The Jazz Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Jazz Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Jazz Thread

Postby ironman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:58 pm

It was mentioned recently in the movie review thread that perhaps a jazz thread should be started. So here it is. Feel free to share who your favorite artists are or talk about anything you recently purchased, downloaded, listened to. If you're interested in jazz but aren't sure where to start to get your feet wet perhaps this thread will give you some ideas. If you don't listen to jazz or don't like it, please refrain from coming in and simply posting "jazz sucks" or something juvenile like that.

Anyway I personally started getting into jazz towards the end of my senior year in college after taking a 20th century music class to kill some elective credits. My favorite artist is probably Thelonious Monk. I really like the jazz pianists like Monk, Dave Brubeck, Bud Powell, Horace Silver, Ramsey Lewis, as well as the jazz organists such as Jimmy Smith and Jimmy McGriff. Miles Davis is great but who doesn't like Miles? Another trumpet player I really like is Clifford Brown and I also have some Dizzy Gillespie. Saxophonists, I like Coltrane but his later experimental stuff gets to be a bit much for me sometimes. Charlie Parker is good and so is Stan Getz. For more modern jazz I like Medeski, Martin & Wood as well as Brad Mehldau.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:23 pm

Can't disagree with any of the ones you listed. I've gotten to see Medeski in concert twice now, and both times were spectacular. ;-D ;-D

I'm also a big fan of Art Blakey, for his raw energy if nothing else.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 pm

Miles is allright ;-)

I'm also a big Coltrane fan and anybody who hung around with Miles like Charlie Parker and Herbie Hancock. Monk is terrific as is Charles Mingus.

Thank you for not mentioning Chet Baker - I don't like him for some reason but I do like Stan Getz and Charlie Parker.

I'm not into any modern jazz or anything with "fusion" in the title.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:48 pm

Actually Mookie, mentioning guys who hung around Miles reminds me of someone else who I've gotten into lately - Fela Kuti, I think he played on Bitches Brew and maybe others. Kinda crazy but very awesome, if you like the afro-cuban jazz genre. Antibalas, has the same sound, they're one of my favorite bands around today.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but is anyone else picturing Brian on the Bachelorette Family Guy episode, or is it just me? :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:59 pm

God I hate MMW... Really its like a horrible assault to my eardrums....Too much coltrain in it for me.

I consider bela jazz... I dig it.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:15 pm

Doh! I can't believe I forgot Mingus. Mingus Ah Uhm is one of my favorite albums. Also I'm with you on Art Blakey. I've got the Live at Birdland albums and they are fabulous. It was that album that introduced me to Clifford Brown.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Return to General Talk