Just a thought... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just a thought...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just a thought...

Postby mikemcj55 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:10 pm

I should preference this post by saying that I love yahoo's fantasy services, I think its easy to use and accessible, and I understand the concept that you get what you pay for. However, I also think a service can never stop improving, and there's no harm in trying.

I think yahoo needs more stats. My particular beef is with the lack of quality starts as a pitcher category. While far from perfect, i think its a more accurate predictor of a pitcher's consistency and team-independent value than is wins. However, each of the past two years that I've requested it, I've been rejected, without any stated reason (though most definitely economic).

So my thought was to use the power of the consumer. I was wondering if there was any way that the cafe could get some sort of petition going to ask them to add quality starts to their categories, along with any other stats that seem to be in high demand (opp BA, net steals, etc.). I don't know if the stat licensing finances become unmanageable for them if they start adding too many stats, but if enough people want certain things, maybe they would consider it, and there's certainly no harm in asking.

If this is a terrible idea, or has been done, or if people think we'll be beating our heads against a wall, please let me know, I'm just trying to gauge interest/reactions. My general sense when perusing the cafe and the baseball world is the growing rise of sabr and other more accurate player stats is leading to a growing recognition of the imperfections of 5x5 stats and other traditional baseball categories. Yahoo, one of the biggest providers of these services, will undoubtedly turn like a battlership on this issue, but I'm hoping that if the cafe gives them a push in the right direction, they might just turn a bit faster.
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Giambis » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:17 pm

I would definitely get in on it, though I agree with you that yahoo might not listen or change anytime soon.
There are several stats I would like to see be added. The problem I might see is that if we would petition them effectively, we couldn't ask for every stat, it would be too easy to dismiss.
We'd have to pick a select few that we could agree on. Would a poll be the best way to do that?
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:17 pm

Its free. ;-D
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:31 am

I get what your saying, but I'm cool with what they are providing. I mean, you can't beat it if it's for free. ;-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:37 am

I would if we were discussing a stat that I use often. 6 innings, 3 earned runs is not a quality start to me, so it's not a stat I use often. When I do want to check a pitcher's quality starts, I just scan his game log. Really easy to do, and leaves the judgement on what I call a quality start, up to me.

Good luck with getting what you want though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers