car insurance question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

car insurance question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

car insurance question

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:07 pm

i've never dealt with this and maybe one of you knows the landscape better.

i nipped the corner of somebody's rear bumper and may very well cover the cost out of pocket and told the person to get an estimate and let me know the cost before we started the claims process. she didn't listen and went ahead and filed a claim anyways.

question: what happens next? can i just do nothing until she gets an estimate? should i call the insurance company back and let them know what i plan on doing or just stay silent until i know if this will be out-of-pocket or not? can she 'withdraw the claim'? If i do pay out of pocket and a claim is never processed through to end will it affect my insurance rates?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:21 am

Call her insurance company and tell them you might choose to just pay the cost out of your pocket, in order to keep it off your driving record since it's just a minor thing, and have them let you know what the exact cost is before they contact your insurance company. Make sure they know you are able to just flat out pay the amount, no BSing around, you'll just write the check when they tell you how much the damage is. Usually the insurance companies are pretty good about that kind of thing.

Good luck! ;-D

Just hope she's not one of those kind of people who will try to claim some sort of injury (neck, back) out of this. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:25 am

Madison wrote:Call her insurance company and tell them you might choose to just pay the cost out of your pocket, in order to keep it off your driving record since it's just a minor thing, and have them let you know what the exact cost is before they contact your insurance company. Make sure they know you are able to just flat out pay the amount, no BSing around, you'll just write the check when they tell you how much the damage is. Usually the insurance companies are pretty good about that kind of thing.

Good luck! ;-D

Just hope she's not one of those kind of people who will try to claim some sort of injury (neck, back) out of this. :-o

Her insurance is the same as mine (Allstate), so my insurance obviously knows about it, but if there is no claim fully processed, does it still not go on my record even though they knew there was an event?

No injury worries. The hit was so minor she'd be tossed out of court if she tried some BS. She's mid-20s like me anyways. She was cool about it, well, at least as cool as one could be after getting bumped. We parted ways within 5 minutes so this should be no big deal hopefully.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:07 pm

AllState? Yuck :-P .

My only dealings with AllState were a very long time ago, so hopefully things with them have changed, but back then they used any reason they could to bump your insurance rates up.

Not sure what they are doing now. I still hope you're able to get out of this problem without a rate jack. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: car insurance question

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:55 am

RugbyD wrote:i've never dealt with this and maybe one of you knows the landscape better.

i nipped the corner of somebody's rear bumper and may very well cover the cost out of pocket and told the person to get an estimate and let me know the cost before we started the claims process. she didn't listen and went ahead and filed a claim anyways.

question: what happens next? can i just do nothing until she gets an estimate? should i call the insurance company back and let them know what i plan on doing or just stay silent until i know if this will be out-of-pocket or not? can she 'withdraw the claim'? If i do pay out of pocket and a claim is never processed through to end will it affect my insurance rates?

doesn't matter now ...
Once that claim is in the database, you will be hard pressed getting it removed. It will show up on any underwriters screen as a flag. It may not effect you for a year but it will show up for sure if you switch companies.

Good luck.
Do you have an agent or is it just a customer service type of thing?

An agent might be able to get it removed.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:57 am

Allstate is good people.

Go and talk to your agent, and tell him what you want to do. If he is any good, he can correct it.

Your in good hands. ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:03 pm

Tough spot. Let us know how it ends. I'm curious...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to General Talk