Jeffrey Loria, destroyer of franchises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeffrey Loria, destroyer of franchises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby carter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:05 am

wveres wrote:the Expos never recoved from the strike year in which they were favorites to win it all.

I guess Canadians are fickle. :-)

that was 94? .. thats gotta hurt when your team doesn't win a championship in awhile.. they were amazing that year, so yea, "fickle" is putting it mildly.. ... but that was only the big blow that got things started, there was more that came later ..

a couple i can remember:

- at one point, radio broadcasts were 100% taken off the air
- they completely stopped signing big players, or attempting key aquisitions
- 2003, and this might be the most blatant.. when the expos where in the midst of the wild card race, they were locked from making roster moves and calling up minor-leaguers.. i have no idea why this happened, there was no explanation given and most complaints were stifled
- 2003, everything was pretty much stomped out at this point, they lose Vladdy and Vazquez without a fight.. nobody cared by then anyway

im sure there were others, but basically, if you neglect your fan-base they aren't gonna support you .. everyone knows this.. their fans were given the cold shoulder for over a decade

wveres wrote:I guess its not his daughter but still tight ..
From baseball prospectus.
Commissioner Bud Selig and his family have long-time ties to the wife of Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. Sivia Loria is from Milwaukee, Wis., as is David Samson, the Marlins' president and stepson of Jeffrey Loria. Samson's father-in-law was the former team physician for the Milwaukee Brewers, who are owned by the Selig family

Sound the Alarm. thats enough proof for me
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:15 am

carter wrote:
wveres wrote:the Expos never recoved from the strike year in which they were favorites to win it all.

I guess Canadians are fickle. :-)

that was 94? .. thats gotta hurt when your team doesn't win a championship in awhile.. they were amazing that year, so yea, "fickle" is putting it mildly.. ... but that was only the big blow that got things started, there was more that came later ..

a couple i can remember:

- at one point, radio broadcasts were 100% taken off the air
- they completely stopped signing big players, or attempting key aquisitions
- 2003, and this might be the most blatant.. when the expos where in the midst of the wild card race, they were locked from making roster moves and calling up minor-leaguers.. i have no idea why this happened, there was no explanation given and most complaints were stifled
- 2003, everything was pretty much stomped out at this point, they lose Vladdy and Vazquez without a fight.. nobody cared by then anyway

im sure there were others, but basically, if you neglect your fan-base they aren't gonna support you .. everyone knows this.. their fans were given the cold shoulder for over a decade

wveres wrote:I guess its not his daughter but still tight ..
From baseball prospectus.
Commissioner Bud Selig and his family have long-time ties to the wife of Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. Sivia Loria is from Milwaukee, Wis., as is David Samson, the Marlins' president and stepson of Jeffrey Loria. Samson's father-in-law was the former team physician for the Milwaukee Brewers, who are owned by the Selig family

Sound the Alarm. thats enough proof for me

well the lack of media coverage hurt the Expos for sure. I don't think they ever got an regular English speaking TV broadcast up there.

I remember those 2003 episodes clearly. But it wasn't Loria. MLB had just bought them and everything about those transactions were shady, at best..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby carter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:18 am

wrveres wrote:I remember those 2003 episodes clearly. But it wasn't Loria. MLB had just bought them and everything about those transactions were shady, at best..

94 wasn't Loria either.. i think he's just a cog in the wheel
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:35 am

carter wrote:
wrveres wrote:I remember those 2003 episodes clearly. But it wasn't Loria. MLB had just bought them and everything about those transactions were shady, at best..

94 wasn't Loria either.. i think he's just a cog in the wheel

Just more fuel to the fire ...

In the last collective bargaining agreement, the MLBPA gave up there rights to stop the owners from contracting after 2007.

And I would not be the least bit surprised to see it happen.

Loria and Baird would be the obvious owners to sell their rights back to baseball for millions, and then MLB would just fold the two franchises. One would think Washington would be one of those teams since baseball already controls their rights, but I think that baseball will do well in DC after the third attempt.

Hmm maybe Loria could “Buy” them … again. :-B
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:36 am

Not to open up the contraction debate or the slimy Selig and his cronies debate, but the Expos were a classic case for/of both. You can argue the economic viability of a baseball franchise in Montreal. But at some point you have to let free market forces take over. Namely, if either the market is not viable to support the team or the team is so badly run that they go broke, at some point you have to let the market play out and let the franchise go belly-up like any other business.

Obviously you do not want this to become the norm, but Montreal is a classic example of what happens when you try to prop up a bad franchise with executive ownership, cronyism or whatever else was going on.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lbbaseball14 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:55 am

I didnt even read this thread but I just want to say that whoevers running this team does a GREAT job. In no way is it the managements fault for not having a big fan base and having to finagle with money. He won a WS and keeps bringing in talent... I think the Marlins are one of the better run franchises when you look at their situation.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Apollo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:29 pm

Yanks04, you can't always spend money to make money in baseball. This isn't New York. The team won a World Series, and they did it with about a third of the Yankees' payroll--you could argue that they were running a much more sound business than the Yanks. What more could he have done? The city just wouldn't support them.

The Marlins won a World Series in '97, too, and had to have a fire sale. You can't blame that one on Loria (it was Wayne Huizenga, right?).
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers