Tuesday's Hot Rumors... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:02 pm

I know every Yankee fan around would love to see Giles sign with us. Hopefully they get in contact with him soon.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:David Ortiz said today he doesn't expect Manny Ramirez back with the Red Sox next season.
"Manny is living through a difficult situation (in Boston) that only he and his family know and he no longer wants to play there," Ortiz said. "I spoke with him last week before he left for Brazil and he told me that he wants to go to a team in the West." Ramirez, who can block a trade, would like to play for the Angels. Nov. 22 - 1:26 pm et

Manny an Angel seems very possible now...

The Anaheim Ang...

I meant the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim still has money?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Not to start yet another thread talking about the Yankees, but why, oh why do they keep going after bats? Sign a good defensive guy to play Center, and maybe don't depend on RJ and Mussina who had injury problems last year to carry the team. The Yankees got lucky with the scrubs they used for their SP, Aaron Small and Chacon coming through?

And though I wouldn't blame the Yankees for signing all the top FAs this offseason, if they're allowed to do it they might as well, it would be fairly annoying. Just sad to see the rich getting richer that blatantly, but again if it's allowed, then can't blame the organization.. just a useless little bit there.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:36 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Well I can see it now...Giles is playing the Yanks as he is obviously not really interested in NY. Clueless Brian will end up with Bubba and Bernie platooning in CF because he will again fail to do something about a gaping problem for another year. By May we see another episode of Melky Cabrera turning the wrong way on every other fly ball. Then h etrades the farm for RonDL II...err Hunter.

That or you see Damon given that 7 year, 84 M dollar contract.

I personally believe that there is no free agent this off season that the Yankees can't sign, including Brian(Unless he just have something against being a Yankee)

Just think

1B: Tino
2B: Cano
3B: A Rod(what a waste, he should play SS)
SS: Jeter
LF: Matsui
CF: Giles
RF: Sheffield
C: Posada

SP: RJ
SP: Mussina
SP: Pavano
SP: Chacon
SP: Wang/Wright/Small/Brown

then sign a couple of MR/SU guy(Byung-Hyum Kim? I think he'd work out in a lesser pressured situation but not in NY)

some ideas
B. J. Ryan(he did say he don't want to setup, but money can convince a lot of people)
Octavio Dotel
Tim Worrell
Kyle Farnsworth
Antonio Alfonseca
Todd Jones
Darren Dreifort
Roberto Hernandez
Looper
Takatsu
Danny Graves

I don't see how they can go out before the WS next year.

ps. when was Quantrill traded to the Marlins?

First off Tino and Brown are gone...good riddance.

And, if Giles does not want to play in NY, then there is not much that can be done in that regard. It is a free country. The value of a Giles at age 35 as a CF is a dubious call as it is. In any event, Clueless Cashman gets paid to solve problems and he is well on his way to messing this up again either through ineptitude or simple bad luck. This is after all the guy that liked WOmack as a 2b last year and liked Wright over Leiber.

And as for the pitching...that starting rotation looks like a DL stint waiting to happen. Brown is gone and will not be back (all praise god for that). Wright is a waste...Pavano and Moose injuries waiting to happen and RJ is declining. Come May, it would not surprise anyone if Pavano, Wright and Moose are all on the DL,,,AGAIN.

Add in a bullpen that outside of Mo simply blows, esp. if Gordon moves on. Farnsworth, Looper, Dotel...please. Ryan does not want to play in NY according to reports and Todd Jones probably can get a gig as a closer for someone after his fine season last year. If anything, the Yanks pen may be WORSE than it was last season if Gordon moves on if you can believe that. Sturtz is still praised as some sort of commodity, which just boggles the mind. And after that it will be the likes of some second teir guy like Farnsworth who wilted last season under pressure or some mediocre talent like Looper, or some injury problem like Dotel.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:38 pm

personally i dont think Chacon is a "scrub." he could easily take the 3 spot in the Yankee rotation next year. he followed up a good regular season in pinstripes with a stellar performance in Game 4 of the ALDS to force a game 5. and what do you expect the yankees to do this year for center field? trade for torii hunter? the twins are gona fleece the yankees and demand cano and wang. two words: NO WAY. the only other options i see for the yankees besides signing giles in CF is trade for rowand or let bubba crosby play CF.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:44 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Not to start yet another thread talking about the Yankees, but why, oh why do they keep going after bats? Sign a good defensive guy to play Center, and maybe don't depend on RJ and Mussina who had injury problems last year to carry the team. The Yankees got lucky with the scrubs they used for their SP, Aaron Small and Chacon coming through?

And though I wouldn't blame the Yankees for signing all the top FAs this offseason, if they're allowed to do it they might as well, it would be fairly annoying. Just sad to see the rich getting richer that blatantly, but again if it's allowed, then can't blame the organization.. just a useless little bit there.

Simply because there are no pitchers on the FA market worth spending the big bucks on imo (Burnett is hardly Santana). And the Yanks record with mediocre to slightly better than medicore pitchers coming from the NL has been nothing short of awful as of late (Vazquez, Pavano, Wright, Brown, RJ etc). Why just follow a path that has led to folly the past 3 years or so with more NL mediocrity like Burnett or Morris?

I am sure that if a Santana or an Oswalt type were available the Yanks would be all over them, but they are not. So they may as well try to out-club everyone. The other contenders hardly have a 1-4 star studded rotation either in the AL. Outside of the WSox, most do not even have quality number 2s let alone number 4s. Anyone really scaredof Paul Byrd or John Lackey outside of A-Choke that is?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:54 pm

I still think that you will see Damon being offered big bucks. He may not take it, but I do not see a viable option for CF outside of him that does not involve selling off the farm. It would likely end up being a mistake to sign Damon very long term, but Clueless is backed into a corner. He can't go into next season with Bernie or Crosby pr Melky Cabrera or someother rookie...it is folly that will lead to the same mess we saw this year. He needs a reliable option. I do not see a lot of viable options that are going to come cheaply.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:05 pm

The Yankees asked the A's about Mark Kotsay, but talks went nowhere after GM Billy Beane asked for Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang.
Just for a change of pace, maybe some team should ask the Yankees for Cano and Shawn Chacon. The A's signed Kotsay to an extension through 2008 over the summer and aren't looking to move him. Still, no one is untouchable in Oakland. Nov. 22 - 4:17 am et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

This is laughable at best. I really doubt that those are the 2 players Beane asked for unless he intended to ship them straight out afterwards.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:09 pm

Just getting a serviceable CF defensively make sense too for the Yankees. I could see the Royals trading Terrence Long for some scrub prospect like they always do(curse you Allard Baird) and Long was a decent enough CF for the Oakland A's, right?

Rotation: let's say 2 of Pavano/Wright/Mussina is hurt/unproductive by midseason. You still have

RJ
Chacon
Wang
Small
the one left from Pavano/Wright/Mussina

and Tanyon Sturze is a okay(NYY standard) number 5 starter.

Dotel=injury threat? Yes? mid 90s fastball, YES
I do agree that Farnsworth might be trouble in NY but a combination of good-mediocre MRP/SU are better than what they have this year. If Stein has enough leftover he might even go after Wagner(I don't care that he's an aging, small man. But the fact is that he still throw hard and haven't show any slow down) to be a setup man with the money you'd save by not pursuing a top CF.

Anyway, if Cashman do a decent job this offseason and fill up the little holes in this team(MRP-SU, CF)

I don't see how the Yankees can fail next year.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:10 pm

RynMan wrote:
The Yankees asked the A's about Mark Kotsay, but talks went nowhere after GM Billy Beane asked for Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang.
Just for a change of pace, maybe some team should ask the Yankees for Cano and Shawn Chacon. The A's signed Kotsay to an extension through 2008 over the summer and aren't looking to move him. Still, no one is untouchable in Oakland. Nov. 22 - 4:17 am et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

This is laughable at best. I really doubt that those are the 2 players Beane asked for unless he intended to ship them straight out afterwards.

are you saying that the A's don't need a everyday 2B? ;-7
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers