After 24 rounds.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

After 24 rounds....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

After 24 rounds....

Postby sisyphus » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:48 am

What do you think? I know...a little long in the tooth, but the old guys were taken later than you would find in a redraft. Just trying to follow the "win now" theory. I also have the 2nd pick in a minor league draft. Suggestions? Still some good value out there, especially in terms of RP. Some good young bats as well.
Dynasty, 6x6, H2H, (w/OBP&Hlds.) Any comments are appreciated, as always. By the way, ended up with both Shelton and Kotchman (from an earlier post.)

Position Players:

C:
1B: Richie Sexson, SEA
2B: Placido Polanco, DET
3B: Eric Chavez, OAK
SS: Miguel Tejada, BAL
IF: Julio Lugo, TB
LF: Hideki Matsui, NYY
CF: Carl Crawford, TB
RF: Brian Giles, SD
OF: Barry Bonds, SF
UT: Jermaine Dye, CHW
BN: Casey Kotchman, (1B) LAA
BN: Bobby Crosby, (SS) OAK
BN: Chris Shelton, (1B) DET
BN: Edwin Encarnacion, (3B) CIN

Pitching Staff:

SP: Randy Johnson, NYY
SP: Felix Hernandez, SEA
SP: Jeremy Bonderman, DET
SP: John Smoltz, ATL
RP: Chad Cordero, WAS
RP: Jose Valverde, ARI
RP: Mike MacDougal, KC
P: Brandon McCarthy, CHW
P: Curt Schilling, BOS
P: Daniel Cabrera, BAL
Last edited by sisyphus on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joe112 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:45 pm

For your minor league pick take BRANDON WOOD. do not look anywere else.
joe112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby sisyphus » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:56 pm

thanks for the response. i have been considering hermida with that pick. wood is definetly intriguing though. i'll have to take a closer look. any other impressions about the major league roster?
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:23 pm

How many teams in the league? Who's your catcher?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby sisyphus » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:16 pm

12 teams. haven't gotten around catcher yet. among the catchers available include kendall, b. molina.
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:09 pm

Hermida would be a good choice for your minor league pick if he's available. I don't know a whole lot about Wood, but Hermida is top-notch, and he'll probably put up numbers right away to boot.

Your hitting is pretty good if everyone's healthy, especially it being an OBP league. I'm not a big fan of some of your infielders, notably Polanco, Crosby and Lugo. Lugo is decent, but not that great, especially for utility. Crosby is all right, but in a general infield position, I'd rather have a corner infielder with a better bat. Polanco had a nice year, but if he slumps, he could be reduced to utility fairly quickly.

Your pitching is a little scary. There are no guarantees at all with Unit and Schilling, and Smoltz is no spring chicken. If they all stay healthy and produce, you'll have a nice rotation. If not, it could get a bit thin. I'm not a huge fan of your relief corps either. Cordero is due for a drop in production and the others are far from sure. Just a little too much risk and not enough upside for my tastes, but then again I could just be a worrywart.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GoatCurse03 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:21 pm

Good move holding back at C. I, for one, like your rotation. A good mix of excellent veterans, slightly seasoned and up-n-comers. Valverde is a good swing pick--could get either saves or holds, or both.

No, you don't have the best 2B, but who will? SS is very good, Your CI and OF are very good. YOu have not indicated how many teams, so it's tough to say how you will shape up, but I like your chances in a 10 team league, which is probably what you're in. Anything larger and it looks that much better.
GoatCurse03
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby sisyphus » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm in a 12 team dynasty league. H2H. I feel like I'm taking some risk with those older starters, but believe a couple of them will pan out well. Not what they used to be maybe, but still better than most. I was able to get them much later than in a redraft situation. I wasn't really targeting them, but they were available late and I just couldn't pass them up. I decided to hold off on C and 2b. I'm sure Polanco will finish in the middle of the pack for 2B, and I can get a serviceable catcher somewhere along the way. I'm looking at Hermida with the 2nd pick in the minor league draft and will alternate him into the mix at UT and RF. If Bonds and some of those older pitchers work out I should be looking pretty good. Any ideas about tradeable players on the roster for upgrades elsewhere?
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:33 am

You really don't have that many chips to trade as I see it. Most of your players are fairly underrated or are buy-low candidates, which is certainly a better position to be in than having a team full of overrated players. It may sound crazy, but I think you should deal Crawford. He's very valuable in roto leagues, but somewhat less valuable in H2H and even less so in a league with OPS. Find an owner that will overpay for him and pick up a speedy hitter plus an upgrade somewhere else.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team