Ichiro-Hargrove feud may benefit Yanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Ichiro-Hargrove feud may benefit Yanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ichiro-Hargrove feud may benefit Yanks

Postby The Big Stick » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:06 pm

November 20, 2005

The Yankees recently inquired about the availability of Ichiro Suzuki but were told by Mariners ownership they will not trade him.

While the Yankees previously were steadfast in their refusal to part with their dual desirables, Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang, they viewed Ichiro as the perfect answer to their gaping centerfield hole.

"Whatever it takes" is basically their standing offer for Ichiro in hopes that his feud with manager Mike Hargrove could be impetus to a trade.

Ichiro recently went on a public diatribe about Mariners problems, and although he didn't name names, he is unhappy with both Hargrove and GM Bill Bavasi (Newsday has learned that Hargrove and Bavasi recently proposed trading Ichiro and that Ichiro suggested Hargrove's firing, which should make for an uncomfortable spring reunion).

The Yankees also inquired about bringing back Alfonso Soriano to play center but were unwilling to trade Cano and/or Wang (Texas could have had Cano as the throw-in in the A-Rod trade). The Marlins requested the same two players for Juan Pierre, whom Yankees reports suggest regressed last season, anyway.

GM Brian Cashman started strong with two brilliant free-agent deals - his own, then Hideki Matsui's - before hitting that same hurdle that has stopped the Yankees before. It'll never be like the dark days of the early '90s again, but many ballplayers fear New York, preferring smaller cities, warmer weather, lower prices, less taxes and no pressure.

Brian Giles, who's avoided New York forever with no-trade contract stipulations, is said to be "playing phone tag" with Joe Torre - a very bad sign - after the Yankees floated $33 million for three years. Giles is a West Coast guy, but if he ventures east of the Rockies, he'll likely go to St. Louis. That's really no great loss, as one AL scout said, "He's no centerfielder."

The Yankees finally broke down and called agent Scott Boras about Johnny Damon, and as Newsday reported, Boras seeks $84 million and seven years. The Yankees like Damon, but for four years and at half that price.

Cashman is said to be "dead set against" the volatile Milton Bradley. And with Cashman's newfound power holding through three weeks, Bradley appears out, too.

The bullpen isn't exactly falling into place, either. Scott Eyre rejected the Yankees for the Cubs, even Jose Mesa turned up his nose, and Yankees people aren't confident they can lure Bobby Howry or Kyle Farnsworth, either. They offered Tom Gordon two years for $10 million to return, but he's saying he wants three years, and he might want it elsewhere, anyway.

While B.J. Ryan's agent tells the Yankees they're alive, Ryan is telling folks he wants to close (and he doesn't love Lee Mazzilli). No wonder the Yankees have begun moving to the second tier: Julian Tavarez, Ricardo Rincon, Joey Eischen and Mike Myers.

Cashman began big with his best free-agent deal to date . . . yes, his own three-year, $5.4-million contract, the very deal that so upset Bud Selig (though as one agent pointed out, "What's he talking about? Bud makes $6 million.").

Anyway, Cashman topped himself with the four-year, $52-million deal for Matsui, an absolute steal for a player who provides 100-plus RBIs and great global marketing. As one club exec said, "We make money on him." And one agent said, "That's the best contract from a management standpoint anyone will sign this winter."

If they do nothing else, looks as if George Steinbrenner got revenge on reviled agent Arn Tellem for sticking him with Jason Giambi's $120-million deal (and the needles that came with him).

Man how great would that be? Ichiro in center with that arm and hitting first in the yankee lineup. If Cashman has to include his wife in the trade I say do it.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm

This will never happen.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby blankman » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:08 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Ichiro's 32 or so and is vastly overrated. He's not a great hitter at all and he's overpaid. Cano alone is way too much for him.

I'm sure he'd be a fine CF, but with his poor OBP, not at the price of $11 M or whatever it is.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:44 am

blankman wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Ichiro's 32 or so and is vastly overrated. He's not a great hitter at all and he's overpaid. Cano alone is way too much for him.

I'm sure he'd be a fine CF, but with his poor OBP, not at the price of $11 M or whatever it is.

I agree. Ichiro has had a couple decent seasons but I think he's slightly overrated. He'd be a good decent addition for your Yankees but I don't think it's worth the price of Cano.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:37 pm

:-? I think you guys are overrating Cano. Ichiro himself is overrated, but Cano isn't the second coming of Alfonso Soriano or anything.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby blankman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 pm

At 23, 2nd base, dirt cheap and the way he played in the final couple months of the season AND the playoffs, he's much much more important to this team's future than Ichiro could be.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby shuss107 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:51 pm

How can you say that Ichiro is vastly overrated? Are we talking about the same guy who won MVP in his first year? Are we still talking about the guy who broke the single season hits record 2 years ago? Granted, hes not as good as he was, but he still plays great OF with a great arm. I'm not completely sold that Ichiro for Cano would be a good deal because I love Cano, but I dont know how you can say Ichiro is overrated.

If we did get him our lineup would improve, our defense would improve, and because our defense improves our pitching might as well.

Once again, I dont know if I would give up Cano, but if we could maybe give up Pavano (wanna talk about overrated?), Wright, or some prospects (Eric Duncan?) then why not?
shuss107
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby WharfRat » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 pm

shuss107 wrote:How can you say that Ichiro is vastly overrated? Are we talking about the same guy who won MVP in his first year? Are we still talking about the guy who broke the single season hits record 2 years ago? Granted, hes not as good as he was, but he still plays great OF with a great arm. I'm not completely sold that Ichiro for Cano would be a good deal because I love Cano, but I dont know how you can say Ichiro is overrated.

If we did get him our lineup would improve, our defense would improve, and because our defense improves our pitching might as well.

Once again, I dont know if I would give up Cano, but if we could maybe give up Pavano (wanna talk about overrated?), Wright, or some prospects (Eric Duncan?) then why not?

I'd take Ichiro in CF before Pierre, but I'm afraid Blank's right. The Yankees need to get younger and cheaper (or at least start getting more value on the dollar), and Ichiro is neither. He doesn't get on base enough anymore, his average is on the way down, and he's basically a groundball/singles hitter. Not a bad player, granted, and still a fine fielder, but not the kind of guy the Yanks should be looking for unless he falls into their lap for a song.

In many ways, he's not the player he was in 2001.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:54 pm

WharfRat wrote:
shuss107 wrote:How can you say that Ichiro is vastly overrated? Are we talking about the same guy who won MVP in his first year? Are we still talking about the guy who broke the single season hits record 2 years ago? Granted, hes not as good as he was, but he still plays great OF with a great arm. I'm not completely sold that Ichiro for Cano would be a good deal because I love Cano, but I dont know how you can say Ichiro is overrated.

I'd take Ichiro in CF before Pierre, but I'm afraid Blank's right. The Yankees need to get younger and cheaper (or at least start getting more value on the dollar), and Ichiro is neither. He doesn't get on base enough anymore, his average is on the way down, and he's basically a groundball/singles hitter. Not a bad player, granted, and still a fine fielder, but not the kind of guy the Yanks should be looking for unless he falls into their lap for a song.

In many ways, he's not the player he was in 2001.

I don't know who you'd rather have in the OF. At 33, Ichiro still has several productive season ahead of him. He plays a fantastic outfield. Who else has could have climbed up the fence to make that backhanded grab earlier this year? And his BA last season was still above .300. Yeah, he's not going to be the same player he was his first year here, but he's not washed up either. He's stolen 30+ bases every year in the Majors, and last year was CS only 8 times. I think Ichiro would be a great fit at the top of that lineup for the Yanks. He'd be on base for all the power hitters, and could disrupt pitchers for Jeter, the way Sori used to. The only problem I would have with getting Ichiro, is that the Yanks would probably have to give up Cano or Wang, or both, in return. I really like what both of them have done so far and think they have a lot of potential. I think that if the Yanks are offered Ichiro, they ought to take a serious look at it.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Yankees