Brian McCann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian McCann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian McCann

Postby clevername » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:28 pm

anyone know if he could take the starting job at C for the Braves next year?
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:41 pm

with the way he played down the stretch for the braves this past year, I dont see any reason why he shouldn't be the starting everyday C for the Braves this upcoming year
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:52 pm

He was the starter at the end of the year and I don't hear that they plan to change. He's a good 'un.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:03 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:with the way he played down the stretch for the braves this past year, I dont see any reason why he shouldn't be the starting everyday C for the Braves this upcoming year

best reason is that estrada's getting paid about 4x as much as mccann is, so unless they manage to deal estrada in the off-season and sign a cheap backup, there will be pressure to play estrada because of his salary if nothing else. personally, i'd like to see estrada moved (he's good enough to be starting somewhere) and the braves bring in someone along the lines of eddie perez for the next year or so until saltamachia is ready to go.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:27 am

George_Foreman wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:with the way he played down the stretch for the braves this past year, I dont see any reason why he shouldn't be the starting everyday C for the Braves this upcoming year

best reason is that estrada's getting paid about 4x as much as mccann is, so unless they manage to deal estrada in the off-season and sign a cheap backup, there will be pressure to play estrada because of his salary if nothing else. personally, i'd like to see estrada moved (he's good enough to be starting somewhere) and the braves bring in someone along the lines of eddie perez for the next year or so until saltamachia is ready to go.

It's not clear what Estrada will make, given that it's his arb year. But, the Braves don't strike me as a team stupid enough to play a guy and hurt their chances of winning just because he's making more money than someone else. They'll deal Estrada, once the FA signings clear up the bidders.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:42 pm

Bobby Cox is loyal to a fault with players...Estrada will start the year unless he is dealt. That doesn't mean that McCann will collect dust even if Estrada is the season starter. Typically Bobby has given his starter at least one start off per rotation.

two years ago Estrada played extremely well, he had a good average and was a very clutch hitter even though he didn't hit for much power he routinely knocked in players when they were on base.

;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:13 pm

Well, McCann was starting at the end of last year when Estrada was healthy. I think at worst you'll see a McCann 3/Estrada 2 type of rotation.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TonyCee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:08 am

wkelly91 wrote:Bobby Cox is loyal to a fault with players...Estrada will start the year unless he is dealt. That doesn't mean that McCann will collect dust even if Estrada is the season starter. Typically Bobby has given his starter at least one start off per rotation.

two years ago Estrada played extremely well, he had a good average and was a very clutch hitter even though he didn't hit for much power he routinely knocked in players when they were on base.

;-D

Agreed. McCann is very young still so there is no rush and Estrada is a good catcher.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:20 am

Estrada will most likely be traded.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Well, McCann was starting at the end of last year when Estrada was healthy. I think at worst you'll see a McCann 3/Estrada 2 type of rotation.

Actually, Estrada wasn't completely healthy at any point after he took that hard collision at the plate in early June. He had to deal with constant back spasms and lost a lot of mobility/flexibility resulting in a down year. But as was mentioned the year before last he was very reliable and an All-star. McCann is still very young. To have two catchers with their potential is something almost every club would envy as catching is a very taxing job and injuries are almost certain. Braves will keep them both.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers