who does johan santana have to [censored] to get some starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who does johan santana have to [censored] to get some starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who does johan santana have to [censored] to get some starts

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:45 am

sure this topic has been thrown out there 50 times over the last year and a half... but... why the hell do the twins constantly wheel out the rotting corpse of brad radke, kenny the gambler, and rick reed while their staff ace sits on the bench?

milton, radke, mays, reed, rogers, santana.

fantasy wise, tell me which one pitcher you want starting for your squad out of all of them. fine. baseball isn't just #s, but if 9 out of 10 knowledgeable fantasy ball players would say santana, aren't we collectively on to something here? surely gardsie has to notice a 2.24/1.11 era/whip with a slightly over 1 K/IP ratio? right? maybe santana is going out with his daughter or something.

regardless, i'm saving him a slot in the one league where he was a FA before the recent string of starts. one of those old fogies or injury prone veteran stalwarts (radke, mays, milton) has to go down... right? law of averages? .....please? =D
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:54 am

I gave the Twins credit for not rushing Santana and burdening him with too many innings at a young age. But he's ready to start every fifth day now, and would very possibly be the ace of the staff. Remarkably poor managing.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:56 am

I never did understand signing Rogers. The Twins seem to have their own way of doing things. If it isn't TK turning an otherwise solid prospect into his own personal whipping boy, it's Gardsy turning a blind eye to the best talent on the team.

Why they think he is most valuable as a middle reliever is beyond me. With Guardado and Hawkins threatening not to be Twins next year, perhaps this was the plan all along. JC Romero as closer, Johan setting him up. If they gave him a starting spot and he won 20+ games, he can hardly be moved to set-up man for an un-proven closer.

If I was Johan, I'd ask LaTroy and Eddie if I can go with them.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:29 am

DGroundhog wrote:With Guardado and Hawkins threatening not to be Twins next year, perhaps this was the plan all along. JC Romero as closer, Johan setting him up. If they gave him a starting spot and he won 20+ games, he can hardly be moved to set-up man for an un-proven closer.

That is great insight. I can see that as a possibility. It certainly makes sense.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby homerunhitter » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:57 am

I read somewhere that the twins were saving him as a secret weapon for the playoffs. I think that is a great idea, look at what F. Rodriguez did for the Angels last year. I'm sure the twins don't give a rip what fantasy baseball owners think.
homerunhitter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby easygoing » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:50 am

They have to make the playoffs first... in which case you might want to break him out a little early. Inlike K-rod, Santana has been used pretty much all of this year and all of last year, so he is not surprise. Many teams have seen him as a reliever and they now have footage of him as a starter. The kid can get hit hard at times, but so don't most ML pitchers. I think they have to start him at some point if two of their startign five continue to blow up each week. I wish Another team in that division would make a legitimate push to force them to use him as a starter and get the kid his innings!!
easygoing
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers