Castillo to Mets? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Castillo to Mets?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Castillo to Mets?

Postby pjalst » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:26 pm

I've heard rumors that the Mest have been talking with the Marlins about a possible deal involving Luis Castillo. Anyone hear of this and know of any details? Also, fantasy wise does this help/hurt Castillo?
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rob0417 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:22 pm

as a met fan i want no part of castillo, he is way too expensive for what he is. A slap hitter who is losing his biggest asset. his steals are way down. Better than Matsui, but I think there are better alternatives.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pjalst » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:56 pm

rob0417 wrote:as a met fan i want no part of castillo, he is way too expensive for what he is. A slap hitter who is losing his biggest asset. his steals are way down. Better than Matsui, but I think there are better alternatives.

I don't like him either, but I inherited a Dynasty team with him on it. He's too expensive for me to trade or just plain release. He's has 2 years left on his contract and I have no choice but to keep him. i was hoping a change of scenery would do him some good.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:17 pm

I heard my teacher talking to a student who went to a Mets dinner/conference or something of the sort, and supposedly some major trades are in the works, and the Mets are heavily pursuing Delgado, Castillo, Manny, and Wagner along with a bunch of others. I'm not saying this is reliable at all, considering that most of this stuff could have been gotten off the net, or the kids could be completely BSing. Take it for what its worth.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:23 pm

I'm on the fence about Castillo. If this is primarily a money deal and I have my choice of Castillo or Kaz Matsui I'll take Castillo in a heartbeat. His defense is still 1st class and to me that would be the most important attribute. He's only 30 and only has a couple of years on his contract so it wouldn't be an extremely risky move. The guy posted a .391 OBA last year and the Mets could certainly use a player like that. I don't care about his diminishing SBs because the Mets will get enough of that with Reyes. Above all things the Mets need a big bat so Castillo isn't the answer but adding a top of the order hitter and a glove at 2B certainly wouldn't hurt.

From a fantasy perspective Castillo's value has dropped a bit no matter where he plays because I don't think he'll get back to 20+ SB. Castillo is not the type of hitter who will be affected by Shea and consider he's been playing in Florida. I would expect a .290+ AVG and at least 75 R although he has the potential for 100 if the Mets get a big bat, Beltran rebounds and Floyd continues playing well. Certainly not a stud fantasy 2B but the position is relatively weak. He won't hurt you and you could certainly do worse.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pjalst » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:40 am

Amazinz wrote:I'm on the fence about Castillo. If this is primarily a money deal and I have my choice of Castillo or Kaz Matsui I'll take Castillo in a heartbeat. His defense is still 1st class and to me that would be the most important attribute. He's only 30 and only has a couple of years on his contract so it wouldn't be an extremely risky move. The guy posted a .391 OBA last year and the Mets could certainly use a player like that. I don't care about his diminishing SBs because the Mets will get enough of that with Reyes. Above all things the Mets need a big bat so Castillo isn't the answer but adding a top of the order hitter and a glove at 2B certainly wouldn't hurt.

From a fantasy perspective Castillo's value has dropped a bit no matter where he plays because I don't think he'll get back to 20+ SB. Castillo is not the type of hitter who will be affected by Shea and consider he's been playing in Florida. I would expect a .290+ AVG and at least 75 R although he has the potential for 100 if the Mets get a big bat, Beltran rebounds and Floyd continues playing well. Certainly not a stud fantasy 2B but the position is relatively weak. He won't hurt you and you could certainly do worse.

I was thinking the same thing. I figured Castillo could get 75-100 runs also if the Mets get some more power into the line up and he would be good for at least 10-15 SB's. He bats in the neighborhood of .290+ careerwise. Like you said, he's not going to hurt me and I could definitely do worst(Kaz).
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:12 am

Castillo to the Mets is not looking so bad for me now that Delgado was traded.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:29 pm

I thought that if Castillo were going to be traded to the Mets it would have happened in this deal.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets