Tuesday's Hot Rumors... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:23 pm

Lots of interesting stuff here...

David Ortiz said today he doesn't expect Manny Ramirez back with the Red Sox next season.
"Manny is living through a difficult situation (in Boston) that only he and his family know and he no longer wants to play there," Ortiz said. "I spoke with him last week before he left for Brazil and he told me that he wants to go to a team in the West." Ramirez, who can block a trade, would like to play for the Angels. Nov. 22 - 1:26 pm et

The Diamondbacks are moving closer to a trade of Javier Vazquez and could have something done within the next two weeks.
"We've talked to a number of clubs, and we know where things stand," Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes said, "so it's very possible something could happen before or during the winter meetings (which begin Dec. 5 in Dallas)." Vazquez can block trades to six teams and it's believed that Philadelphia, Texas, Colorado and Seattle are four of the teams on his list. Nov. 22 - 1:21 pm et
Source: Arizona Republic

Yankees manager Joe Torre and former player Paul O'Neill have both tried calling free agent Brian Giles, but they've yet to get in touch with him.
Joe Bick, who represents Giles, also represented O'Neill as a player. The manager and former outfielder will try to sell Giles on the Yankees if they can reach him. It might be that Giles will return to San Diego without seriously considering offers from other teams. Nov. 22 - 4:20 am et
Source: New York Post

The Yankees asked the A's about Mark Kotsay, but talks went nowhere after GM Billy Beane asked for Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang.
Just for a change of pace, maybe some team should ask the Yankees for Cano and Shawn Chacon. The A's signed Kotsay to an extension through 2008 over the summer and aren't looking to move him. Still, no one is untouchable in Oakland. Nov. 22 - 4:17 am et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Though they've apparently missed out on Josh Beckett, the Dodgers still hope to take advantage of the Marlins' fire sale, perhaps with a Juan Pierre or Carlos Delgado acquisition.
Dodgers GM Ned Colletti spoke Monday with Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, who he said was "thinking about moving a few different players … and he knows what our interest is." It doesn't appear that Paul Lo Duca will return to Los Angeles -- catcher is no longer a need in the organization -- but perhaps something can get done. The Dodgers certainly have enough prospects with which to entice the Marlins. Nov. 22 - 3:58 am et
Source: Los Angeles Times

Billy Wagner is expected to be extended a contract offer today before he returns home from his two-day visit with the Mets in New York.
It's expected that the Mets will open with a three-year proposal, but they could add a fourth year if they believe Wagner is serious about his willingness to play in New York. The Phillies are also expected to sweeten their offer to Wagner soon, probably by guaranteeing him a third year. Nov. 22 - 3:40 am et
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Cubs and Bobby Howry are nearing an agreement on a three-year deal.
The Cubs must have very little faith in the pitchers they've been developing over the last few years. Howry will probably get even more than the $11 million that Scott Eyre is set to earn over the next three years. Nov. 22 - 4:13 am et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:27 pm

Thanks for those updates Bombers. It's always good to hear what's going on.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:31 pm

Um, I hope the Cubs end up with an OF named Giles or Damon.

The thought of Opening day with a starting OF of Dubois-Patterson-Murton makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:35 pm

ironman wrote:Um, I hope the Cubs end up with an OF named Giles or Damon.

The thought of Opening day with a starting OF of Dubois-Patterson-Murton makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Dubois is gone.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Comrade Antelope » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Dubois is gone.

The thought of Hairston Jr.-Patterson-Murton should make it come out of your nose...
"...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue..."
Comrade Antelope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Dubois is gone.

Yeah, he went to Cleveland.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Well I can see it now...Giles is playing the Yanks as he is obviously not really interested in NY. Clueless Brian will end up with Bubba and Bernie platooning in CF because he will again fail to do something about a gaping problem for another year. By May we see another episode of Melky Cabrera turning the wrong way on every other fly ball. Then h etrades the farm for RonDL II...err Hunter.

That or you see Damon given that 7 year, 84 M dollar contract.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Tuesday's Hot Rumors...

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:57 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:David Ortiz said today he doesn't expect Manny Ramirez back with the Red Sox next season.
"Manny is living through a difficult situation (in Boston) that only he and his family know and he no longer wants to play there," Ortiz said. "I spoke with him last week before he left for Brazil and he told me that he wants to go to a team in the West." Ramirez, who can block a trade, would like to play for the Angels. Nov. 22 - 1:26 pm et

Manny an Angel seems very possible now...
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:01 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Well I can see it now...Giles is playing the Yanks as he is obviously not really interested in NY. Clueless Brian will end up with Bubba and Bernie platooning in CF because he will again fail to do something about a gaping problem for another year. By May we see another episode of Melky Cabrera turning the wrong way on every other fly ball. Then h etrades the farm for RonDL II...err Hunter.

That or you see Damon given that 7 year, 84 M dollar contract.

I personally believe that there is no free agent this off season that the Yankees can't sign, including Brian(Unless he just have something against being a Yankee)

Just think

1B: Tino
2B: Cano
3B: A Rod(what a waste, he should play SS)
SS: Jeter
LF: Matsui
CF: Giles
RF: Sheffield
C: Posada

SP: RJ
SP: Mussina
SP: Pavano
SP: Chacon
SP: Wang/Wright/Small/Brown

then sign a couple of MR/SU guy(Byung-Hyum Kim? I think he'd work out in a lesser pressured situation but not in NY)

some ideas
B. J. Ryan(he did say he don't want to setup, but money can convince a lot of people)
Octavio Dotel
Tim Worrell
Kyle Farnsworth
Antonio Alfonseca
Todd Jones
Darren Dreifort
Roberto Hernandez
Looper
Takatsu
Danny Graves

I don't see how they can go out before the WS next year.

ps. when was Quantrill traded to the Marlins?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers