Rumor: Beckett/Lowell for Blalock/prospect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Beckett/Lowell for Blalock/prospect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:37 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers are on the verge of getting Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell from the Marlins for Hank Blalock and John Danks.
Maybe it was Boston's interest in Beckett that pushed the Rangers into including Danks. It'd be a lot to give up, especially if the Marlins aren't going to pick up any portion of Lowell's contract. Nov. 19 - 10:55 pm et
Source: Dallas Morning News

Fair deal....looks like Texas might finally get their ace. I still think the staff needs more work though. One more #2 or 3 level starter in exchange for Mench would be fine by me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:40 am

slomo007 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers are on the verge of getting Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell from the Marlins for Hank Blalock and John Danks.
Maybe it was Boston's interest in Beckett that pushed the Rangers into including Danks. It'd be a lot to give up, especially if the Marlins aren't going to pick up any portion of Lowell's contract. Nov. 19 - 10:55 pm et
Source: Dallas Morning News

Fair deal....looks like Texas might finally get their ace. I still think the staff needs more work though. One more #2 or 3 level starter in exchange for Mench would be fine by me.

Now if only he can keep those blisters away.

Lowell's value gets a huge boost if this trade does infact go through. Good lineup, good hitting park, and a nice expensive contract.

The works.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:48 am

Yes, Lowell's value gets a big boost...however I have a feeling that he'll be everyone's favorite sleeper pick and could even end up being overrated come draft time. Especially in Cafe leagues where the players are actually intelligent.

Still though, I'd be happy with average 3b numbers from him...wouldn't expect much - the move sure didn't help Nevin much. Remember Brad Fullmer from 2 years ago? He didn't amount to much after being a serious Texas sleeper too.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:57 am

slomo007 wrote:Yes, Lowell's value gets a big boost...however I have a feeling that he'll be everyone's favorite sleeper pick and could even end up being overrated come draft time. Especially in Cafe leagues where the players are actually intelligent.

Still though, I'd be happy with average 3b numbers from him...wouldn't expect much - the move sure didn't help Nevin much. Remember Brad Fullmer from 2 years ago? He didn't amount to much after being a serious Texas sleeper too.

Ahh, I know not to get over-excited about him.

Fullmer? How can I forget Mr. Fullmer. The man who hit 30+ HR and 100+ RBI for the Jays and just like you said, flattened out after going to Texas. So there's a key example folks, Lowell may turn out to be good, but he also may be 11 HR 33 RBI bad like a certain buddy of ours *cough* Fullmer *cough*

Would I take a shot on him? Sure.

Would I expect top notch 3B numbers? Probably not.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:01 am

slomo007 wrote:Yes, Lowell's value gets a big boost...however I have a feeling that he'll be everyone's favorite sleeper pick and could even end up being overrated come draft time. Especially in Cafe leagues where the players are actually intelligent.

those are my favorite "sleepers". :-D the ones where everyone is so high on them that he ends up going earlier than he should rather than later. the ultimate anti-sleeper! ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:02 am

George_Foreman wrote:

those are my favorite "sleepers". :-D the ones where everyone is so high on them that he ends up going earlier than he should rather than later. the ultimate anti-sleeper! ;-D

Happens every year. :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ramble2 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:00 am

Blalock in Florida? Going from one of the best HR parks to one of the worst?

Regardless of whether this deal makes sense for the Rangers or the Marlins, I'm glad I moved Blalock in a package for Wright! 8-o
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:53 am

Rotoworld
If acquired by the Marlins, Hank Blalock could be moved on to another team, the Palm Beach Post reports.
Blalock is owed $13.7 million over the next three years, and the Marlins would still prefer to put Miguel Cabrera at third base. Unlike the Dallas Morning News, the Post doesn't believe the Beckett deal has been agreed to yet, saying that the Rangers may move Adrian Gonzalez for a pitcher to send to the Marlins instead of John Danks. But it does appear that the trade will happen. Nov. 20 - 12:43 am et
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:51 am

Interesting that only Blaylocks splits were discussed.

<pre>2005 W L IP HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
 Home 10 2 91 5 31 88 2.470 1.040 0.205
 Away 5 6 87 9 27 78 4.310 1.320 0.261

2004 W L IP HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
 Home 4 5 91 8 36 94 3.450 1.160 0.213
 Away 5 4 65 8 18 58 4.270 1.300 0.265

2003 W L IP HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
 Home 7 3 84 5 34 92 2.670 1.290 0.233
 Away 2 5 57 4 22 60 3.590 1.370 0.265</pre>

and this was mostly against the NL East.
Last edited by wrveres on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:10 am

Havok1517 wrote:Rotoworld
If acquired by the Marlins, Hank Blalock could be moved on to another team, the Palm Beach Post reports.
Blalock is owed $13.7 million over the next three years, and the Marlins would still prefer to put Miguel Cabrera at third base. Unlike the Dallas Morning News, the Post doesn't believe the Beckett deal has been agreed to yet, saying that the Rangers may move Adrian Gonzalez for a pitcher to send to the Marlins instead of John Danks. But it does appear that the trade will happen. Nov. 20 - 12:43 am et

Now that one I like. ;-D

Adrian/Blalock for Beckett/Lowell? Sounds good to me. ;-D

Blalock has been struggling, but will turn it around. I think the kid is too good not to get it figured out sooner, rather than later. Hitting in Florida will hurt his fantasy value though.

Adrian won't wind up in the Ranger's starting lineup since we don't really have a place to put him, plus he's being shopped all over town. Moving him won't hurt at all.

Lowell has been off to say the least, but at the same time he's unhappy in Florida. I would expect some turnaround hitting in Texas (not sure he'd be much happier here), but he still won't be worth his contract. The Ranger's offense can take that hit to land some starting pitching though.

Beckett still has solid potential as far as I'm concerned. His numbers when healthy are solid, and we need all the pitching we can get. I really hope he can stay healthy though.

Basically the Rangers overpay for a 3B, but land a good starter. The Marlins get a cheaper, and better 3B, but lose a good starter.

I don't think either team really wins or loses this deal unless Beckett can stay healthy for a full season, or if Lowell relearns how to hit next year and puts up solid numbers.

I like it, and hope the Rangers are able to get it done. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers