Rumor: Beckett/Lowell for Blalock/prospect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Beckett/Lowell for Blalock/prospect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:59 pm

MrT wrote:it comes down to this;
the marlins are desparate to dump Lowell because for 11/2 yars he stinks and is too much money for the marlins. Blalock is cheaper, has more power and is younger.
Beckett is not a marlin's favorite. He is hurt too much and is nearing a big pay hike. he will never be resigned so perhaps a prospect can take his place and free up cash.

shhh....this logic has no place on a fantasy baseball board.

You're right though. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:17 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i'll give you the top list (although guys like RJ adn Schilling are really old and really expensive, and if i'm a MLB owner, i'd much prefer the younger guy with arbitration years left), but lacky, contreras, freddy garica, matt moris, kerry wood? no way. these guys are solid pitchers who have had good years, but none have the "stuff" of beckett. they're all older than him, too, and will likely cost more.

young guys with the talent of beckett just don't come around very often, and when they do, you've got to cling to them desperately, IMO.

Those guys u mentioned were under the title "Might take over Beckett". I would take Garcia and Contreras over Beckett. Contreras was dominating in the second half and continued that in the playoffs. Everyone knows he has the stuff to become the ace of a staff. Beckett is injury-prone and has yet to reach that level he was at during the World Series a couple of yrs back. I see this as an excellent trade for the Marlins. Blalock, Mcab, Delgado is a potent lineup. The Marlins get rid of an aging player with no use in Lowell and get rid of their injury-prone star. Some people in this thread are talking about Blalock like he cant change in the future. The bottom line : it frees up some of the money that could be used to retain Delgado while getting a solid young player in return.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:28 pm

I don't think they are doing this to free up money for Delgado. They are doing it to free up money to cut the payroll and to be able to lock up Cabrera long term. That's probably the only plus to this whole situation.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:58 pm

rotoworld quotes peter gammons as saying that the redsox are involved in trying to acquire jbeckett .. they are proposing hanley ramirez and anibal sanchez...they may or may not accept mlowell's contract.....i think the sox should do that deal .. a front line SP and a 3B for 2 prospects...although texas' offer does look better for the marlins
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:08 pm

stevethumb wrote:rotoworld quotes peter gammons as saying that the redsox are involved in trying to acquire jbeckett .. they are proposing hanley ramirez and anibal sanchez...they may or may not accept mlowell's contract.....i think the sox should do that deal .. a front line SP and a 3B for 2 prospects...although texas' offer does look better for the marlins

8-o I hope the sox dont do that trade.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:30 pm

If i were a marlins fan i would prefer the Texas trade to the alternative...

BOSTON gets: Beckett + Lowell
FLORIDA gets: Hanley Ramirez + Abinal Sanchez
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Doesn't Fla need a SS now that Alex Gonzalez is a FA? I've also heard that Fla really doens't wanna resign him. The Red Sox have Renteria @ SS with no place for Hanley right now. The Red Sox lose Millar & Mueller and maybe Manny. I think this deal makes much more sense.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:03 pm

Beckett has alot of potential but can he really be trusted? The man has yet to have a full healthy season in an MLB uniform. I'd be weary about trading away the farm for a guy like that.

I do like Texas's point of view though. I'd make the deal if I'm them. They need pitching wherever they can get it and they have an offensive surplus.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:19 am

I love the idea of getting Beckett but not for Hanley and Anibal, plus picking up the whole tab on Lowell.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:33 am

According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers are on the verge of getting Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell from the Marlins for Hank Blalock and John Danks.
Maybe it was Boston's interest in Beckett that pushed the Rangers into including Danks. It'd be a lot to give up, especially if the Marlins aren't going to pick up any portion of Lowell's contract. Nov. 19 - 10:55 pm et
Source: Dallas Morning News
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers