St Louis interested in Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

St Louis interested in Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:23 am

Teams are crazy. Who would throw 5 years/50 mil at him. Thrown 180 innings twice. Career era+ only 110.

Career era and whip splits

Home 3.20 1.18
Road 4.26 1.38

Anyone see any problem coming? He probably has more talent, but Park, Valdes, Pavano have shown splits count.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:05 am

RugbyD wrote:any opinions on whether or not Burnett and Giles will be mutually exclusive options for the Cards? (ie, one or the other but not both)

its looking like its one or the other. the cards are currently working on signing aj and dotel, the probably trading marquis for an outfielder and going with so taguch/john rodriguez or whatever else they can find for the other corner.

Of prime importance to the Cardinals is clearly pitching. The Cardinals have told the agent for outfielder Brian Giles, a player of great interest to fill a vacancy, that they are now focused on pitching. It's possible the Cardinals will land a starter and then, for example, use arbitration-eligible Jason Marquis in a swap for an outfielder, or sign an outfielder and need Marquis. Or countless other variations. It's a row of transaction dominoes, one affecting another, and the Cardinals are only setting things up now.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:09 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
RugbyD wrote:any opinions on whether or not Burnett and Giles will be mutually exclusive options for the Cards? (ie, one or the other but not both)

its looking like its one or the other. the cards are currently working on signing aj and dotel, the probably trading marquis for an outfielder and going with so taguch/john rodriguez or whatever else they can find for the other corner.

Of prime importance to the Cardinals is clearly pitching. The Cardinals have told the agent for outfielder Brian Giles, a player of great interest to fill a vacancy, that they are now focused on pitching. It's possible the Cardinals will land a starter and then, for example, use arbitration-eligible Jason Marquis in a swap for an outfielder, or sign an outfielder and need Marquis. Or countless other variations. It's a row of transaction dominoes, one affecting another, and the Cardinals are only setting things up now.

While I think that So/J-Rod are a capable platoon squad, I also think that having one of them out there everyday hurts our bench depth. Still, I'm for anything that gets Marquis out of town.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 pm

JTWood wrote:While I think that So/J-Rod are a capable platoon squad, I also think that having one of them out there everyday hurts our bench depth. Still, I'm for anything that gets Marquis out of town.

Ditto on both of those. A platoon of So/Rodriguez wouldn't be the end of the world, but they were two of the most productive pinch hitters last season, and if Luna is forced into a full time role at either SS or 2B (probably unlikely), then bench is another area they'll need to concentrate on. I'd much rather see them get Dotel + Giles and let someone else overpay for Burnett while holding onto Marquis and try to deal him at the deadline next season for some of the OF who will be FA in '06.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:53 pm

RynMan wrote:
slomo007 wrote:It looks like the bidding on Burnett is going to get completely out of hand. 50/5 is the opening offer? 8-o

Who would spend 50 mil on a guy with a scar on his elbow and complaints about his shoulder? Screams bad signing to me.

The Jays. :-o

I'd love to see him come to Toronto and play with us, but I agree too that 50/5 is a lot. I understand that they need to start the bidding high, but wow. However, I don't believe we've seen the most for Mr. Burnett. I have a feeling another team is going to pay more.

Guess we'll just have to stay tuned.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:54 pm

I was thinking more about Burnett this afternoon.

Why would we want to trade one over-talented, underachieving, headcase .500 pitcher for another who could cost 3-4 times as much?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby stevethumb » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:04 pm

i thank that arkansas boy would look real 'purty' in a redbirds uni..wasn't dizzy dean from arkansas ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers