Jorge Cantu, what's your thoughts for '06 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jorge Cantu, what's your thoughts for '06

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jorge Cantu, what's your thoughts for '06

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:40 pm

Thinking about acquiring him in a trade, but I want to know the overall consensus on how you think he will do next year. Was this year a fluke or is he really that good?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:45 pm

TB offense can only get better, thus, go for it.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:21 pm

I would recommend checking his minor league track record to determine whether or not he has performed at aimilar levels like this in the past.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 pm

RynMan wrote:I would recommend checking his minor league track record to determine whether or not he has performed at aimilar levels like this in the past.

He never had an OPS above .764 until his final AAA season. And the fact that he hasn't ever had a good BB/K ratio with a terrible OBP I think he will decline. There are only a handful of players that can have a terrible OBP and BB/K ratio and be real good players.

.270 21 75 70 2 - This seems more likely but he has plenty of years ahead of him to get back to his '05 #'s.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:12 pm

J35J wrote:
RynMan wrote:I would recommend checking his minor league track record to determine whether or not he has performed at aimilar levels like this in the past.

He never had an OPS above .764 until his final AAA season. And the fact that he hasn't ever had a good BB/K ratio with a terrible OBP I think he will decline. There are only a handful of players that can have a terrible OBP and BB/K ratio and be real good players.

.270 21 75 70 2 - This seems more likely but he has plenty of years ahead of him to get back to his '05 #'s.

Jason

I think you are right. I would treat his 05 as a fluke until he shows he can do it again.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:44 pm

He seems like a good player. His minor league numbers right before he joined the Rays were pretty good. I don't know if his numbers will repeat next season, but I believe he's a lock for 20Hrs and 85rbis. I think his avg will drop if he doesn't learn to draw some walks soon. Even if he doesn't a 23 year old guy like him has a bright future.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:31 am

I know everybody is impressed with his 28 homers last season, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that he had a grand total of 40 HR's in over 2300 minor league AB's ... and he wasn't big doubles hitter in the minors either. A minor league SLG% under .400 should raise some eyebrows too. Where did all of this power come from?

I personally would not be trading for him, as his value is at its highest right now, and that is a cardinal sin when trading. I also will not be targeting him next season either, as he will be very overrated.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:37 am

sage advice. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:00 pm

wrveres wrote:I know everybody is impressed with his 28 homers last season, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that he had a grand total of 40 HR's in over 2300 minor league AB's ... and he wasn't big doubles hitter in the minors either. A minor league SLG% under .400 should raise some eyebrows too. Where did all of this power come from?

I personally would not be trading for him, as his value is at its highest right now, and that is a cardinal sin when trading. I also will not be targeting him next season either, as he will be very overrated.
Thats what I was looking for, thank you ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:06 pm

It's is easy to assume Cantu will automatically improve upon 05 but as everyone has said, I think he will be very overrated in 06. He did seem to turn things around starting 04 so his power might be real.

But his plate discipline will drag down his average considerably. He doesn't run either so at best he will be a 3 category player in fantasy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers