St Louis interested in Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

St Louis interested in Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm

I think, for Reyes' sake, the Cards should trade him. Duncan has still never been able to turn a young pitcher with potential into a star. They should trade away Reyes before they wreck him.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:21 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i could live with hector luna if burnett, giles, and dotel are signed :-)

Luna would play SS, right, since he has the better arm.

And, yes, if we can get those three, I'll take Luna on the infield for the win.

O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:23 pm

mak1277 wrote:I think, for Reyes' sake, the Cards should trade him. Duncan has still never been able to turn a young pitcher with potential into a star. They should trade away Reyes before they wreck him.

No chance in the hot place. They were doing just fine with Ankiel until they started him in Game One of the playoffs, and you can't give them 100% of the blame them for that one. You simply cannot tell how a guy will respond to pressure until you put him there. No one could have seen Ankiel's mental collapse coming.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:43 pm

duncan doesnt really have a history of developing young pitchers, but thats not entirely his fault. he hasnt really had too many to work with. most cards pitching prospects (and there werent many to begin with) flamed out long before they got to the big league club. morris and benes were both injured early, and while by today's standards it might be said they were overworked, in the context of when they came up they got a fairly standard amount of innings. reyes is fairly polished. he needs people to watch his pitch counts more than he needs someone telling him what to do, and i hope tony has enough sense to do that this time around.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:52 pm

Word on the street is that the Jays just tendered a 5yr $50M offer on this guy.

A little steep if you ask me, but FA pitchers are going to be very expensive this year.

LINK

I still think that Burnett will land in Baltimore.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:05 pm

It looks like the bidding on Burnett is going to get completely out of hand. 50/5 is the opening offer? 8-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:43 pm

slomo007 wrote:It looks like the bidding on Burnett is going to get completely out of hand. 50/5 is the opening offer? 8-o

Holy crap. 8-o STL needs a lot of other things before they need to drop mondy like that on a 2nd or even 3rd (if Mulder bounces back strong) SP. I'd rather they land Giles, Dotel, and maybe another OF before they give a guy like Burnett that kind of money. :-t
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RynMan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:49 pm

slomo007 wrote:It looks like the bidding on Burnett is going to get completely out of hand. 50/5 is the opening offer? 8-o

Who would spend 50 mil on a guy with a scar on his elbow and complaints about his shoulder? Screams bad signing to me.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:50 pm

well, don't be surprised if giles garners that kind of consideration this offseason as well. probably not over 5 years, but 3-4yrs at $10-12M per is where i imagine he'll fall, especially considering the numbers matsui got.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:52 pm

RynMan wrote:

Who would spend 50 mil on a guy with a scar on his elbow and complaints about his shoulder? Screams bad signing to me.

I agree. I'd stay away, especially if I'm an AL team. These NL pitchers moving to the AL have gotten rocked lately. I would not dump that type of money and those years on a guy like Burnett who is, for the most part, unproven.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers