BJ Ryan, don't go anywhere!! Some O's talk..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Ryan, don't go anywhere!! Some O's talk.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Ryan, don't go anywhere!! Some O's talk.....

Postby foulballstrike3 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Well, the O's offered up a 3 year contract for $18 million:
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp ... p&c_id=bal

The O's wishlist included a top line starter, a 1B, and a catcher along w/ resigning Ryan. Well, they aren't going to give Burnett the money he's looking for, the Marlins gave them every opp to obtain Delgado (they missed out on Thome and won't pay Konerko the absurd amount that he's looking for) but Delgado's contract scared them away obviously, they hopefully will still get either Hernandez or Molina and it looks like Ryan might go to Cleveland.

SOOOO..this is what they're left with, hopefully they can get a Millwood (flourished under Mazzone in Hotlanta), sign Molina or Hernandez and move Javy to 1B, and then hopefully Ryan bites. If not, they reportedly aren't going to give Ray the closer position yet.

This is obviously frustrating!!!!! The O's OF was horrible last year, and it looks like they're going into this year w/ the same OF save Nick Markakis who is their super stud prospect. I'm not as down on Byrnzie as most people are in Baltimore, and he's good friends w/ Zito and I'm sure Tejada has some relations w/ him as well. Come on over Zito!! I'm not completely against the O's giving up a Hayden Penn to get a top line starter similar to what the Red Sox did w/ Beckett.

Can't a guy dream??? Can't the O's get Zito, Millwood and Ryan for this year? They have enough bats in the lineup anyways, especially if they can get one of those catchers and I can live with the horrible OF (Gibby is solid). Zito opening day starter, Millwood #2, Bedard (hopefully he really comes around w/ Mazzone), Cabrera (same), and Lopez or Chen (obviously the O's aren't going to get Zito AND Millwood but still).

Sorry for the long post, especially since there are about 10,000 O's fans in the entire country! I definitely think this is their year to move since the FA market is pretty weak and the Spanks are riddled w/ that brutal pitching staff and I don't think Damon will fix everything for them if they do sign him. Hence, hell, get rid of Penn and whoever for Zito, LET'S DO THIS!!!!
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:46 pm

Maybe Ryan would resign with the O's if he wanted anything to do with them, which he doesn't, not way he resigns unless maybe they give something along 10mill a season, B Waggs money!
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:52 pm

I haven't heard about Ryan not wanting to play in Baltimore but I agree that $6M seems like a lowball. You can argue that closers are overpaid but the market is what it is and Ryan will probably get $8M at least.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:06 pm

Yuh, Ryan at 6 million is a steal. I would rather have Ryan than Hoffman, and he won't cost anywhere near as much.

As for Zito, you would have to blow Oakland out of the water with a bunch of prospects for a deal to get done. If Zito gets moved I'd say it would be for a bat.....which I don't see happening anyway. Then again, another young potential frontline pitcher for a few years ahead may be on the cards in Penn so who knows....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: BJ Ryan, don't go anywhere!! Some O's talk.....

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:13 am

foulballstrike3 wrote:Well, the O's offered up a 3 year contract for $18 million:

The O's wishlist included a top line starter, a 1B, and a catcher along w/ resigning Ryan. Well, they aren't going to give Burnett the money he's looking for, the Marlins gave them every opp to obtain Delgado (they missed out on Thome and won't pay Konerko the absurd amount that he's looking for) but Delgado's contract scared them away obviously, they hopefully will still get either Hernandez or Molina and it looks like Ryan might go to Cleveland.

SOOOO..this is what they're left with, hopefully they can get a Millwood (flourished under Mazzone in Hotlanta), sign Molina or Hernandez and move Javy to 1B, and then hopefully Ryan bites. If not, they reportedly aren't going to give Ray the closer position yet.

This is obviously frustrating!!!!! The O's OF was horrible last year, and it looks like they're going into this year w/ the same OF save Nick Markakis who is their super stud prospect. I'm not as down on Byrnzie as most people are in Baltimore, and he's good friends w/ Zito and I'm sure Tejada has some relations w/ him as well. Come on over Zito!! I'm not completely against the O's giving up a Hayden Penn to get a top line starter similar to what the Red Sox did w/ Beckett.

Can't a guy dream??? Can't the O's get Zito, Millwood and Ryan for this year? They have enough bats in the lineup anyways, especially if they can get one of those catchers and I can live with the horrible OF (Gibby is solid). Zito opening day starter, Millwood #2, Bedard (hopefully he really comes around w/ Mazzone), Cabrera (same), and Lopez or Chen (obviously the O's aren't going to get Zito AND Millwood but still).

Sorry for the long post, especially since there are about 10,000 O's fans in the entire country! I definitely think this is their year to move since the FA market is pretty weak and the Spanks are riddled w/ that brutal pitching staff and I don't think Damon will fix everything for them if they do sign him. Hence, hell, get rid of Penn and whoever for Zito, LET'S DO THIS!!!!

If the Orioles "had enough bats in their lineup" why did they finish tenth in the league in runs scored? The O's need more than a 1B, and a catcher (they really don't need to focus on a catcher, they just need to get a decent backup instead of the c*** they've been putting on the bench).

The Orioles need a 1B, a platoon partner for Gibbons at DH and THREE decent OFs. They also need at least two solid starters. And, they need to understand how to construct a bench, so you don't have to put dreck out there for every injury.

Once you see those needs, it's clear that the Orioles are still 2-4 years from having a prayer to contend. A team in their position shouldn't worry one bit about a closer. They should have traded Ryan last year.

The Orioles should not trade any of their decent prospects. Their farm system is thin enough as it is, and they need to focus on creating a strong young core.

If we had started rebuilding in 1997, like we should have, we'd be in a different place. But, we've merely wasted roster space on aging vets like Palmeiro, Sosa, Surhoff, and others. This team has a fundamental set of problems...They have no clue what it takes to win; they have no idea of what baseball talent is, and even less idea of how to develop it once you find it.

Sad to say, but the O's still are one of the worst run organizations in baseball.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Re: BJ Ryan, don't go anywhere!! Some O's talk.....

Postby foulballstrike3 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:49 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
foulballstrike3 wrote:Well, the O's offered up a 3 year contract for $18 million:

If the Orioles "had enough bats in their lineup" why did they finish tenth in the league in runs scored? The O's need more than a 1B, and a catcher (they really don't need to focus on a catcher, they just need to get a decent backup instead of the c*** they've been putting on the bench).

The Orioles need a 1B, a platoon partner for Gibbons at DH and THREE decent OFs. They also need at least two solid starters. And, they need to understand how to construct a bench, so you don't have to put dreck out there for every injury.

Once you see those needs, it's clear that the Orioles are still 2-4 years from having a prayer to contend. A team in their position shouldn't worry one bit about a closer. They should have traded Ryan last year.

The Orioles should not trade any of their decent prospects. Their farm system is thin enough as it is, and they need to focus on creating a strong young core.

If we had started rebuilding in 1997, like we should have, we'd be in a different place. But, we've merely wasted roster space on aging vets like Palmeiro, Sosa, Surhoff, and others. This team has a fundamental set of problems...They have no clue what it takes to win; they have no idea of what baseball talent is, and even less idea of how to develop it once you find it.

Sad to say, but the O's still are one of the worst run organizations in baseball.

I was waiting for your response GTWMA, and you are absolutely correct on most every point. Obviously the O's upper management is ridiculous, Angelos doesn't know how to spend his money and Flannigan and Beattie made some ridiculous decisions in the past.

However, I'm not saying that the O's need a dream team, that's not feasible to expect, especially w/ Angelos. I would definitely say that Gibbons is more than capable of being an everyday player (so a platoon at DH is not needed for him). Their OF is brutal, Matos should be gone without a doubt, that goes without saying. I think Byrnes could be retained to hit left handed pitching (I think if he gets comfortable again, he can go back to raking lefties). There isn't a lot out there for OFers (Damon and Giles are not coming to Baltimore) and they would be absolutely more idiotic than they already are if they got someone like Preston Wilson. One guy I would like to see them get is Jacque Jones (his defense came along drastically in the past few years and he would be better served not being insanely jealous of the attention that Torii Hunter receives, this is not an opinion, it is true).

The fact that they finished 10th in runs scored is irrelevant completely. Tejada was non-existent after the AS break, as was Roberts obviously. I don't believe Roberts is a .300 hitter neccessarily, but Tejada is capable and proven to maintain throughout a season. Mora played fairly consistently, but below the level that he is capable. Lopez was obviously gone for a good portion of the season. There is no way that they can expect much production out of Walter Young, which is why they do need to find either a FA there (let's face it though, outside of Konerko, who do you want? Millar? They won't get Helton in a trade, and don't have the intelligence to go get an Overbay in a trade). So, even though Lopez would be a liability at 1B, that's probably what they are going to be relegated with (I hope they prove me wrong) in the event they get Hernandez or Molina. I don't care how helpful Gomez was in filling in at every position last year, he can't hit. He finished w/ about 20 RBIs if memory serves me correctly, and I believe about 12 of those came in April.

As far as pitching is concerned, yes, they do need two starters, which is why I would love to see them get a Zito and a Millwood. That won't happen, and even though Vazquez wants to come east, he wants to play for a contender (which the O's are not considered). Other than that, I don't know who they could go after, I wouldn't mind seeing Loaiza come up the Beltway or even Weaver (both of whom obviously bombed in their previous stints in the AL East but Baltimore City isn't anything like NYC).

The O's farm system is ridiculous, so obviously I don't want to see Penn leave and I think Cabrera is the greatest benefactor from Mazzone's arrival. He can't control his emotions and relies entirely on his fastball, Mazzone can help him develop his other pitches.

Trading Ryan woulda been a better situation then they are in right now, but for some reason they thought they were contenders at the deadline last year. Yes, they coulda gotten some great prospect(s) for him last year, but now what do they do? They should resign him! There is no way that they allow Julio back to the position, that would be disastrous! Chris Ray was a stud in Bowie, and was great in middle relief last year, but I don't want to go into the season w/ him as the closer.

Oh, and one more thing, get rid of Steve Klein!!! My goodness, he isn't worth 200K let alone 2 mil. This is a microcosm of they're poor spending.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:08 pm

3 years for $18? There is no chance Ryan signs for that. Maybe if Baltimore adds $10 million onto that contract he'll consider. Ryan is going to get big time money from somebody, especially after Wagner signs his potential 4 year, almost $40 million dollar deal.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:04 pm

At closer, the Orioles would be fine with Ray or Aaron Rakers, especially given the fact that they have little chance to contend. Let BJ go; despite the fact that I love him, he's not a wise use of your $ today.

You know, people said no free agents would come to Baltimore, but Miggy and Javy did, so to me it's just a matter of the right moves. I don't see why the Orioles cannot sign one or two major FA from this class to move things in the right direction. Given that what little minor league strength we have is in pitching rather than position players, if we only get one I'd target a bat. Konerko's the obvious fit. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot worth trying to get. Jones is basically a platoon player (under .700 OPS versus lefties). Gibbons still really struggles versus lefties (lifetime .725 OPS versus lefties isn't good enough for DH/1B). Byrnes isn't likely to be worth much. Right handed hitters who can hit lefties just aren't that valuable.

Long-term one of your OF is Markakis. Possibly Majewski or Fiorentino could be another. If I go after someone in trade, I might try for Chad Tracy. I can play him at 1b or 3B, pushing Mora to OF.

But, this team is still a multi-year project. Pick up one or two pieces this year, and build the farm system. that's the way we have to go.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 pm

I heard today on XM that Ryan talked to the Red Sox the other day then I read on ESPN.com that Florida threw in G. Mota with Beckett and Lowell so it wouldn't make sense for the Sox to spend big bucks on Ryan unless they are just trying to drive up the market on other teams involved.

My thinking is Ryan to Cleveland.
Amish Rake Fight 2005, 2007 Northern Lights Baseball Champs
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:13 pm

I guess Ryan just got signed by the Blue Jays, if Baltimore doesn't sign anybody to close I think they'd have to let Julio close once again (he was good for awhile).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers