Toronto signs BJ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Toronto signs BJ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 am

raiders_umpire wrote:That is a massive amount of money for a guy who has only closed one year in the majors, but I had Toronto pegged for SP and a big bopper bat help this year, not a closer. Oh well my Drays will still finish ahead of them in the AL East this year ;-) ;-D

And we'll be paying Chad Orvella a salary that's equal to about a couple of weeks of Ryan's salary. :-D That is, after we trade Baez which I'm crossing my fingers for. Dunno who we're going to get now that the Mets dealt Petit...
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:19 am

Well I like Ryan, but I do think it's a bit much. Though if Ryan gives us what he gave to the O's last year, it won't be as bad as some people think. As mentioned, he gives us a actual closer and someone we can rely on. Hopefully Ricciardi has something else in mind for a bat.

We'll see what happens.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:11 am

I'm not so sure that it is a done deal. ESPNEWS is reporting that Ricciardi has denied that there is an agreement in place. I guess we just need to wait and see.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:09 am

I got an analogy from someone on a different board... a closer is a luxury like TV's on your broken down car. You should make sure the engine runs first before you go pimping it out.

Do you guys think Giles will solve their offensive issues? Could they get Dunn TOO?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:38 am

I think I'm with the consensus here. A deal like that is probably what it was going to take to get him to sign there. I just hope for the Jays sake there is enough cash left in their wallets to pick up Burnett and a bat, because they need them more that a guy who throws 60-80 innings.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:44 am

wow, where did this come from??.. 8-o

I'm not sure what to make of this move, but I think overall I like it. Yeah, there's no doubt the Jays overpaid for him, but on the other hand Toronto has become one of those teams that needs to overpay free agents in order for them to come here. Hopefully they are making the same kind of offer to Burnett. Really, JP was given an extra bushelful of Teddy Rogers' money to spend for specifically this year and next year, so he may as well spend it, if he came up short again re: free agents this year he would've surely been fired at the end of the season. In this market, the Jays could not afford to continue to be mediocre. The Jays have learned that you can't compete in a division with Yankees/Red Sox/Baltimore if you only try to spend $50 million on your own.

As for what this does on the field, Ryan will help them out, Batista was totally undependable, and the Jays haven't really had a closer (for real) since Henke left. So this is a step in the right direction. ;-D
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:00 am

One less suitor for Hoffman :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:05 am

I did read somewhere that the Jays were going after Overbay. I don't think that solves too much, but it is an improvement.

I like Ryan on the Jays primarily because he doesn't have to adjust very much since he stays in the AL East...however, that is a very high price tag.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:15 am

go_jays_go wrote:Well I like Ryan, but I do think it's a bit much. Though if Ryan gives us what he gave to the O's last year, it won't be as bad as some people think. As mentioned, he gives us a actual closer and someone we can rely on. Hopefully Ricciardi has something else in mind for a bat.

We'll see what happens.

I don't think it will be in any way a bad deal for the Jays. I mean $9.4 million is only about a million more than what the most of the top closers in this league get, and it is obvious that the Jays do need to overpay free agents to get them to play here. How do we really know that he would actually sign for less on another team, anyway?

The real troubling part of this contract is the length of 5 years. By 2009 and 2010 (if he still remains on the team), fans may very well look back on this signing as a terrible error on the part of Ricciardi. However, if he is able to help the Jays during the "contention years" (2006-2008) like he's helped the Orioles over these past two years, I consider it a great deal. Sometimes, you just have to throw economics out the window if you want to win in any pro sports league (especially when you are as rich as Ted Rogers), this is primarily true when you have the Yankees and Red Sox in the same division.

This kind of signing will only make Toronto a more attractive destination for free agents, especially Burnett.
Hopefully, the Jays still have some salary room left to sign or trade for a "big bat" and if they are unable to sign Burnett, go for a Millwood/Washburn/Weaver type of pitcher.

For now, I'll just sit back and enjoy today-officially known as the day the Jays outbid the Yankees. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Apollo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:04 am

For now, I'll just sit back and enjoy today-officially known as the day the Jays outbid the Yankees.

Hah! :-)

The way closers shift around in this league, I'm scared to see anyone give a closer 5 years. Other than that, I'm of two minds: on one hand, I'm glad to see a midmarket team win a high-profile free agent. But on the other hand, the amount of money they had to commit to do it is terrifying. That's gonna rasie the bar for all the other free agents out there...
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers