howry to cubs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

howry to cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

howry to cubs

Postby giants! » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:31 pm

The Cubs and right-hander Bobby Howry have agreed to terms on a three-year, $12 million contract, pending a physical.
It's quite a bit of money, Howry could be a better reliever than Ryan Dempster over the next three years, assuming his arm woes are in the past. Still, Dempster is the closer. Howry and Scott Eyre will share setup duties in a pen that will also include Scott Williamson, Michael Wuertz and Will Ohman. If Kerry Wood is healthy at the start of the season, one more spot will go to either Glendon Rusch or Jerome Williams. So, it's not looking good for Roberto Novoa, Jermaine Van Buren, Todd Wellemeyer, Sergio Mitre, Rich Hill or any of the Cubs' other useful young arms

From Rotoworld
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Horrible.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kentx12 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:06 pm

That seems like alot of money for him.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 pm

Wow, I get to say the opposite of what I've been saying about the Mets and NYY... anyway, the Cubs need some bats big time. Why pay so much for middle relievers when your closer situation isn't even set? Are the Cubs gonna have enough money to sign a bat so their starting line-up isn't a bunch of glorified Triple Aers (Excluding Aram and DLee)? What's the spending on Eyre and Howry so far, 6 millionish for the year? Geez.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:06 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Wow, I get to say the opposite of what I've been saying about the Mets and NYY... anyway, the Cubs need some bats big time. Why pay so much for middle relievers when your closer situation isn't even set? Are the Cubs gonna have enough money to sign a bat so their starting line-up isn't a bunch of glorified Triple Aers (Excluding Aram and DLee)? What's the spending on Eyre and Howry so far, 6 millionish for the year? Geez.

Seems everyone last year was getting on the Cubs for not improving the bullpen. I'm not saying they didn't give Howry too much money because they did but I think the Cubs have the right idea adressing their bullpen. They still have enough money to either trade for Pierre and/or sign Furcal. It's not like Howry is a bad MR...I believe his 2nd half ERA was around 1.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stevethumb » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:12 am

hey it's not your money...i think they improved their team and can still trade for pierre and buy another bat
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dmville » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:47 am

I see no reason why their closer situation isn't set. They re-signed Dempster. He saved 33 of 37 I think last year. Any reason to remove him?
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:08 am

If Dempster falters or blows his arm out again...It would be nice to have a Howry ready to step in. Good move ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am

Wood, Rusch (or whoever #5 is), and even Prior to a degree are not dependable guys so even though the price tag may be high, it's nice to have a few guys in the pen who can log huge amounts of appearances like Eyre and Howry did last year.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:35 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Seems everyone last year was getting on the Cubs for not improving the bullpen. I'm not saying they didn't give Howry too much money because they did but I think the Cubs have the right idea adressing their bullpen. They still have enough money to either trade for Pierre and/or sign Furcal. It's not like Howry is a bad MR...I believe his 2nd half ERA was around 1.
I agree. The Cubs have overspent on the bullpen but that was a major flaw they had to fix. If they sign a leadoff hitter *cough*Furcal*cough* then they will have addressed their 2 biggest problems in the off-season, something they failed to do last year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 449)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers