LMAO
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby phillibuster » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:28 am

I know that Miggy is a monster, but this new lineup cannot help his numbers...Delgado was good protection last year. What type of drop off would one expect?
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:48 am

Everybody is quick to rip the Marlins for how they do business. Win and then fire sale, but they did win the Series in 1997 and they returned to Series in 2004. So looks like 2011 is another World Series win for the Fish, who knows? But they have been successful. Maybe teams in similar situations should follow suit. Maybe the Fish know what they are doing. Everybody praises Billy "I wrote a book" Beane, but exactly how many Wrold Series have the A's won under Beane? Maybe the Fish deserve some love??? I think evryone will agree that the Fish have been more successful than the Royals, Tigers, O's, Brewers, Cubs, Mets, Indians(it pains me), Pads, Giants, oh heck virtually every team that hasn't won the World Series lately or at least been there. The fish have been there winning once since 1997. Thats two series in 8 years give them some credit. I think somebody realizes "you know what we are not going to win with this team lets rebuild". Some teams just don't have the money to buy a team and they must dismantle. My Tribe did it a few years back and look at them now.

Call them cheap, but they are winners,
The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:53 am

The Cow wrote:Everybody is quick to rip the Marlins for how they do business. Win and then fire sale, but they did win the Series in 1997 and they returned to Series in 2004. So looks like 2011 is another World Series win for the Fish, who knows? But they have been successful. Maybe teams in similar situations should follow suit. Maybe the Fish know what they are doing. Everybody praises Billy "I wrote a book" Beane, but exactly how many Wrold Series have the A's won under Beane? Maybe the Fish deserve some love??? I think evryone will agree that the Fish have been more successful than the Royals, Tigers, O's, Brewers, Cubs, Mets, Indians(it pains me), Pads, Giants, oh heck virtually every team that hasn't won the World Series lately or at least been there. The fish have been there winning once since 1997. Thats two series in 8 years give them some credit. I think somebody realizes "you know what we are not going to win with this team lets rebuild". Some teams just don't have the money to buy a team and they must dismantle. My Tribe did it a few years back and look at them now.

The Cow

Billy Beane never wrote a book. ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 pm

The Cow wrote:Everybody is quick to rip the Marlins for how they do business. Win and then fire sale, but they did win the Series in 1997 and they returned to Series in 2004. So looks like 2011 is another World Series win for the Fish, who knows? But they have been successful. Maybe teams in similar situations should follow suit. Maybe the Fish know what they are doing. Everybody praises Billy "I wrote a book" Beane, but exactly how many Wrold Series have the A's won under Beane? Maybe the Fish deserve some love??? I think evryone will agree that the Fish have been more successful than the Royals, Tigers, O's, Brewers, Cubs, Mets, Indians(it pains me), Pads, Giants, oh heck virtually every team that hasn't won the World Series lately or at least been there. The fish have been there winning once since 1997. Thats two series in 8 years give them some credit. I think somebody realizes "you know what we are not going to win with this team lets rebuild". Some teams just don't have the money to buy a team and they must dismantle. My Tribe did it a few years back and look at them now.

The Cow

A professional sports team is about more than just winning the big title. It's about something a fan can follow, religiously sometimes, and can talk about with pride. Right now, even after having won 2 World Series titles, who can call themselves a Marlins' fan without grimacing and spitting on the ground?

If all the Marlins want to do is win a World Series title and act all important because of it, fine. But I'd rather be a fan of the Royals, Tigers, O's, Brewers, Mets, or Cubs... ok not the Cubs, because I can't betray the Cardinals like that. I think it's crappy what's going on in Florida, and wish that it wasn't allowed in MLB to just trade your whole team off and collect profit.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Cow » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:16 pm

RAmst23 wrote:

The Cow

A professional sports team is about more than just winning the big title. It's about something a fan can follow, religiously sometimes, and can talk about with pride. Right now, even after having won 2 World Series titles, who can call themselves a Marlins' fan without grimacing and spitting on the ground?

If all the Marlins want to do is win a World Series title and act all important because of it, fine. But I'd rather be a fan of the Royals, Tigers, O's, Brewers, Mets, or Cubs... ok not the Cubs, because I can't betray the Cardinals like that. I think it's crappy what's going on in Florida, and wish that it wasn't allowed in MLB to just trade your whole team off and collect profit.

Well some teams are forced to make decisions that most fans won't understand. I don't blame an owner for dealing players he is losing money on. I forgot the fish won a Series title in 2004, whoops. Thats two titles in 7 years. As an Indians I know how much it sucks to have your team ripped out from under you, but I would gladly take 2 titles in 7 years! I mean fans can root for losing teams. Thats fine. I do I root for the Tribe and they have been a losing team more often than not. But what I like about the Tribe and the Fish is that management realizes that to compete as a small revenue team you have to be unconvential if you want to win. Yes deal away aging players for prospects. Maybe deal them a year early while they have value, Delgado and Castillo arein this mold. As a fan this sucks it does, but if you win than who can argue with success. The Tribe has not won, but at least they are in a position to do so. If MLB had a salary cap teams would not be forced to dismantle, it would be a much more fair playing field in terms of money. The yanks couldn't buy a championship or at least a playoff team. Sure teams would still rebuild as in the NFL, but at least all teams could compete. The state of MLB is sad if you are not a big market team. I am sure plenty of teams would love to bring in the talent that the Mets are doing this year aand that the Yanks and Red Sox have done in the past, but teams just don't have the money.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

f

Postby joeg24 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:20 pm

Don't rule out Travis Bowyer out for closer this year. 96 k's in 74 innings last year in AAA as one of the best closers in AAA. Could be a nice sleeper... I'm sad to see him go, but glad he'll get a shot as behind Rincon, Crain, and Nathan that chances for a righty are low in MN, not to mention other righties like Boof, Durbin, and Balfour who all could end up in the pen to this year.

This will be a fun team next year. In couple years there is going to be some sick young talent there and add a couple FA's and they'll be right in there with the 100 million dollar Mets again.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Re: f

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:16 pm

joeg24 wrote:This will be a fun team next year.............. add a couple FA's and they'll be right in there with the 100 million dollar Mets again.

What, battling it out for 3rd? :-D
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: f

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:51 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
joeg24 wrote:This will be a fun team next year.............. add a couple FA's and they'll be right in there with the 100 million dollar Mets again.

What, battling it out for 3rd? :-D

Nope. 4th actually.

Delgado, Pedro, and Wagner will get season ending injuries in the first game of the season ;-)
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 pm

The question is, how soon till the team is moved? It's clear that without a new stadium (with a roof), a teams is not viable in Miami.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers