Thome deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thome deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:27 am

No one thinks Chicago did a good job? I think this was a good deal for both teams, but Chicago did what they could to protect themselves from the possibility of Konerko leaving and got a guy who's consistently been a masher. They gave up prospects and only Rowand. Rowand really regressed last season. Ok, he plays good defense, but how many runs can we expect him to save in Citizen's Bank?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby carter » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:54 am

bronxxbomber wrote:No one thinks Chicago did a good job? I think this was a good deal for both teams, but Chicago did what they could to protect themselves from the possibility of Konerko leaving and got a guy who's consistently been a masher. They gave up prospects and only Rowand. Rowand really regressed last season. Ok, he plays good defense, but how many runs can we expect him to save in Citizen's Bank?

i'm with you on this.. i think both teams made out ok, and the phils did a nice job squeezing Gio and Haigwood away from Williams, but i like the Sox side alot better.. Thome's upside is bigger then Rowand's, and he brings a strong veteran presence to the clubhouse... his health is a risk, but thats really the only worry.. he's still an offensive monster and thats what they desperatly need right now.. i believe ALL of William's moves were criticized last year, gotta give him some credit now..
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby BritSox » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:36 pm

Just a thought... might this make Michaels available for trade? Might be a solution for CF somewhere.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm glad on page 3 I finally see people saying that maybe the White Sox didn't get owned on this deal. White Sox get a power hitting 1B for all of Aaron Rowand and some prospects? While paying no money? Not too bad.

Could this be a bad deal for the ChiSox? Sure, if absolutely everything goes wrong for them, but why is everyone so confident with Howard? Sure he's been great in his MLB career, all 351 career ABs of it. I'm no where near ready to jump on the Howard bandwagon, I don't think he'll hit much for an AVG this year. He's new (not young, but new) and he'll struggle. Thome was injured, but you think he's done at 35 and doesn't have 2 more seasons in him? Completely disagree.

The White Sox lost Rowand, who didn't contribute much offensively at all last year. The minimal amount the Sox are spending on Thome allows them to still be competitive in this year's FA market. Good deal for the Sox.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:45 pm

if thome can give the sox 35 homers this year, then Mr. Williams got a good deal with rowand and prospects,,, but for some reason i have my doubts on thome staying healthy enough to get some decent numbers this year....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hyacinth » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:41 pm

"Thome's upside"? I think the only thing Thome does NOT have is upside at this point. 35 hrs out of him at this point in his career would be great, esp given that he's moving out of Coors East. And Rowand's offensive struggles last year might just be ending this year - and who knows, a 25-25 year might just be expected from him now.

Throw in Gio Gonzalez, and Haigwood, and essentially a whole year of Howard's youth and energy... easy win for Phillies.

There are no steroids in baseball. Just players Chuck Norris has breathed on.
hyacinth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rubidium » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:50 pm

The deal is officially complete. Thome and cash (still rumored at $22 million) for Rowand, Haigwood, and a minor league player to be named.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Music2004Man » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:42 am

I might be biased because I'm a Phils fan but I really like what Gillick was able to get for Thome. Everyone knew that the Phils were in a tough spot because they needed to get rid of Thome to open up a spot for Howard. I hope, because Thome is truly a class act, that he is able to rebound after some tough injuries and get up to 500 HR's for the Sox. The Phils needed a CF and that's what they get in Rowand. I'm not excited about the SO's because we already have too many of them in the lineup but I am excited that people talked about him as the first person in and the last person out of the clubhouse. I like Utley and Rowand as young hardworking leaders on this team. It's also an added plus that the Phils were able to squeeze two good looking young arms out of Williams. Here's to hoping the Phils can develop them (the track record is not good).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:05 am

hyacinth wrote:35 hrs out of him at this point in his career would be great, esp given that he's moving out of Coors East.

I wouldn't worry about the move. US Cellular has been known to give up a few home runs. ;-) I'd give a link, but I don't have one handy for last year's stats. I know US Cellular led the majors in home runs in '04 though.

Anyone have last year's home runs by ballpark? :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby seamonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:10 am

I'm just surprised anyone would trade for Thome before seeing him swing the bat in spring training. Is he really a lock to be the same "thome"? Its not like waiting to see would have made his stock go up, everyone knew thome had to be unloaded.
seamonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers