Friday Morning rumors. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Friday Morning rumors.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Friday Morning rumors.

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:25 am

Orioles interested in Delgado
Marlins first baseman Carlos Delgado could replace Rafael Palmeiro in Baltimore if Orioles officials — currently divided over the idea — agree to give up a top pitching prospect, a baseball source said Thursday. The Marlins and Orioles have not yet discussed a trade, but Baltimore's front office has talked about it since at least the general managers' meetings in California last week. "Baltimore is seriously debating whether to get Delgado, but they are split over whether to pursue it,'' said the source, who was briefed on Baltimore's strategies

Phillies Wany Billy Back!
A contingent of Phillies executives, led by General Manager Pat Gillick, visited Wagner at his Virginia home Wednesday morning, and Wagner later told The Philadelphia Inquirer that he was "very optimistic." "I got a really good vibe from him," Wagner said of Gillick. "Me and my agent were talking afterward, and we were really upbeat about the meeting. I think he's got a game plan." Gillick did not make an offer, but the Phillies' interest in re-signing Wagner is clear. He is one of the best closers in the game. Wagner's agent, Bean Stringfellow, said he had "noticed a different sense about things with the Phillies" and that he had left the meeting "with the sense that progress was being made even though I can't put my finger on why." The competition for Wagner is shaping up as a two-team race

Nationals Meet With Burnett
Washington Nationals officials met with right-hander A.J. Burnett , the prize of the free agent pitching crop, on Wednesday night in Miami, the first step in what is expected to be a lengthy process of courting the former Florida Marlin. "It went well," General Manager Jim Bowden said yesterday. "We had a nice discussion. We certainly were impressed with A.J., the type of husband and father and person he is. We really got the feel of him wanting to win a world championship. We feel fortunate that we're one of the teams left on his list."

Jojima tells New York, Sayonara
It looks as if the Mets have one fewer candidate for their vacant catcher's job. Free agent Kenji Jojima abruptly canceled his visit to New York yesterday and returned home to Japan for what was described as "personal reasons." Mets officials, surprised by the sudden change of plans, came away with the impression that Jojima is either going to sign with the Mariners or the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, his former team in Japan. As many as six major-league clubs were interested in Jojima, but the only place he visited was Seattle, and it appears he will not resume his U.S. tour before making a decision.

Colletti to talk to Fregosi, Collins and Piniella
Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti, moving quickly in his search for a manager, is scheduled to interview Jim Fregosi on Saturday and Terry Collins on Sunday, both in the Tampa, Fla., area, and was expected to speak to Lou Piniella as well. The Atlanta Braves on Thursday granted Colletti permission to contact Fregosi. Colletti asked Collins, the Dodgers' director of minor league operations, to meet with him.
Piniella said Thursday he had not yet spoken to Colletti, and Piniella expressed minimal interest in becoming the next Dodger manager. "It would be a longshot," Piniella said "I'm flattered," .. "but I just got out of my thing in Tampa Bay." .."We'll see what happens," .."Truthfully, the West Coast thing, what happened a few years ago in Seattle, I just needed to get close to home. That obstruction is not there." .. "I haven't pressed anything, I'll be quite honest with you. I've talked to a couple teams, but I basically haven't pressed anything…. I was going to take it easy for a while. I wouldn't be in a hurry to do anything." .. "Ned's a good baseball man," .. "You've got yourself a good, solid baseball man there."

Dodgers aggressively pursuing Giles
Between general managers, the Dodgers have aggressively pursued free-agent outfielder Brian Giles, according to Giles' agent. Joe Bick said he'd had "numerous conversations" with Ng and Smith but would not characterize the Dodgers' chances of signing the 34-year-old native of El Cajon, Calif. "The one thing that has remained consistent in that period is their interest in Brian," Bick said. He also said that although Giles has enjoyed playing near home, in San Diego, "to the best of my knowledge, it's not going to be the deciding factor. We haven't ruled out a number of the other markets."

Nationals intested in Encarnacion
Bowden, who is working out of the team's spring training facility in Viera, Fla., is keeping in touch with the agent for free agent outfielder Juan Encarnacion , who played for the Marlins last year. The Nationals have not yet offered Encarnacion a contract. Encarnacion, who will turn 30 before next season, hit .287 with 16 homers and 76 RBI for Florida in 20

David Wells Coming Home, Again?
There are rumors swirling that the Sox and San Diego Padres are in serious negotiations regarding Sox left-hander David Wells. The Sox are interested in right-handed reliever Akinori Otsuka and outfielder Dave Roberts, while the Padres are intent on keeping Otsuka, especially with Trevor Hoffman likely gone. The Padres do not intend to flip center fielder Mike Cameron, who they just acquired in a trade with the Mets. The Padres have wanted to acquire Cameron for some time and reportedly were relieved they didn’t have to give up Otsuka to get him
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 am

good work! THings are starting to heat up. It would be nice to go into a Dodgers offseason with the following four things in place:
1. an owner (2 years ago, they missed out on a super free-agent class, and actually had a little money, but ownership wasn't in place)
2. a GM (well at least McCourt moved somewhat quickly on this
3. a manager (its coming! Fregosi, Collins, Sweet Lou.....well thats another post)
4. an absence of bloated contracts (well not Dreifort-esque, but 5 contracts over 8.5 million will eat up payroll in hurry)
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am

There's a Japanese city called Fukuoka? Sounds insulting!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:55 pm

That's interesting that Hoffman is now apprently considered likely toleave San Diego.

I wonder who the Os would be sending to Florida. Penn?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:31 pm

stumpak wrote:That's interesting that Hoffman is now apprently considered likely toleave San Diego.
If Giles and Hoffman leave SD. Petco is going to make PNC looked packed.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby praxman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:12 pm

No way the O's give up any top prospect. Florida would need to eat half of that contract before they would even consider a Penn or Loewen. Delgado's contract is so back loaded, Florida will end up eating part of the contract just to get someone to take it.

Watch teams sweat it out of them. They know Florida has no footing...they can't afford to keep Delgado's contract.
praxman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:27 pm

...the type of husband and father and person he is.

:-P
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:33 pm

Report says Jays offered $50 million for 5 years to AJ Burnett. ;-D

Link

Fri, November 18, 2005
Blue Jays acting fast on Burnett?

By MIKE GANTER, TORONTO SUN

The Blue Jays appear to be making a pre-emptive strike in a bid to land free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett.

Sources told The Toronto Sun yesterday that the Jays have offered a five-year, $50-million US contract to the 28-year-old right-hander.

Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, would neither confirm nor deny that the Jays made an offer.

"What I will say is we have in hand two significant offers, but are still in the process of gathering information from all the interested parties," Braunecker said, adding that at no point in the negotiation process would he get into details of any offer he has received with the media.

"That will be up to the team involved -- whether or not they want to reveal that information," he said.

Braunecker said the number of interested teams in his client is down to nine teams including the Jays.

Originally, he had hoped to have all his information gathering completed by the American Thanksgiving (next Thursday) but has pushed that back to some point the following week.

"I don't think that (first deadline) is going to be possible any more," he said.

"We have talked with a few teams in the past few days. But with their schedules and our schedule, it's just not possible."

The five-year term of the offer is long for pitching contracts by today's standards, but it might be what it takes to get Burnett in a Jays uniform.

Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi is on record as saying he would like to get any free-agent deals done as soon as possible to allow him to concentrate on trades during the winter meetings from Dec. 5-8 in Dallas.

With the Florida Marlins last year, Burnett was 12-12 with a 3.44 ERA in 32 starts. He finished seventh in the National League in strikeouts with 198 in 209 innings.

Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg worked with Burnett when the two were in the Florida organization and they developed a strong bond that continued even after the latter was fired.

Other teams that are believed to be among the nine still in the hunt for Burnett are Baltimore, Texas, Seattle, Washington, Boston and St. Louis.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Re: Friday Morning rumors.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:57 pm

wrveres wrote:Orioles interested in Delgado
Marlins first baseman Carlos Delgado could replace Rafael Palmeiro in Baltimore if Orioles officials — currently divided over the idea — agree to give up a top pitching prospect, a baseball source said Thursday. The Marlins and Orioles have not yet discussed a trade, but Baltimore's front office has talked about it since at least the general managers' meetings in California last week. "Baltimore is seriously debating whether to get Delgado, but they are split over whether to pursue it,'' said the source, who was briefed on Baltimore's strategies

Which team are the Orioles going to steal that top pitching prospect from?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Half Massed » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 pm

Anyone know anything about Jojima? I heard he was a solid hitter, something like a career .295 hitter, but I know little else about him.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers