Tuesday's Hot Rumors... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Well I can see it now...Giles is playing the Yanks as he is obviously not really interested in NY. Clueless Brian will end up with Bubba and Bernie platooning in CF because he will again fail to do something about a gaping problem for another year. By May we see another episode of Melky Cabrera turning the wrong way on every other fly ball. Then h etrades the farm for RonDL II...err Hunter.


That or you see Damon given that 7 year, 84 M dollar contract.


how is giles playing the Yanks?
they are chasing after him and he is not returning their calls?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:03 am

Yanks04...I understand when you say that there aren't many options available in CF, but then how can you turn around and call Cashman an idiot because of it?

It's not his fault there is crap to choose from. I do agree with you though, I hope they stay away from Hunter, Pierre, Damon and/or every other big name who has more downside than upside and will cost more than the Yankees should be willing to give up.

If I'm the Yankees GM, I'm finding a cheap option that can play defense. I don't care if they can't hit worth a lick, it doesn't matter. I'd take an Endy Chavez or something along those lines. Just as long as the CF defense improves for next season. Whatever is produced at the plate should be bonus.

As far as middle relief goes, it again looks like a thin pool. You can't blame Cashman for Ryan wanting to close in Chicago or Cleveland rather than set-up in New York.

If I'm running the team, I'd try to see if Howry can be had (I don't think he's officially signed with anyone yet) and then hope like hell you can get Ryan to come here. If not, they'll have to look at other lefty options like Rincon. I'd also consider resigning Gordon for 2 years, but if he wants 3 then he can go somewhere else. I'd take a shot on Octavio Dotel. He's not going to get paid alot anyway, his contract will probably be incentive-based. He was the best set-up man in baseball a few years ago and still has loads of talent. He could be a cheap source of middle relief.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 am

Because you fail to realize that he is paid millions to get it right...period. We aren't...he is. He is in this mess because of years of ineptide both in the pen, in CF and in the starting staff a good deal of which is his own fault and by his own design.

He gets paid to get the job done and saying that there is not much he can do is admitting he screwed up in past years as he was the GM in prior years also. He is not some arm chair GM. He is the real deal with a 200 M payroll and there is no excuse for this. He has been an utter disaster for the past 3 or 4 years and all the apologiists in the world are not going to change that. He got Womack instead of some backup CF last year deciding he needed to replace Cairo more than he did Bernie. Bottom line is he screwed up. And just because he is now stuck in a hole and is forced to swim in it is not an excuse for his own ineptitude that he has shown repeatedly year in and year out for a number of years.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:15 am

The only way the Angles get Manny is if the include Weaver and or wood in the deal. Sorry LAA of A fans... look at the Beckett trade to get proven talent you have to take money and give up blue chip prospects.


And if i am the red sox, i call Manny's bluff. Ok he can sit out, then he won't 19 million dollars.
He is hardly Sheffield. He is incapible of being a cancer. despite his antics, not running to first ect, his teammates love him. He can't go complaing to the press, he doesn't even know who they are ( rumor has it that, during his second season in Boston he asked jerry remy what his job was).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:24 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Because you fail to realize that he is paid millions to get it right...period. We aren't...he is. He is in this mess because of years of ineptide both in the pen, in CF and in the starting staff a good deal of which is his own fault and by his own design.

He gets paid to get the job done and saying that there is not much he can do is admitting he screwed up in past years as he was the GM in prior years also. He is not some arm chair GM. He is the real deal with a 200 M payroll and there is no excuse for this. He has been an utter disaster for the past 3 or 4 years and all the apologiists in the world are not going to change that. He got Womack instead of some backup CF last year deciding he needed to replace Cairo more than he did Bernie. Bottom line is he screwed up. And just because he is now stuck in a hole and is forced to swim in it is not an excuse for his own ineptitude that he has shown repeatedly year in and year out for a number of years.


I don't want to get into again with the whole Cashman thing because we both know where that is going. I just don't know what could have been done in CF. It wasn't that long ago that Bernie was a very solid centerfielder (2002?) Did you want Beltran? What other options did he miss out on?

Bottom line is, there aren't that many good CFers in the league period, nevermind available ones. There are probably about 5 or 6 young stud CFers in the league right now. But to be completely honest, is Bubba Crosby really THAT bad of a fallback option? Obviously he's not our first choice, but he can play defense. Isn't that all the Yankees really need? There is no use in signing a player like Johnny Damon for 4 years, just because you don't want to play Bubba Crosby. That's the type of thing the Yankees usually do, and they get locked into awful contracts.

For once, I'd like to see them take the cheap route (if a guy like Rowand can't be had) and get a guy that strictly covers ground. That would them more than any 30 homerun-100 strikeout-$10 million dollar player...which is the type they usually sign.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:44 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Because you fail to realize that he is paid millions to get it right...period. We aren't...he is. He is in this mess because of years of ineptide both in the pen, in CF and in the starting staff a good deal of which is his own fault and by his own design.

He gets paid to get the job done and saying that there is not much he can do is admitting he screwed up in past years as he was the GM in prior years also. He is not some arm chair GM. He is the real deal with a 200 M payroll and there is no excuse for this. He has been an utter disaster for the past 3 or 4 years and all the apologiists in the world are not going to change that. He got Womack instead of some backup CF last year deciding he needed to replace Cairo more than he did Bernie. Bottom line is he screwed up. And just because he is now stuck in a hole and is forced to swim in it is not an excuse for his own ineptitude that he has shown repeatedly year in and year out for a number of years.


first of all... calm down okay. second of all just because cashman gets paid the big bucks doesnt make him god okay? id say he did a pretty good job as GM, bringing in Chacon mid year to plug up the rotation, and got a young reliable starter. lets say cashman did what you wanted and went out to grab the best CF out there last winter, CARLOS BELTRAN. we would be sitting here listening to you say how stupid cashman was for bringing in beltran, how he's a terrible GM. hindsight is 20/20. i know he's not the greatest GM, but he's done a decent job. yes he made mistakes, but he isnt perfect, no matter how much money he makes.
Image
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2514
Joined: 26 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:49 am

Seeing as though this is a rumours thread, anyone got any more rumours?

BJ Ryan seems like a great fit for Cleveland.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby stevethumb » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:54 am

seen his name mentioned in a coupla posts in this thread...octavio dotel is gonna help some team this year and a note to the redsox...please don't take erstad (he is kmillar from the left side of the plate)
Image
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4041
Joined: 2 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: cloud 9

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:16 am

bigken117 wrote:Aybar?
Joe Saunders?
Erstad?

If the Sox trade one of the most dangerous hitters on the planet for two prospects who arguably aren't even in their teams top 7 (in no order Wood, Morales, Kendrick, Mathis, Callaspo, Kotchman, Weaver) and a 1B who hit 7 HR in over 600 AB, I may just lose it. Replace Aybar with Wood and at least I'm listening.


Aybar and Saunders would be the top prospects in 60% of the teams out there. They don't look as good when matched up with all of the Angels stud spects. You would be getting a future shortstop that is comparable, if not better, than Hanley Ramirez.

H. Ramirez in AA: .271 AVG, 6 HR, 52 RBI, 26 SB, 66 RUNS, 21 2B, 39 BB, 62 K
E. Aybar in AA: .303 AVG, 9 HR, 54 RBI, 49 SB, 101 RUNS, 29 2B 29 BB, 51 K

Stoneman is a stubborn GM and there is no way he's going to give up Wood. Manny is one of the best hitters of this generation, but he's on the downside of his career and wants out of Boston more than ever and would love to be with Vladdy in Anaheim. The Sox don't have any leverage in the deal.

Manny to the Angels seems inevitable now. The Sox just took on Lowell's contract and Beckett will be due for a raise after 2006. They would love to get Manny off their books. And I'd love to have Manny hitting behind Vlad. Win-Win Right?
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:54 am

stevethumb wrote:seen his name mentioned in a coupla posts in this thread...octavio dotel is gonna help some team this year and a note to the redsox...please don't take erstad (he is kmillar from the left side of the plate)


Except he can play defense. What are the odds LAA trades him, and what are they looking for in return?
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact