The importance of your "gut" in poker... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The importance of your "gut" in poker...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The importance of your "gut" in poker...

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Now, I think your gut is really important. A "sixth sense" as some have called it. I played this hand earlier, and lost about 15 bucks on it, though I don't know if I could have played it any differently even though my gut told me to get away from it.

Twenty-five dollar buy in PL Hold Em. The entire table has limped in, and I am looking at JJ as the final player to act. I push it to the pot limit, around two dollars, looking to thin the field quite a bit. It works, 3 of us see a flop.

Flop comes down AAJ. I flopped the full house. First guy to act bets minimum, begging for a call. Next guy calls, as do I. Turn is a 10. First guy bets real low again, next guy calls, I raise. I'm essentially then put all in by the first guy, the guy in the middle instantly folds and I'm left with a decision....call or fold?

How do I fold Jacks full here? I really felt like he had AJ, but I couldn't get myself to release it. So I call, lose most of my stack (he has less than I do) when he flips up AJ like I figured. So could anyone release Jacks full in that situation?

As I type this, I just got my KK cracked. Back to bad beat land... :-[
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:50 pm

Now THAT's a bad beat, losing with Jacks full. But not much you could do about that one. You were destined to lose that hand apparently. When the 10 hit I would have assumed the guy had made a straight, so you were lookin' pretty good. Don't beat yourself up over this one.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby JTWood » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Bad luck, man. I don't think you should dwell too much on that one. You'll be paranoid if you do.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Irish » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:54 pm

Same type hand that guy lost with during the FIRST HAND of the world series of poker against Farha this year.

He had pocket 10's, Farha had A 10, flop came A A 10.

The only reason to ever fold that is when you are positive the guy has it and it would knock you out of the tourney if you called.

Other then that, it's almost impossible to lay it down.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:46 pm

yeah, you had 2nd best hand off the flop. It would be impossible to lay down with the # of different hands he could have had (trip A with K kicker, straight etc.)
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:52 pm

bigken117 wrote:yeah, you had 2nd best hand off the flop. It would be impossible to lay down with the # of different hands he could have had (trip A with K kicker, straight etc.)

Yeah, I had no outs once that flop hit. But I had no way to lay it down, either. Crazy game! !+)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:03 pm

daullaz wrote:Now THAT's a bad beat, losing with Jacks full. But not much you could do about that one. You were destined to lose that hand apparently. When the 10 hit I would have assumed the guy had made a straight, so you were lookin' pretty good. Don't beat yourself up over this one.

Not a bad beat. He actually got beat by a better hand. I try to limit my gut calls in games personally because I don't have that stu unger, johnny chan, doyle bronson skill. I try to base my hands on pot odds and what not. That was just a tough hand and you have to keep playing.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daullaz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:06 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
daullaz wrote:Now THAT's a bad beat, losing with Jacks full. But not much you could do about that one. You were destined to lose that hand apparently. When the 10 hit I would have assumed the guy had made a straight, so you were lookin' pretty good. Don't beat yourself up over this one.

Not a bad beat. He actually got beat by a better hand. I try to limit my gut calls in games personally because I don't have that stu unger, johnny chan, doyle bronson skill. I try to base my hands on pot odds and what not. That was just a tough hand and you have to keep playing.

Still what I call a bad beat. He was behind, but he had the second nuts. Sorry if my terminology bothered you.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:07 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:

I see what you're saying, but thinka bout it...you always get beat by better hands. ;-) Preflop I'm 70/30 to win, and while it might not be a traditional "bad beat" as the term is generally used, it is definitely a bad way to get beat.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:28 pm

That's an impossible hand to lay down, especially playing online. With only two possible hands better than yours after the flop you practically have to make that call.

I only use my gut in live games if I think I've got a read on someone. Online I only use my gut as a beer receptacle.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk