Ivan Rodriguez for Eli Marrero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ivan Rodriguez for Eli Marrero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ivan Rodriguez for Eli Marrero

Postby Chicago » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:58 pm

I've been offered Ivan Rodriguez for Eli Marrero. Normally I'd want to jump all over this, but I glanced at I-Rod's numbers the last two years and realized how injury prone the guy is. His stats are nice, but not incredible. Marrero has been an enigma, and he could potentially get 600 AB for me in the C position. Then again, maybe not. Any quick thoughts?
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:16 pm

I'd jump all over this, too. Marrero won't put up numbers like this all season (although it would be nice). If you have doubts about I-Rod's health (a legitimate concern), trade him on for a solid catcher plus an upgrade somewhere else.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:51 pm

I hate when I accept a trade then go and discover a player is injured. Looks like I-Rod is having back spasms. Ruh-roh.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:54 pm

From what I heard, he'll only be kept out of games until the weekend as a precaution. Let's hope that this is as harmless as it sounds.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petben » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:12 pm

Looks like he might sit next week too. I still think you got the better end of the deal. Eli is the flavor of the week. He will not last.
petben
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:20 pm

I disagree with petben, as I really like Marrero (see the sleeper thread), but you really did get the better end of the deal. As much as I like the kid (good speed, decent bat, and he can potentially play almost every position), always trade phenoms for proven producers.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Chicago » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:35 pm

Glancing at Marrero's stats, I noticed that some people might be decieved by his slugging percentage. He had a powerful start, but his last seven hits have all been singles. There's potential for a solid hitter, but I don't see much in terms of power.

I accepted the trade, now I keep my fingers cross that I-Rod comes back soon, and this isn't a season-long nagging injury.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:40 pm

Let's all hope for the best for I-Rod!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:07 pm

No, you're right that Marrero doesn't have as much power as his slugging percentage implies. He's a gamer, though. He's got a good attitude and, given a little time and seasoning, could become a solid hitter who's good for a lot of doubles and a few stolen bases. .300-15HR-20SB-80RBI could probably be expected of him, assuming he gets to hit in the 3 or 5 slot.

This is technically his 6th season, but he's been brought around slowly by the organization and has been a little injury prone. If he stays healthy and the crazy position-swapping Cards give him his ABs... I think he could be a good solid utility man, or a decent catcher if you don't want to pay the big bucks for a Pudge or a Piazza. Right now, there are easily 5 or more catchers ahead of him, even in NL-only leagues, but I think he's got potential.

Hitting .500 through the first couple weeks of the season has basically just allowed him to get noticed. :->
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby 2times » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:40 pm

Don't kick yourself, that's a fine trade. The way i see it, Marrero owners should be THRILLED if he goes 300-15HR-20SB-80RBI, which is highly possible, but about his ceiling. Pudge on the other hand could do MUCH better than that if healthy, and even if he only plays 100 games could put up close to or better than Marrero in everything but steals. He's bankin on marrero's upside in skills, but your banking getting ill-health, and any extra games you get are a huge bonus
2times

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers