Sizemore this years Morneau? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sizemore this years Morneau?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby foulballstrike3 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:30 pm

The twins had Morneau swinging for situational hitting, he needs to step up there and rip it.

Sizemore is a stud, but people are obviously still viewing him as the guy they got in late rounds or off of the waiver wire. Well, that isn't happening again, so you better grab him early if you want him and there are other knowledgable owners in the league.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:59 pm

Other outfielders taken in the same mocks:

Bonds-32, 43, 62
Matsui-33, 44
Berkman-29, 36, 37
Podsednik-52
Pierre-54
Wells-65
Damon-66 8-o Three rounds later :-*
Griffey-76
Floyd-82
Crisp-85

I think he is this years victim of hype....Morneau....Patterson....etc.

:-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:10 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Other outfielders taken in the same mocks:

Bonds-32, 43, 62
Matsui-33, 44
Berkman-29, 36, 37
Podsednik-52
Pierre-54
Wells-65
Damon-66 8-o Three rounds later :-*
Griffey-76
Floyd-82
Crisp-85

I think he is this years victim of hype....Morneau....Patterson....etc.

:-?

Bonds? Who knows?

Matsui, Berkman and Damon seems about right The first two are the only ones I'd definitely take ahead of Sizemore in a keeper league.

Podsednik's way too early.

The others seem roughly correct.

Crisp beat Sizemore in just ONE category last year. Why do you think he should be drafted before him?

Floyd had his best year since 2001...and still got beat by Sizemore in 3 out of 5 categories. Griffey's had one good season since 2000...and he still only beat Sizemore in 2 cats. Wells got beat in 3 out of 5.

Damon got beat in 3 out of 5 cats, and has an uncertain team on his horizon.

Podsednik won one category over Sizemore. Same for Pierre. They are such negatives in HR and RBIs that it offsets their SB advantage.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:12 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:3rd round for this guy?? I think Sizemore is a terrific player, loved having him on a couple teams last year. Performs solidly in three cats (BAVG, HRs, RBIs) above average at SB and great at Runs. Is Sizemore a 5 category guy? Sort of. He sure doesn't hurt you in any of the categories, but he doesn't really do anything above the average in the mentioned HR, RBI, and BA block. You're mainly drafting Sizemore for the help to SBs and Runs, so if you have SB covered by some other positions, then wait and see if he's available somewhere past the 5th.

On another note, Sizemore may be due for a drop in numbers. In 640 ABs last year, he walked 52 times and SO 132. Will his BA drop as pitchers start having him chase stuff out of the zone more? Also, while he had 22 SBs, he was CS 10 times. Just notes wanted to pass along!

Guys that help you in all 5 cats are more valuable than you make out. The best comparison is not to "the average", but to a replacement player. And the issue is not how he did last year, but what you can expect next year.

Let's look at the K/BB ratio

April-May: 36/9 or 4K for every BB
June-Oct.: 94/43 or 2.2K for every BB

Yes, but to figure out how he'll do this year is to use last years stats.

But anyway, I'm not saying Sizemore won't have value next year. I'm saying he won't have 3rd round value. He isn't a value pick if the price you have to pay for him is taking him there. Looking at wkelly's post, I wouldn't take Sizemore before Mastui, or Berkman, or Damon.

Also, didn't catch the splits on his K/BB ratio, so thank you for that info. However, while he did walk more, that's still just a ton of K's, and he'll need to cut down on that overall number IMO.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:27 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Yes, but to figure out how he'll do this year is to use last years stats.

But anyway, I'm not saying Sizemore won't have value next year. I'm saying he won't have 3rd round value. He isn't a value pick if the price you have to pay for him is taking him there. Looking at wkelly's post, I wouldn't take Sizemore before Mastui, or Berkman, or Damon.

Also, didn't catch the splits on his K/BB ratio, so thank you for that info. However, while he did walk more, that's still just a ton of K's, and he'll need to cut down on that overall number IMO.

In a keeper, he's 3rd round value. In a non-keeper, I'd bump him back a round or two, but not much.

Yes, I wouldn't take Sizemore before Matsui or Berkman. But, Damon?

Here's reasonable projections for both of them:

HR: Damon 10-15; Sizemore 20-25; Advantage: Sizemore
Runs: Damon 115-120, if he stays with the Red Sox. If he goes to prety much any other team, this drops by about 10-20 percent. Sizemore 105-115. PUSH
RBIs: Damon 75-85, if he stays on the Red Sox. Again, a 10-15 percent drop for almost any other team. Sizemore, 75-85. PUSH
SB: Damon 15-25; Sizemore, 20-30. Slight advantage Sizemore.
BA: Damon 295-315; Sizemore; 275-295. Advantage, Sizemore.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:32 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:BA: Damon 295-315; Sizemore; 275-295. Advantage, Sizemore.

Am I missing something :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:21 pm

I don't understand the comparison between Morneau and Sizemore. Grady played an entire season well compared to how Morneau only had 74 games played in '04.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BritSox » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:45 pm

Sizemore for me is 2004 Damon... decent avg, lots of runs, and 20-20. That said, if he's going third round- you gotta think, Ichiro will probably only go slightly higher :-?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:09 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:BA: Damon 295-315; Sizemore; 275-295. Advantage, Sizemore.

Am I missing something :-?

Just checking to see if people were paying attention ;-7
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:00 pm

davidmarver wrote:I don't understand the comparison between Morneau and Sizemore. Grady played an entire season well compared to how Morneau only had 74 games played in '04.
Not that you say that. Where does the comparison come from?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers