Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:05 pm

mweir145 wrote:Image

B.J. Ryan, Toronto Blue Jay... :-D

Amen brother. B-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:26 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Batista only had 3 more blown save last year. I am not saying he's a great closer but he's very much serviceable and there are better places to spend money than on a closer w/o much of a track record.

Now if they had got Wagner instead I wouldn't be complaining as much now.

But track record is the key, Don't talk potential with me. [/b]Ryan is 30[/b]

Ryan is more likely to improve at his age, Wagner isn't.

compare Ryan with Wagner is like comparing Mike Cameron with Vlad Guerrerro

Are you serious? Maybe you should take a look at their stats again, over the last 2-3 years..

PWF, I think your the one that's nuts on this one.

I don't see why you think Ryan is so bad. It's nowhere near comparing Vlad and Mike Cameron. That is by far the worst comparison that I've ever heard someone say.

As RynMan said, I'd rather have Ryan. He's younger and I think he'll be the better pitcher.

maybe not Cameron to Vlad. But you can't just judge somebody by 2 years. Wagner had a way longer track record.

But I do have faith in J.P.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Hey PWF - a couple of us asked what inside info you have that Giles isn't interested in Toronto. Are you going to respond?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Hey PWF - a couple of us asked what inside info you have that Giles isn't interested in Toronto. Are you going to respond?

what inside info do you have him interested in Toronto? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:47 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Hey PWF - a couple of us asked what inside info you have that Giles isn't interested in Toronto. Are you going to respond?

I have no inside info besides the published facts that Riccardi has said that he wants to sign Giles by the end of the week and that Giles' agent has said that they have had positive talks with the Jays:

Ricciardi has told people that he would like to have either Giles or starting pitcher Burnett signed this week so he can go to the winter meetings in Dallas, which begin Sunday, ready to trade to add another hitter or starter.

"We've had a number of conversations with the Blue Jays and all of them have been positive," Giles's agent, Joe Bick, said last night. "But the truth is we just found out last Wednesday that there was no chance of getting anything done with the San Diego Padres [Giles's former team] and now we're moving forward and looking at our other options. Toronto's one of them."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ry/Sports/

but for some reason you haved poo-pooed the idea of Giles coming to Toronto and you are acting like you know something. So what is behind your opinion that Toronto has no chance at landing him?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:53 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

The Blue Jays made what were described as "significant inroads" over the weekend in their pursuit of Brian Giles, a person familiar with negotiations told The Globe and Mail.
The Jays will announce the signing of B.J. Ryan today and they still hope to add either A.J. Burnett or Giles. "We've had a number of conversations with the Blue Jays and all of them have been positive," agent Joe Bick said. "But the truth is we just found out last Wednesday that there was no chance of getting anything done with the San Diego Padres and now we're moving forward and looking at our other options. Toronto's one of them."

Yeah, what's your story PWF?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Err just for kicks, check out these numbers:

2005 vs. NYY: 8.2 IP, 6.23 ERA, 1.73 WHIP, .273 BAA
2005 vs. BOS: 7.2 IP, 5.87 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, .324 BAA

Lol, just trying to stir up some trouble. He was fine against them in 2004, though.

If it is true that offers to all three (Ryan, Burnett, Giles) were submitted at the same time, I suppose it's just sad for the Jays that it wasn't one of the latter two who accepted first (it also seems like this offer was the one that couldn't be refused, while AJ and Giles got offers that were expected and being offered by other teams). It's a step in the right direction, but one of the other two would've helped a whole lot more.

I'd rather have Billy Wagner for the upcoming season (I trust BJ fantasy wise, but I want to see him closing at this high level another season before I put him above the value of Billy Wagner, a superb veteran closer), but BJ Ryan should be the better pitcher over the duration of this contract.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 am

I guess that we can go back to ignoring PWF's posts.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby garf112 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:45 pm

How can you take a guy seriously when his banner compares Mark Teahan to George Brett? Wow, PWF, you just lost a lot of credibility with me.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers