Nintendo Revolution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Nintendo Revolution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nintendo Revolution

Postby ironman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:52 am

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000667043658/

I wouldn't even considered getting one but that backwards compatibility feature has me thinking otherwise.

Not sure I'm digging the controller design though. They went way outside the box here.

Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:54 am

I don't know if that's necessarily what the controller will look like, and if so, from what I understand you will be able to get a "normal" looking controller.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:56 am

Coppermine wrote:I don't know if that's necessarily what the controller will look like, and if so, from what I understand you will be able to get a "normal" looking controller.

Here's the article I got it from.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

Yeah if they had a normal controller option I'd probably get the normal one.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby logan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:01 pm

that controller looks terrible. nintendo was a staple of gaming in the 80's and now they are all about gimicks. i don't get it. they make excellent first party games and then nothing else. i think they should have gone the way of sega myself. they'd make a ton more money if zelda and mario went console wide (even pc). i love the zelda games (the new one looks amazing) but i'm not dumping what 150 200 bucks to play just that game. on pc or ps2 i'd be buying it yesterday.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm

I thought Nintendo had announced some time back that they were going to do exactly what you said, Logan, and start moving away from the console market so that they could focus on what they're good at - game design.

I'm guessing that they had a lot of R&D tied up in the Revolution, so they finished it up. I would be surprised to see anymore Nintendo hardware after this system goes by the side.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby ironman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:14 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I thought Nintendo had announced some time back that they were going to do exactly what you said, Logan, and start moving away from the console market so that they could focus on what they're good at - game design.

I'm guessing that they had a lot of R&D tied up in the Revolution, so they finished it up. I would be surprised to see anymore Nintendo hardware after this system goes by the side.

Maybe that's why they're doing the All-Access backwards compatibility thing. It'll be the last Nintendo machine you'll ever need.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby logan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:17 pm

they did say that early after they released the gamecube because sales were less than stellar. i think it was the fan base and their own stubborness becasue of past success that caused them to design a new console. they believe they have a viable product when they don't. if you take zelda,mario(in all aspects. party games sports and the standard games) and metroid away they have nothing. i also think it had to do with the DS' success as well.

the backwards compatibility is a nice feature but i still own my 64 and the early games can be emulated on pc. it does lend to a nice selling point though as long as you don't have to buy anything to make this comaptibility to work. i don't see a cart port on that machine so i'm a little leary as to how that is going to work.
Last edited by logan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:19 pm

BTW, nice av, Logan.

;-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby perlick29 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:41 pm

Super Smash Revolution is the only reason to even consider buying the system, and Zelda.

Other than that it's tough competition to compete with the two new systems. I actually came in 2nd for a DS at the Temple University super smash brothers tournament. It was pretty exciting.

No one stops me with Samus on this website. No one. :-°
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:46 pm

perlick29 wrote:Super Smash Revolution is the only reason to even consider buying the system, and Zelda.

Other than that it's tough competition to compete with the two new systems. I actually came in 2nd for a DS at the Temple University super smash brothers tournament. It was pretty exciting.

No one stops me with Samus on this website. No one. :-°

What is super smash revolution?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk