Toronto overpays for Ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Toronto overpays for Ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:44 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I thought Batista did a fine job as a closer and they should pursuit a power hitter at 1B(why did let Delgado go in the first place?) or a SP(Burnett)

Mweir would say differently. :-b

Batista wasn't the answer.

The Jays signed Ryan knowing that they had to give him a lot. THey had to show that Toronto was going to contend and wasn't afraid to give money to some free agents. They had to show that we are pushing for contention. Critics don't even know if Ryan will falter. If he does amazing, we will look pretty good. I also think that there is going to be a deal with Batista, because theres not really much room for him and they must have thought something out before signing Ryan.

Thats just my .02
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:50 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I thought Batista did a fine job as a closer and they should pursuit a power hitter at 1B(why did let Delgado go in the first place?) or a SP(Burnett)

The Jays signed Ryan knowing that they had to give him a lot. THey had to show that Toronto was going to contend and wasn't afraid to give money to some free agents. They had to show that we are pushing for contention. Critics don't even know if Ryan will falter. If he does amazing, we will look pretty good. I also think that there is going to be a deal with Batista, because theres not really much room for him and they must have thought something out before signing Ryan.

Thats just my .02

They need a number 2 starter and a power bat wayyyy more than 3 more saves from Ryan
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:51 pm

I know if I were the Blue Jays, I would rather have $10million invested in a proven hitter or SP before a 1 year 30+ year old closer...
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:56 pm

dyuen87 wrote:

mweir might disagree with you on batista :-b .

A LOT of people would disagree with that assessment of Batista. :-[ :-P

He was totally undependable, and even our catcher Greg Zaun was visibly frustrated dealing with him towards the end of last year.

Batista's salary is quite high too, $4.7M a year or so I think, so he will definitely be moved. When he does get moved, it will ultimately like paying about $4.6M/year to upgrade from Batista to Ryan, which is a bit much, but starts to seem like peanuts when you think of the scheme of the Rogers empire. Ryan I also suspect will be 100X more dependable than Batista, which is what you want out of a closer.

Bottom line re: 'overpaying' is that the Jays have become a team that needs to overpay guys to come here, so if they have the budget for it now, they may as well spend it rather than get left at the altar consistently like they've been the last few seasons.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:57 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Thats just my .02

They need a number 2 starter and a power bat wayyyy more than 3 more saves from Ryan

They still have enough for either Burnett or Giles.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:08 pm

It's easy for us to sit back and say a GM overpays for a player because all we look at are numbers. BJ Ryan, I'm sure, didn't have Tornoto on his short list of destinations. Not a contender, in a tough division, and not the most desirable cities (Hey I like Tornoto, it's just not in the tropics).

Anyway, Tornoto is realisitically going to need more than a solid 1B and another starter to reach the play-offs in this division. But BJ Ryan is a start.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:09 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Thats just my .02

They still have enough for either Burnett or Giles.

Giles? Are you dreaming? 8-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:19 pm

BJ Ryan closing games and Batista as the potential set up guy makes Toronto a much more attractive place for FA starters.

Bud Selig and anybody else criticizing this deal have to either move us to a different division or put in a salary cap before they should be allowed to criticize. We need to compete with the evil empire and the evil empire wanna-bes up in Beantown - how can we do this without overpaying for a few guys.

Our recent history is of developing good young talent like Jeff Kent, Cezar Izturis, Michael Young, Chris Carpenter etc and then seeing them go off and be all-stars for other teams. Well no more! Now we take other teams' good young talent.
Last edited by Mookie4ever on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:24 pm

You tell 'em, Mookie! :-D

Here is an interesting article from Hardball Times discussing the signing. They actually conclude that it isn't too bad a deal, considering salary inflation and his likely future performance. Good read.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:41 pm

George_Foreman wrote:You tell 'em, Mookie! :-D

Here is an interesting article from Hardball Times discussing the signing. They actually conclude that it isn't too bad a deal, considering salary inflation and his likely future performance. Good read.

Thanks for the interesting read. ;-)

PlayingWithFire wrote:Giles? Are you dreaming? 8-o

No. Toronto is one of the places Giles is interested in. ;-7
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers