Toronto signs BJ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Toronto signs BJ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:09 pm

Subversive wrote:To say that Hillenbrand was the best hitter may be true, but that doesn't mean he's a good hitter. He's pretty much an empty batting average. I think Hinske might bounce back this year, and Hillenbrand has a lot more trade value, so I'd go the other way, personally.

Eric Hinske has had two years to bounce back from his horrible year in 2003, and he hasn't done so yet. Next year isn't the time to be giving him another chance, especially since it has been marketed as a "contending year" for the Jays. As for Hillenbrand, I'm not exactly what you mean by empty batting average. He was the most consistant hitter on the team for the entire season, and without him there last year, I don't even want to think about what horrid offensive numbers this team would have put up. He was near the top of the team in HRs, RBIs, AVG, OBP, SLG and OPS last year, I'm just not sure how it could be beneficial to the team to trade the best offensive player on it for more relief pitching (which is arguably the strongest component of the team).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:19 pm

Weir...why all the hate for Eric Hinske? His OPS+ last season was 100, which is the league average, and was higher than Rios', Koskie's, Adams', Hudson's, Zaun's, Hill's, and Johnson's. His RC/27 was 4.89, higher than the Blue Jays RPG.

The Blue Jays have worse offensive problems than Hinske.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby brandnew » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Man, that offense is horrible. They desperately need a couple hitters like Dunn/Giles... (hopefully they just get Dunn, and the Bravos sweep in and steal Giles :-D )
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:44 pm

davidmarver wrote:Weir...why all the hate for Eric Hinske? His OPS+ last season was 100, which is the league average, and was higher than Rios', Koskie's, Adams', Hudson's, Zaun's, Hill's, and Johnson's. His RC/27 was 4.89, higher than the Blue Jays RPG.

The Blue Jays have worse offensive problems than Hinske.

Of course they have worse offensive problems than Hinske, that's basically the reason they were under .500 last year. The problem is how he compares to the rest of the first basemen around the league. The Jays simply can't ever achieve their goal with a player like Eric Hinske playing full-time at first base (a position where you stereotypically will have a good power hitter). As for my dislike of him as a player (and for the most part, all other Jays fan I know), has stemmed from the fact that I, as many other fans did, had such high expectations of him after his rookie season. Those expectations have come crashing down after his rookie season (it also doesn't help that he's one of the highest paid players on the team due to that season), and it has come to a point where I've begun to write off his at bats when he comes to the plate. It probably isn't something you would understand unless you were a Jays fan having to watch him bat every single day. With Hinske, I've come to expect strikeouts with runners in scoring position, and anything more than that is a big positive. :-b

I'm hoping they can find a way to deal him in the off-season for something, or else we will yet again be stuck with him. If he stays, I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench as a lefty pinch-hitter. He might actually be productive in that role.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:15 am

I wish this thread was entitled "Toronto gets a BJ"
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:48 am

bigh0rt wrote:I wish this thread was entitled "Toronto gets a BJ"

LOL :-b

I'd give away Hinske to Tampa Bay for some Tropicana Orange juice.

Marver, it's just one of those things. Hinske to us, is like Burroughs was to you. We just don't like him. ;-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:46 am

I don't hate Hinske. He plays hard, tries and plays good defence even when he isn't hitting.

The problem is that after such a promising start we gave him a big contract and he has sucked and is taking a place of one of the promising young infielders that we have. We have too many IF and not enough spots. I don't blame Hinske for this. The problem was the signing of Hillenbrand, he was the spare tire.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby davidmarver » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:33 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Marver, it's just one of those things. Hinske to us, is like Burroughs was to you. We just don't like him. ;-)

If Hinske was our third-baseman last season instead of Burroughs, we probably would have won five extra games.

I get your point now, though. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:00 pm

TSN.CA wrote:TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Blue Jays are expected to announce the signing of free-agent closer B.J. Ryan at a news conference planned for Monday.

Word of a preliminary agreement between the Jays and Ryan on a $47-million US, five-year deal initially leaked out Friday. With all the details now finalized, the club is readying to celebrate the first big free-agent signing in the majors this off-season.

Not since the Jays signed Roger Clemens in December, 1996, have they lured a free agent of such stature.

Ryan, a six-foot-six, 230-pound closer, should transform the Blue Jays bullpen with his power arm and intimidating presence on the mound, while his signing should signal to other free agents that this team intends to be a player on the market.

After three years of sifting through the bargain bin for players and spending about $50 million a year on payroll, the Blue Jays can now compete for Madison Avenue talent with baseball's big boys.

General manager J.P. Ricciardi is armed with $160 million to spend on players the next two seasons after team owner Ted Rogers boosted the payroll.

The Jays are also pursuing starter A.J. Burnett and outfielder Brian Giles and now have an attractive asset in closer Miguel Batista, a former starter with just one year and $4.75 million left on his contract, who can be dealt, pushed into a set-up role or be returned to the rotation.

Ryan converted 36 of 41 save opportunities last season, his first year as closer with the Baltimore Orioles. He was 1-4 with a 2.43 earned-run average, striking out 100 in 70 1-3 innings.

The New York Yankees, Cleveland and Baltimore were also chasing Ryan.

The Blue Jays hope his addition will help sway Burnett, the most sought after free agent starter available, and Giles, one of the premier outfielders on the market.

Adding both of them could very well turn the Blue Jays, 80-82 in 2005, into legitimate contenders.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:40 am

Halo Homers wrote:I agree with Trash, 5 years 47 million for a closer, and the guy only done it for one year.

Toronto looks like there serious about contending, but they still need SP (Burnett?) and one more bat.
Definately overpaying, but he is an up and coming closer with huge potential.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers