Cards Ready to Make Offer for J. Jones? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cards Ready to Make Offer for J. Jones?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:26 am

RAmst23 wrote:This signing sucks and made me fairly angry with the Cardinals. It made me angry and frustrated, so frustrated I decided to check the MLB list of free agents for this year. The next best buy I found (Besides B. Giles)? Matt "got busted with steroids" Lawton. This is one weak year for OFers, and I think the Cardinals did the best they could.

If Giles "only" gets about 10 million this offseason, then I think maybe the Cardinals should have forked it over. Otherwise, eh, work with what you got.

I agree though, hopefully this is a signal of something bigger. Maybe a sign that AJ is coming to StL? Who knows, but Jones won't add much to this years club.. Jones starting and a platoon of Gall/Rodriguez with oft-injured Edmonds in CF? Not looking great out there.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. :-[ I think that Jocketty and LaRussa were more serious than people thought when they said that pitching was the priority this winter. A move like thie surely means that they're going to make a splash in the pitching market either via FA or maybe even a trade since that has to be the only reason they're not willing to pay a superior player in Giles $3-$4million more per.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:35 am

The Cards have never been one to splurge. I do not think you can read much into a Jones vs Giles signing. Sanders was making 4M in 05. They will need to do something with 2b. Morris and Taverez need to be replaced potentially.

It probably depends on where they feel they want to spend prime money on.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:49 am

TheYanks04 wrote:It probably depends on where they feel they want to spend prime money on.

I agree and that's why I think that this means they're going to be going after another SP from somewhere. 2B can be filled cheaply (they did it last year and the year before, so why not three in a row?) and the OF and pen are the only real areas that need serious work. So "conceding" (IMO anyway) one of the "priority" areas means that they're going to be going hard after SP or pen help.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:56 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:It probably depends on where they feel they want to spend prime money on.

I agree and that's why I think that this means they're going to be going after another SP from somewhere. 2B can be filled cheaply (they did it last year and the year before, so why not three in a row?) and the OF and pen are the only real areas that need serious work. So "conceding" (IMO anyway) one of the "priority" areas means that they're going to be going hard after SP or pen help.

Well I am sure we would be able to give you Blowmack back on the cheap :-b .
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:04 am

This would also seem to confirm the theory:

Rotoworld:
A.J. Burnett's agent confirmed that the Cardinals remain in the mix for his client and said he expected talks to heat up this week.
"I could anticipate some movement, movement from some clubs, and we could see things pick up in the next few days," said Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker. "I don't anticipate things being finalized (with any team), but that could be one phone call away. It's difficult to speculate on that." Burnett is believed to be the Cardinals' primary focus. They haven't been in contact with Brian Giles in nearly two weeks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:35 am

TheYanks04 wrote:This would also seem to confirm the theory:

Rotoworld:
A.J. Burnett's agent confirmed that the Cardinals remain in the mix for his client and said he expected talks to heat up this week.
"I could anticipate some movement, movement from some clubs, and we could see things pick up in the next few days," said Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker. "I don't anticipate things being finalized (with any team), but that could be one phone call away. It's difficult to speculate on that." Burnett is believed to be the Cardinals' primary focus. They haven't been in contact with Brian Giles in nearly two weeks.

:-/
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:14 am

RAmst23 wrote:This signing sucks and made me fairly angry with the Cardinals.

Well, to be fair, it hasn't happened yet. As of now, it's just a rumor.

StlToday.com wrote:Toronto, fresh from splurging for Ryan, also is in the derby for Burnett and San Diego's free-agent outfielder Brian Giles, another perceived target of the Cardinals. Giles' agent, Joe Bick, said after talks with the Padres ended last week that he "doesn't think anything will happen there." Joining Toronto, the Yankees and the Los Angeles Dodgers are reportedly interested.

Bick said it's been nearly two weeks since he heard from the Cardinals and there have been "certainly more aggressive teams." That can always change with a phone call, he cautioned.

That the Cardinals remain in the tight hunt for Burnett indicates the scope of their interest in the righthander, who went 12-12 with the Florida Marlins last season. Gifted with a plus-95-mph fastball, Burnett is considered the gem of the available starters. His wish for a five-year deal has been widely reported and that the Cardinals still are in talks may indicate their willingness to shape an inventive deal into that mold.

There are a couple of interesting comments in there.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:16 am

RAmst23 wrote:This signing sucks and made me fairly angry with the Cardinals. It made me angry and frustrated, so frustrated I decided to check the MLB list of free agents for this year. The next best buy I found (Besides B. Giles)? Matt "got busted with steroids" Lawton. This is one weak year for OFers, and I think the Cardinals did the best they could.
Not great options but I'd take Burnitz, P. Willson and Encarnacion over Lawton.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:18 am

Well see how it all plays out but if the options are
Burnett 5 years $50 million or Giles 3 years $30 million, I'd want Giles.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Well see how it all plays out but if the options are
Burnett 5 years $50 million or Giles 3 years $30 million, I'd want Giles.

but if its burnett at 5/50 or giles for 5/55 i'd go burnett 8 days a week. with the market the way it is going, burnett is going to get at least 5/60.

And now Ricciardi is looking for another high-ranking officer/free-agent, making a five-year, $55-million offer to outfielder Brian Giles. The 34-year-old left-handed hitter batted .301 this season with 15 homers and 83 RBIs in 158 games for the San Diego Padres.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Baseball/2 ... 5-sun.html
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers