You know what me off? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You know what me off?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You know what me off?

Postby Phatferd » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:31 pm

Teams and players who sign 4-5 year deals and the 2nd year into the contract they want out!

The Marlins signed Delgado last year and now all of a sudden his contract is a burden? Gimme a break, you signed him for that price!

Now I hear Pavano wants out of NY. Well tough luck, you signed the deal for the money to play there so play there. He knows if he enough he will get out and still get his money.

To me this system is messed up. If you sign a contract fulfill the damn thing and I don't just mean fulfill it by paying it out because if you signed the contract you have to honor it, but honor the deal in its entirity (sp?).

That's just my rant.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby AngelFan416 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:35 pm

Ahh, I so agree, but business is business.

Pavano wasn't ready to be with the Yankees. I think most started realizing after the first few months of the season, and then he got hurt. Not a good way to go out in NY.. get that bloated contract, and then want out.

Also, like I said, business is business with Delgado. His contract, iirc, is backloaded. This year he made very little. Throw in the fact that the Marlins need a new stadium, and they need some actual fans, and they're out to make a profit. Delgado is a tradeable piece.

Still though, I agree. Guys want out and complain way too much.
AngelFan416
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 281
Joined: 12 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby Phatferd » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:45 pm

AngelFan416 wrote:Ahh, I so agree, but business is business.

Pavano wasn't ready to be with the Yankees. I think most started realizing after the first few months of the season, and then he got hurt. Not a good way to go out in NY.. get that bloated contract, and then want out.

Also, like I said, business is business with Delgado. His contract, iirc, is backloaded. This year he made very little. Throw in the fact that the Marlins need a new stadium, and they need some actual fans, and they're out to make a profit. Delgado is a tradeable piece.

Still though, I agree. Guys want out and complain way too much.


I understand about Delgado and players wanting out too much, but the teams should hold some of the same responsibilities.

The Marlins are the ones who backloaded it and now that they have to spend a little more they want to move him. I understand about the stadium, but they knew that going into his deal. You would think they would have learned from Lowell's contract.

Same with Thome and the Phills. I know they have Howard, but they knew he was in their system when they signed Thome to this huge deal and now they want to dump him to another team. They made the deal and now they want to free their hands of him.

Here's a simple solution. Pay part of his contract and it won't be hard to deal these guys. But no, we can't afford to pay part of his contract. Well you shouldn't have signed him to that in the first place!!
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:48 pm

You ever refinance your mortgage?

Circumstances change. New information appears. What looked good then, looks bad now.

Unless you want to argue that every person and business should live with every choice they ever made, no matter the circumstances, I don't see what the big deal is.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:32 pm

Perfect example of this : Manny.

Players have too much leverage these days : you signed the contract, honor it.
Last edited by RocketsDWM on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:12 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Perfect example of this : Manny. <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif> <img src=/forums/images/smiles/kiss.gif>

Players have too much leverage these days : you signed the contract, honor it.


...except for the first 7-10 years of their time as a player, of course, when they have almost no leverage.

Renegotiating is hardly unusual in contracts anywhere. And what leverage does a player have? Tank a season, and how much does that reduce your worth to another team?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:20 pm

They can be a huge distraction on team. I can recall Nomar being cited as being difficult in the clubhouse and unhappy and forced his way out of town.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:34 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:...except for the first 7-10 years of their time as a player, of course, when they have almost no leverage.

Renegotiating is hardly unusual in contracts anywhere. And what leverage does a player have? Tank a season, and how much does that reduce your worth to another team?


I once heard a former player discribe the life a player this way:
The team has the leverage for the first 4-5 years of a players career. Then the the payer has the leverage for the next 5-6 years. Then the team has the leverage for the last 4 years.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:11 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:They can be a huge distraction on team. I can recall Nomar being cited as being difficult in the clubhouse and unhappy and forced his way out of town.


Yeah, the Red Sox were really completely and totally distracted by Nomar in 2004. They didn't accomplish a damn thing because of that huge distraction.

Nomar successfully forced his way out of town and into a contract worth $3.5 million less than what he was earning in Boston, not counting the playoff $ he missed the last two years.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:13 pm

thedude wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:...except for the first 7-10 years of their time as a player, of course, when they have almost no leverage.

Renegotiating is hardly unusual in contracts anywhere. And what leverage does a player have? Tank a season, and how much does that reduce your worth to another team?


I once heard a former player discribe the life a player this way:
The team has the leverage for the first 4-5 years of a players career. Then the the payer has the leverage for the next 5-6 years. Then the team has the leverage for the last 4 years.


I think that leaves out the 2-4 years of minor league ball, when the player also has little leverage. It also depends on the player's age. Come up at age 21, and you hit free agency right during your prime years. and you have a ton of leverage at the right time for several years.

Come up at age 25, and the team has a lot of leverage during your peak performing years. You hit free agency just as your performance starts to drop, and your leverage is minimal and short-lived.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact