract and threw $40 million at Wagner, and still have yet to address their catching position) in a bidding war for Tom Gordon (who likely won't receive a contract higher than $8 million per? I'm not buying it.

In light of your sensitivity bidding war was a bad choice of words. Let me rephrase: If the Mets interest is real, I do not see the Yankees being willing to spend the type of money that the Mets will.

That is completely different. If you are questioning their interest in getting into a bidding war for a 38 year old, I agree. They may very well pass on it. But you said they were in "no position" to compete with the Mets.

Defend that Yankees pride all you want. I'm done with this.. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Sounds like bunk

Postby Ballwreckers » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 am

Hmmm...I guess the source of that articale might be wrong about the Mets wanting to sign a catcher.

The Mets have made a three-year, $18 million offer to free agent Bengie Molina (C) LAA -- an offer the Angels don't plan to match, according to the LA Times. However, they may be able to keep him in the fold by offering arbitration in December.

Looks like they are going for the gold with all of these moves, though I think the Wagner and Delgado might bite them in the butt a couple years from now.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers