Starting a Keeper. What do I need to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting a Keeper. What do I need to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting a Keeper. What do I need to do?

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:06 pm

I've been playing fantasy baseball for 5 season now and am looking to take it a step further. I haven't tried a keeper league but I've talked to the other members of my league and am going to try to set up a keeper league for next year. I was wondering what I need to do and if Yahoo was still a good choice for our league? Any other Keeper commishes out there with some advice? I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose32 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:08 pm

We still run it on Yahoo, but we all get together to have a draft then put in the results. This lets us deal draft picks. We also set up a message board on google to keep track of everything.
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:18 pm

How many keepers do you usually have and do you make them keep at least 1 pitcher?

I am a commish who has ran a league for 3 years and the guys want to make it a keeper. We discussed keeping 3 guys per team and you have to keep 2 and 1 of any combination. For example, 2 hitters and 1 pitcher or 2 pitchers and 1 hitter.

How do you set up the minor leagues? Are any of them fair game, even if Yahoo doesn't have them available or when they come up first come first serve?

Or do you put a "claim" on him in the draft and when he comes up that person gets him?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:40 pm

I run my keeper league thru Yahoo. We have a yahoo group set up for all the info during the offseason and then use there free hosting to run the league. As far as keepers and the rules of the league that is just whatever you want to do.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:55 pm

I run mine through Yahoo groups as well

I've heard that proboard and invision free boards work pretty well too.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. How many keepers do you guys usually have? Our rosters this past season had 25 players on them. I was thinking of keeping 5 with at least 1 hitter and 1 pitcher. Is this too many to keep? Also, for the minors, say we were to set them up. How would you keep track of who has who? Would I have to set up a database on my CPU to keep track of it? I appreciate all of the help. Thanks.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 pm

I run a keeper league on Yahoo. Playerss are assigned a value based on what round they were drafted in, from 25 for a 1st rounder, 24 for a 2nd, etc down to a min of 5. You have to keep 5 guys at a max of 65 points. Every year, keepers go up in value based on the # of years kept. For example, ARod was 25 points initially. He was kept last season. This will make his second season being kept so he would be 25+2+27 points. It's complex and easy at the same time. I do this to keep the amount of talent in the draft worthwhile and not let one team trade for all the top players and get to keep them, forming a dynasty. Every team is close to equal when keepers are turned in. For the redraft, the 1st round is 22. Also, rookies that you use your waiver on when they are added to Yahoo are worth 2 points. One guy will have Wright for 4 points this season 8-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:53 am

With a roster of 25, about 5 or 6 seems right.

I've been running a keeper league for 5 years on Yahoo. We keep 5 plus 1 rookie or late pick (after 20th round). Really rewards the team who draft a gem at the draft.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers