Jhonny Peralta... the next Tejada? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jhonny Peralta... the next Tejada?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jhonny Peralta... the next Tejada?

Postby lbbaseball14 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:44 am

What numbers do some of you guys have him pegged for next year and about what round would you take him? I'm in love w/ him and the whole cleveland lineup, I think they'll really click next year.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:48 am

That lineup seems to only be getting better. I could see Peralta putting up a .290 avg, 20 to 25 hr, 75 rbi, and 100 runs.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:50 pm

kentx12 wrote:That lineup seems to only be getting better. I could see Peralta putting up a .290 avg, 20 to 25 hr, 75 rbi, and 100 runs.
sounds good to me ;-D
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:20 pm

Depending on league settings ill take him in the 5th-6th in 12 team leagues.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Jhonny Peralta... the next Tejada?

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:18 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:What numbers do some of you guys have him pegged for next year and about what round would you take him? I'm in love w/ him and the whole cleveland lineup, I think they'll really click next year.

The Next Tejada, I don't think so.

Certainly capable of putting up 25-80-.300 numbers
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:27 pm

giants! wrote:Depending on league settings ill take him in the 5th-6th in 12 team leagues.

a bit early i think. he isn't even in my top 5 SS for next year and SS.

i'm not sure which round to take him, but my guess would be around the 8th or 9th. :-? maybe even later. :-? :-?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:35 pm

...And one good year a superstar does not make. Peralta has one MLB season under his belt, so let's just say he's not the top SS in all of baseball yet. There's several more reliable and probably better performing SS's than Peralta next year, a 5th-6th round would be a reach for the guy. I'd go with Tejada, Young, Furcal, Rollins, and Jeter before Peralta. Also, JP adds nothing to your speed game, and SS usually brings in some SB for your team. If you draft Peralta, don't forget that you'll have to draft for speed elsewhere, maybe sacrificing some power in the OF for it.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:39 pm

peralta has a ways to go to become the next tejada, but i could easily see him putting up 25 homers with about 80 rbis or so in 2006... this would be a solid year for him, but definitely not top SS numbers--not even top 5 SS numbers....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:peralta has a ways to go to become the next tejada

Don't be too sure about that. Peralta slugged .520 last season...Tejada has only done that once. Peralta's OPS+ was 138...higher than Tejada has ever done.

Peralta at 23 hit .292/.520 with 24 homeruns and 78 rbi.
Tejada at 23 hit .251/.427 with 21 homeruns and 84 rbi.

Peralta's in a pretty favorable Cleveland lineup as Tejada was with Oakland in his early years.

Peralta was born on May 28th in the D.R.
Tejada was born on May 25th in the D.R.

The most similar batter to Peralta through age 23 at baseball-reference is Ernie Banks.

Go ahead and over-rate Tejada all you wish though. ;-)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:48 pm

I think that if you are expecting a repeat out of Peralta in 06, you may be a little disappointed. In 550+ AB's in the minors in 2004, he slugged .493....so he actually slugged higher his following year in the bigs.

To me, it appears that he is more likely to fade a little from 05's numbers. However one thing he had going for them (that many young players do not) was that he hit consistantly well through the season.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers