Toronto overpays for Ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Toronto overpays for Ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 pm

garf112 wrote:How can you take a guy seriously when his banner compares Mark Teahan to George Brett?

I have often wondered that myself. :-? :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jester » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Isn't BJ going to make about 2 mil less than Wagner in the upcoming years? That has to count for something.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:12 pm

Jester wrote:Isn't BJ going to make about 2 mil less than Wagner in the upcoming years? That has to count for something.

Yeah but he is supposedly 'unproven' as a closer... ;-7
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:19 pm

what did PWF say? O:-)

i think there's no reason to believe ryan won't produce for the jays. he has been pitching well not only since this year, when he took over the closer's job at baltimore, but since 2003.

BJ Ryan's numbers since the all star game in 03:

182.1IP 8HR 74BB 249K 2.17ERA 1.14WHIP 12.3K/9

these are very good numbers. the 12.3K/9 is brad lidge like and his 12.8K/9 last year was tops in the AL. if this was 2003 and the jays were signing him based on his performance after the all-star game in that year, i'd be worried, but ryan has been pitching well for 2 and a half years. he has not had a history of being injured and i think injury would be the only thing that can keep him from posting the same numbers with the jays. JP believes he's hitting his prime now and i believe JP. ;-D well, most of the time. :-b

in the one year ryan was the closer for the o's, believe it or not :-b , baltimore was in contention until mid july i believe, so it's not like he has not closed a meaninful game. baltimore was a first place team for most of the year and they started to fall apart because of injuries and off the field distraction, still ryan went on by his business and finished the season strong.

the jays last big contract was delgado's. i believe it was a 4 year deal worth $68 million. if they were gonna give another guy a big contract like that, why didn't they just keep delgado then as jays seem to be in need of hitting more than they need pitching. well, i don't think anyone expected the pitching to be this good before the beginning of the 05 season. chacin has been a pleasant surprise. towers was very good for the team and the bullpen did a fine job, maybe not batista ;-) , frasor had a bumpy start, but finished the season pitching very well, ended the season among leaders in stranding inherited runners in the league. speier also did very well for the jays, heck, even vinny chulk did ok. delgado's contract was taking 30% of the team's payroll at the time, ryan's will likely take 13% of the total payroll.

the problem with batista was not so much that he blew only 3 more save opportunities than ryan, but the lack of confidence the team, and the fans, had on him. the timely grand slams given up in the 9th inning, the many walks given when trying to save a game, that's what killed batista. batista's final numbers were actually not bad if you look at it, but that's due to the great start he had in the season. after the break he posted a 5.35ERA along with a 1.70WHIP. 8-o no team with a closer with a WHIP that high can have confidence on the guy to close the game for them. hitters batted .290 against him in the second half. :-t and on top of all batista was having problems with zaun and that turned into a soap opera.

as i said in the other ryan thread, i think batista is gone. JP said batista would be back in the rotation as of right now, but i don't see that happening. ther's no way you can take chacin or towers or any other starter out to put batista in the mix.

how much money the jays have left to spend? it depends. JP said the payroll is about $68 million right now and he wants it to be around $75 million for 06. the jays owe batista $4.6 million, if they can trade him they will likely have more money. if they sign AJ burnett, who some people believe will be signed by the end of the week, they can let ted lilly go.

now, forget about the money the jays are giving ryan. if you are a jays fan, you have to be excited. the jays were contenders in the AL East for longer than most people expected in 05, the team is young and have exciting players on the field, it's a pleasure to watch hudson, wells and koskie playing great D out there. the organization made changes in the ballpark and i think most people would agree that it has improved the in-game experience, if only they would get rid of that game host and the jays force. :-P more changes have been promised for the next two years. partly because of those changes and the good team the jays have, fans seem to be coming back to watch the games. the jays topped 2 million total attendance for the first time since 99. there were always complaints that the jays never went after the big FA and that they don't spend ted rogers' dough, that has just changed. sure they overpaid for ryan, but if it weren't the jays to do that, someone else would have done it. if wagner signed before ryan, i'm not sure the jays would have been able to get him.

monday was a good day for the jays. :-)

welcome to toronto bj ryan. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:52 pm

talk all you want, I'll believe it when I see the Jays sign BOTH Giles and Burnett ;-7

And to the guy who said I am comparing Teahen to Brett. I am not. Teahen have NO power at this point
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:06 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:talk all you want, I'll believe it when I see the Jays sign BOTH Giles and Burnett ;-7

And to the guy who said I am comparing Teahen to Brett. I am not. Teahen have NO power at this point

Nobody said the Jays would sign both of them, I was the only one who said there was a slight possibility that could happen.

You were the one who said the Jays didn't have a chance at Giles. Want to rescind that statement now? :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:15 pm

mweir145 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:talk all you want, I'll believe it when I see the Jays sign BOTH Giles and Burnett ;-7

Nobody said the Jays would sign both of them, I was the only one who said there was a slight possibility that could happen.

You were the one who said the Jays didn't have a chance at Giles. Want to rescind that statement now? :-D

I said there is a better chance that Darcy Tucker will score 30 goals. :-D

Now I say Tucker will score 40 goals this season, you should pick him up in our league, mweir.

okay, okay, it seems like Toronto is serious about spending money, I'll apologize and take back the statement when they sign Gile

we cool? ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:42 pm

Yeah, we cool. The Jays aren't afraid to spend the big bucks these days. ;-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mrider » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Hey PWF - a couple of us asked what inside info you have that Giles isn't interested in Toronto. Are you going to respond?

what inside info do you have him interested in Toronto? :-?

Umm ESPN insider thats my inside info.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers