Is MCab's value sinking like the Marlins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is MCab's value sinking like the Marlins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:13 pm

Field wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:I'm dropping him some in my rankings, he's not a guy that can anchor your hitting stats like many other first rounders. The only thing that seperates him from many of the second rounders is his average. I could easily see Sheffield and Bay being more productive fantasy options and you can probably take them early in the second round instead of mid 1st- where MCab has been projected. I would much rather take Soriano in the first round or maybe even Santana then pair them with Sheffield type in the second.

Ummm ok? Look at Miggy's numbers prior to Delgado signing. He was 20 and put up .290, 30 HR in a pitcher's park. Until I see him put a bad season together, I expect him to continue to get better.

I wasn't bashing the guy at all, hes definitely one of the best young hitters in the game. All I am saying is that he won't get enough runs and rbi's to compare him to other top tier fantasy talent such as Ortiz and Manny- where he has been projected in next years draft. He has hit 33 hr's in each of the past 2 seasons, and I don't see that going up significantly unless he gets traded which won't happen. Will his higher average make up the HR and RBI differential? He just gets bumped down a few notches in my rankings, just towards the end of the first round instead of the middle. Is it possible that second rounders like Sheff and Bay are more productive fantasy options after the 06 season?- Yes.

His work ethic has also been questioned by the organization and I also wonder how he will respond to this fire sale/rebuilding. Just some things to think about, I don't want to change the subject or start an argument.

Brilliant analysis. 22 years old and already reached his power peak. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:29 pm

Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:I'm dropping him some in my rankings, he's not a guy that can anchor your hitting stats like many other first rounders. The only thing that seperates him from many of the second rounders is his average. I could easily see Sheffield and Bay being more productive fantasy options and you can probably take them early in the second round instead of mid 1st- where MCab has been projected. I would much rather take Soriano in the first round or maybe even Santana then pair them with Sheffield type in the second.

Ummm ok? Look at Miggy's numbers prior to Delgado signing. He was 20 and put up .290, 30 HR in a pitcher's park. Until I see him put a bad season together, I expect him to continue to get better.

I wasn't bashing the guy at all, hes definitely one of the best young hitters in the game. All I am saying is that he won't get enough runs and rbi's to compare him to other top tier fantasy talent such as Ortiz and Manny- where he has been projected in next years draft. He has hit 33 hr's in each of the past 2 seasons, and I don't see that going up significantly unless he gets traded which won't happen. Will his higher average make up the HR and RBI differential? He just gets bumped down a few notches in my rankings, just towards the end of the first round instead of the middle. Is it possible that second rounders like Sheff and Bay are more productive fantasy options after the 06 season?- Yes.

His work ethic has also been questioned by the organization and I also wonder how he will respond to this fire sale/rebuilding. Just some things to think about, I don't want to change the subject or start an argument.

That's a key portion of the sentence which you seemingly breezed over. It still left room for improvement. I'm just talking about next year in a redraft league, you keep mentioning 22 years old- we're not talking about a keeper league or a few years down the road when he's matured as a hitter and reached his full potential.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby savvy_stu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:30 pm

In 2004, When M-Cab was bashing prior to the arrival of Delgado, he had a much more productive Mike Lowell protecting him.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Field wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:
Yoda wrote:

That's a key portion of the sentence which you seemingly breezed over. It still left room for improvement. I'm just talking about next year in a redraft league, you keep mentioning 22 years old- we're not talking about a keeper league or a few years down the road when he's matured as a hitter and reached his full potential.

I'd hate to do this to you but as long as you continue...

Miggy improved BA, OBP and SLG significantly in his 2 1/2 years in MLB. He may have hit the same number of HRs in 04, 05 but his 2B went from 31 to 44, indicating a dramatic increase in his power.

You can argue that Miggy is lazy or doesn't have protection or a fluke or whatever you want. The fact of the matter is, players like Miggy are rare and absence of support should not dramatically affect his numbers as long as he maintains his current progression. I expect another step up in him come 06 as he matures and becomes an even better hitter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pochucker » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:00 pm

My concern with Miggy is not his talent - we all know what great talent he has, but his work ethic. There were concerns last year and he was in more of a winning enviroment than he will be this year.
Lets hope he matures some and embraces being the "man".
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:04 pm

Pochucker wrote:My concern with Miggy is not his talent - we all know what great talent he has, but his work ethic. There were concerns last year and he was in more of a winning enviroment than he will be this year.
Lets hope he matures some and embraces being the "man".

He has been the man since he came up. He was better than Delgado last year. If anything, one could argue that Delgado benefitted from Miggy. Afterall, McKeon shuffled the lineup to get Delgado going and not the other way around.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Yoda, you hate to do this to me? :-° I don't see why you are making this personal just somewhat differing opinions. And its not like I'm dropping him out of the first round, just down a few slots in my rankings going into next season.

I never said he was a fluke anyone who thinks that shouldn't be playing fantasy baseball. What are your projections for Miggy next year? I do agree that he is going to progress, but with the lineup around him and home ballpark, I believe some of his numbers will be limited such as runs and rbi's. You totally disagree with that statement? Do you see him jumping up into the Pujols, Arod, Vlad, Tex level of production? He has the talent to, I just don't see it happening next season with all the external factors.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:24 pm

Field wrote:I never said he was a fluke anyone who thinks that shouldn't be playing fantasy baseball. What are your projections for Miggy next year? I do agree that he is going to progress, but with the lineup around him and home ballpark, I believe some of his numbers will be limited such as runs and rbi's. You totally disagree with that statement? Do you see him jumping up into the Pujols, Arod, Vlad, Tex level of production? He has the talent to, I just don't see it happening next season with all the external factors.

Sorry but he is already near Pujols, Arod class. Improvement in plate discipline will put him up there sans SBs.

Take Teixeira out of Arlington and it's not even close between him and Miggy.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:34 pm

In fantasy baseball Mcab is not in Pujols or Arod level and you can't take Teixeira out of Arlington. Isn't the thread suppose to be about fantasy baseball value? It will be interesting to see where he is ranked going into next year especially if the Manny/Ortiz combo is broken up.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Field wrote:In fantasy baseball Mcab is not in Pujols or Arod level and you can't take Teixeira out of Arlington. Isn't the thread suppose to be about fantasy baseball value? It will be interesting to see where he is ranked going into next year especially if the Manny/Ortiz combo is broken up.

Title: Is MCab's value sinking like the Marlins?

No mention of real or fantasy. The answer is an emphatic "NO" in either case anyway. ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers