Jeffrey Loria, destroyer of franchises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeffrey Loria, destroyer of franchises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeffrey Loria, destroyer of franchises?

Postby carter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:38 am

So...... uh...... why exactly are the Marlins having this fire sale? .. is it greed for money, lack of fanbase in Florida? .. is this the beginning of a repeat of Montreal? .. i have a feeling this guy's name could go down in baseball history if it gets any worse.. anyone know whats going on?
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 am

I don't think you can blame Loria for this.
He is in a terrible ballpark, with a terrible lease, and a bitter fan base. The city is fighting him over a new ballpark, so he has no choice financially.
He has won a WS and it still wasn't enough to offset the financial losses. What is he suppose to do, keep losing money even though he has reached the pinnacle? Something has to give.

Even though I am not a fan of his, I don't hink you can blame Loria for this one.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:50 am

Simple...Loria is concerned about making a buck. The public financing for a new Stadium is dead in the water and he is looking to cut costs feeling he will lose money if he maintains the 60 M or so payroll he had last season. He reporting wants to shave off 15-20 M of that and is looking at possible relocation cities/sites.

Loria is hardly a good owner to say the least. Yo uget what you pay for to adgree and he can hardly claim a small population base.

When 100s of millionaires or even billionaires are concerned with losing a few bucks shortterm and not with spending money to make money longterm and building up the franchise and fanbase, you end up with situations like Miami and to a lesser extent KC (much smaller poulation base).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:54 am

Here .. this will be in tomorrows
NY Times ..

It has a great breakdown of the situation.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby carter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:18 am

wrveres wrote:Here .. this will be in tomorrows
NY Times ..

thanks.. that explains alot, but not everything and it doesn't really let him off the hook ... best case scenario, we can accuse him of making poor decisions mixed with some bad luck... but what happened with the Expos is a really bad mark on his resume, so he still smells fishy to me... if he is pulling a fast one, i dont think it would be for a quick buck and letting go of some salary, it almost seems like he's put in place by a higher authority with one goal - to get a team out of one city and into another
carter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:22 am

carter wrote:
wrveres wrote:Here .. this will be in tomorrows
NY Times ..

thanks.. that explains alot, but not everything and it doesn't really let him off the hook ... best case scenario, we can accuse him of making poor decisions mixed with some bad luck... but what happened with the Expos is a really bad mark on his resume, so he still smells fishy to me... if he is pulling a fast one, i dont think it would be for a quick buck and letting go of some salary, it almost seems like he's put in place by a higher authority with one goal - to get a team out of one city and into another

I am 99% positive he is married to one of Seligs daughters, so it does give wieght to your conspiracy theory.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:28 am

Nah. I think he is just a lousy baseball owner who has no clue on how to build a franchise and market the product. In fairness, the Montreal situation was a no win one. But he hardly made things better up there.

He complains about 60 M in public financing for a new park not being approved yet he spends 12 M on designs and millions on other things. He can't float a longterm corporate bond to pay for a new park if all that is needed is some 60 M? Come on? In Miami with a good population base? Call it bad buisiness. Call it short shighted and penny-wise, pound foolish.
However you want to look at it, it has not worked and he has a group of disinterested fans as a result. How do you win a WS and have a disinterested fanbase? You have to be some sort of inept to market yourself that poorly. There are a lot of transplanted northeasterners in Florida too, so it is hardly a case of hockey-first like it was in Montreal.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:37 am

I guess its not his daughter but still tight ..
From baseball prospectus.
Commissioner Bud Selig and his family have long-time ties to the wife of Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. Sivia Loria is from Milwaukee, Wis., as is David Samson, the Marlins' president and stepson of Jeffrey Loria. Samson's father-in-law was the former team physician for the Milwaukee Brewers, who are owned by the Selig family
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby carter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:39 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Nah. I think he is just a lousy baseball owner who has no clue on how to build a franchise and market the product. In fairness, the Montreal situation was a no win one. But he hardly made things better up there.

to be frank, thats a large misconception about Montreal.. it was a big baseball town at one point, there was plenty of potential and there probly always will be.. did you know there were times in the 80's when they drew more attendance then the Yankees? .. the Expos were a botched franchise, plain n simple.. there were too many strange coincidences going on .. any fan-base will sour when they are disappointed and feel blatantly turned against.. which is kinda what happening in Florida right now, no?

wveres wrote:I am 99% positive he is married to one of Seligs daughters, so it does give wieght to your conspiracy theory.

haha .. if thats true, that boy is caught with both hands and feet in the cookie jar
carter
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:43 am

carter wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Nah. I think he is just a lousy baseball owner who has no clue on how to build a franchise and market the product. In fairness, the Montreal situation was a no win one. But he hardly made things better up there.

to be frank, thats a large misconception about Montreal.. it was a big baseball town at one point, there was plenty of potential and there probly always will be.. did you know there were times in the 80's when they drew more attendance then the Yankees? .. the Expos were a botched franchise, plain n simple.. there were too many strange coincidences going on .. any fan-base will sour when they are disappointed and feel blatantly turned against.. which is kinda what happening in Florida right now, no?

wveres wrote:I am 99% positive he is married to one of Seligs daughters, so it does give wieght to your conspiracy theory.

haha .. if thats true, that boy is caught with both hands and feet in the cookie jar

the Expos never recoved from the strike year in which they were favorites to win it all.

I guess Canadians are fickle. :-)
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers