Baltimore Sun-hot off the press - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baltimore Sun-hot off the press

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baltimore Sun-hot off the press

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:01 am

The Orioles have offered Paul Byrd a 2 year deal worth between 10-13 million. The Sun also reports that Nomar Garciaparra (?, move him to 3B and Mora to OF?) and Ramon Hernandez are atop the O's wishlist. Millwood will be in their sights as well regardless of what happens with Byrd. The Sun also reports that Flash Gordon, Todd Jones and Braden Looper (wow, amazing, just when I think their options can't possibly get any worse, Looper gets thrown into the mix!!! :-[ ) The article also states that Konerko is a distant possibility as well.

So, let's analyze if I may, Byrd is decent. He had a great year last year, but he's obviously not the savior to the O's pitching staff. He has mastered his off-speed pitching, and I don't think Mazzone benefits him much at all.

Melvin Mora is a stud defensively at 3B, period. He boots a few routine balls throughout the year, but he makes many spectacular plays. Where are they gonna put Nomar? 2B, SS, and 3B are solid for the O's defensively. Like I said earlier, they would probably move Mora to the OF where the O's have many holes.

Millwood is a stud, PLEASE, PLEASE come to B-more. I realize the Indians are a powerhouse offense, but they gave you NOOOO support last year. This would be very nice!

Closers, well there have been about 3 or so posts in the past couple of days regarding the O's closer, so I won't say much here. Except, this can't possibly be good, the market is greatly inflated because of the ridiculous contract the Jays gave Ryan.

An interesting note, the O's offered Ryan a 3 year deal worth $15 million before last year, and came in at 3 for $18 this year. Haha!! They were gonna come back w/ 4 years for 26.5. Obviously they were way off!!
Last edited by foulballstrike3 on Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:32 pm

Nomar could DH now that Palmeiro's probably done. It's not like he's a prize in the field anyway, and it'd benefit him because he'd have a better chance of staying healthy all season.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:51 pm

I agree that Byrd is not going to save the pitching, but he is solid 3-4 guy a reliable innings eater who gives you a chance to win every time out. I was hoping to Angels would resign him. He's a good pick up.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Comrade Antelope » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:36 pm

I like Byrd too. Byrd. Bedard, Cabrera is a pretty good young staff. If they add Millwood to anchor, they look pretty solid, if not spectacular. Mora to the OF would be greast if Nomar was added. Nomar should come cheap, and if he stays healthy, he will produce well. If he gets injured, Mora can move right back to 3B (they do have Markakis coming on strong in the minors if the need arises). If Ramon hops on board, Javy can DH half the time, saving his strength. However, I doubt the O's will outbid the Mets for a 2nd catcher. If all goes well their line-up looks pretty competitive:

Roberts 2B
Mora LF
Garciaparra 3B
Tejada SS
Gibbons 1B
Lopez C
?????? DH
E. Byrnes RF
L. Matos CF

They really need a good LH bat to break things up. Gibbons is their only threat on the left side.

K. Millwood
E. Bedard
P. Byrd
B. Chen
D. Cabrera
Penn/Maine/Lopez

not too shabby...
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Comrade Antelope wrote:K. Millwood
E. Bedard
P. Byrd
B. Chen
D. Cabrera
Penn/Maine/Lopez

not too shabby...

Meh, I am not that impressed with this staff. There is no ace and I would even say not a distinct number 2 type. Millwood had a decent year, but he doesn't impress me at all. Bedard may develop into a number 2, but he struggled hard in the 2nd half last year. Byrd is the perfect number 3 type. Chen is nothing special and Cabrera has control issues.

This rotation won't cut it IMO.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zhutou » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:16 pm

cabrera will be a beast next year. mazzone is just too good.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:29 pm

Comrade Antelope wrote:I like Byrd too. Byrd. Bedard, Cabrera is a pretty good young staff. If they add Millwood to anchor, they look pretty solid, if not spectacular. Mora to the OF would be greast if Nomar was added. Nomar should come cheap, and if he stays healthy, he will produce well. If he gets injured, Mora can move right back to 3B (they do have Markakis coming on strong in the minors if the need arises). If Ramon hops on board, Javy can DH half the time, saving his strength. However, I doubt the O's will outbid the Mets for a 2nd catcher. If all goes well their line-up looks pretty competitive:

Roberts 2B
Mora LF
Garciaparra 3B
Tejada SS
Gibbons 1B
Lopez C
?????? DH
E. Byrnes RF
L. Matos CF

They really need a good LH bat to break things up. Gibbons is their only threat on the left side.

K. Millwood
E. Bedard
P. Byrd
B. Chen
D. Cabrera
Penn/Maine/Lopez

not too shabby...

I think Markakis might start the season w/ the O's, he's on their active roster right now. He went off in Frederick and Bowie last year. You're correct about a left handed bat no doubt. Molina will probably go to the mets. Hernandez is a distinct possibility, outside of pitching he is their top target. That puts Javy at 1B/DH, and Gibbons can play RF/DH.

In any event, they need Millwood AND Byrd.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:34 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Comrade Antelope wrote:K. Millwood
E. Bedard
P. Byrd
B. Chen
D. Cabrera
Penn/Maine/Lopez

not too shabby...

Meh, I am not that impressed with this staff. There is no ace and I would even say not a distinct number 2 type. Millwood had a decent year, but he doesn't impress me at all. Bedard may develop into a number 2, but he struggled hard in the 2nd half last year. Byrd is the perfect number 3 type. Chen is nothing special and Cabrera has control issues.

This rotation won't cut it IMO.

Millwood doesn't impress you at all??? 200 IPs w/ an ERA under 3.00!! Haha, it may be just me, but in today's era that's astounding. True, he pitched in the central last year, but c'mon that's great. If he gets any run support last year, he obviously finishes with a record better than 9-11. People (Cy Young voters included) put way too much stock in pitching record.

I really wish that the Indians woulda signed Ryan, now they have the money to toss at Millwood.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Sometimes it's not so much how good the guy coming is is, as how bad the guy going out is. Bringing in Millwood and Byrd is probably a 5-10 win improvement over what we got from RLopez and Ponson last year. That gets you to .500. To contend, you need to make an equal or better improvement on offense.

Adding Garciaparra and dropping Palmeiro is, at best, a small gain (I wouldn't sign Nomar unless he agreed to a performance based contract to protect us in case of injury and I wouldn't put him at 3B over Mora. DH him to protect him from injury--of course, I doubtyou get him if he doesn't get a chance to play in the field).

In order to improve the offense enough to contend,you'd have to sign Konerko AND Molina or RHernandez. That gets you another 5-10 wins, and puts you in the mid 80-90 win range that at least give you a chance.

Of course, anyone who thinks the O's will sign 5 free agents is delusional.

My thoughts:
Sign Konerko or trade for Chad Tracy. That gives needed lefty bat at 1B. Put Gibbons at rf and platoon him with Byrnes.

Sign either Millwood, Burnitz or Byrd and hope Leo works his magic on young pitchers.

Forget targetting the catchers. The value for what they cost is too much. You don't need a another full-time catcher. You need a good back-up (unlike the c*** we've had). I'd look at Yorvit Torrealba, now available cheap, since the Mariners signed the Japanese stud. He's still young (27) and he crushes lefties. Against lefties, you move Javy to DH and play Torrealba.

For LF, I go for a short-term deal for a good field, good hit player in Rondell White. Other than Konerko there aren't a lot of decent young players worth pursuing, so save your $

Versus righties then:
C: Lopez
1B: Konerko/Tracy
2B: Roberts
SS: Tejada
3B: Mora
RF: Gibbons
CF: Matos
LF: White
DH: Walter Young

Versus lefties:
C; Torrealba
ss: Tejada
RF: Byrnes
DH: Lopez

It ain't great, but it's a little more realistic.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Comrade Antelope » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:24 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Sometimes it's not so much how good the guy coming is is, as how bad the guy going out is. Bringing in Millwood and Byrd is probably a 5-10 win improvement over what we got from RLopez and Ponson last year. That gets you to .500. To contend, you need to make an equal or better improvement on offense.

Adding Garciaparra and dropping Palmeiro is, at best, a small gain (I wouldn't sign Nomar unless he agreed to a performance based contract to protect us in case of injury and I wouldn't put him at 3B over Mora. DH him to protect him from injury--of course, I doubtyou get him if he doesn't get a chance to play in the field).

In order to improve the offense enough to contend,you'd have to sign Konerko AND Molina or RHernandez. That gets you another 5-10 wins, and puts you in the mid 80-90 win range that at least give you a chance.

Of course, anyone who thinks the O's will sign 5 free agents is delusional.

My thoughts:
Sign Konerko or trade for Chad Tracy. That gives needed lefty bat at 1B. Put Gibbons at rf and platoon him with Byrnes.

Sign either Millwood, Burnitz or Byrd and hope Leo works his magic on young pitchers.

Forget targetting the catchers. The value for what they cost is too much. You don't need a another full-time catcher. You need a good back-up (unlike the c*** we've had). I'd look at Yorvit Torrealba, now available cheap, since the Mariners signed the Japanese stud. He's still young (27) and he crushes lefties. Against lefties, you move Javy to DH and play Torrealba.

For LF, I go for a short-term deal for a good field, good hit player in Rondell White. Other than Konerko there aren't a lot of decent young players worth pursuing, so save your $

Versus righties then:
C: Lopez
SS: Tejada
RF: Gibbons
DH: Walter Young

Versus lefties:
C; Torrealba
ss: Tejada
RF: Byrnes
DH: Lopez

It ain't great, but it's a little more realistic.

I agree with leaving catchers alone, heck, Fasano did a respectable job last year if they really want to move Lopez to DH. No way in hell should the O's mess with RonDL White. Id rather take my chances on a one year incentive laden contrat with Nomar. I doubt we'll get Konerko, but Tracy would be a good pick-up, not earth moving, but a good young talent IMO. Ireally think they can fill their OF need from within. And as for their starting pitching, I want to be in the fantasy league with Phatferd if thinks Millwood, Byrd, Bedard, and Cabrera are not repectable pitchers...
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers