Cards Ready to Make Offer for J. Jones? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards Ready to Make Offer for J. Jones?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:19 pm

Wow! 5 years for Giles is reckless at best. He'll be 40 for the last year of that deal.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Jones

Postby joeg24 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:22 pm

Twins fan here who watched this guy everyday for years, sad to see Jones go as he's a decent player and good buddies with Hunter, but we can't keep up with 7 mil obvioulsy. I don't think he's worth it. He's OK in the field. Has an average arm that was costly in the playoffs two years ago and also is a easy match up if you have the right pitchers in the bullpen late in games. He did have several clutch hits last year that were great, but other wise was a lot of strikeouts and popups to shallow RF.

If the Twins would of shelled him out 7 per, I would of been super pissed, however money is a ton less common here.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:03 pm

Looks like Giles is out of the picture (unless he turns down his retirement package from the Blue Jays). Are the Cardinals looking at the 2nd tier of SPs, such as Washburn or Millwood? I'd think a Millwood signing wouldn't be a bad idea, and we wouldn't have to spend the farm to get him. Could make the club stronger as a whole, and would maybe prefer a Millwood signing, any thoughts??
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Wow! 5 years for Giles is reckless at best. He'll be 40 for the last year of that deal.

Agreed. That's borderline insanity.

8-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby clevername » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 pm

from what I've read, the reporter who reported the 5 year Giles deal is not the most reliable of reporters.

Before the silliness with the BJ Ryan deal, I would think there was no way the Jays would be so stupid. I don't know now, though.

:-P

Contracts like the rumored Jones deal are indicative of the huge problem this poor free agent class is going to cause teams in a couple of years. Signing a player of that caliber to almost 7 million a year for 3 years...

why not simply hold on to your money, spend it on 1 year reliever help or better 1 year bench players, and spend it next year when the crop is much better? I know, I know...win now, but does anyone honestly believe the only thing keeping the Cards from winning the series is Jacque Jones? Better off playing Taguchi and Rodriguez (probably get better production) and get someone through trade or next year.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 pm

rotoworld wrote:Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press was told that the Royals have offered Jacque Jones of a four-year, $24 million contract.

This is the same writer who got the rumors started of the Cardinals potentially offering Jones a three-year, $20 million contract. That somehow morphed into the two sides being close to a deal, something there hasn't been any evidence of. With the Cardinals, Padres and Mariners all believed to be in on Jones, the Royals probably don't have much of a chance.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers