Wow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:05 am

George_Foreman wrote:umm... yeah. those are the same numbers i used:
originally, he gets $17M this year, $15M next year, and $15M in 2008 (assuming he makes the vesting options). total: $47M over 3 years

the "option years" are vesting options, meaning it's not a decision the team makes but rather some benchmark he's got to reach statistically. the vesting option is for 2007 is just for 450 ABs which will definitely happen if he doesn't get injured (although i'll grant that injuries havn't been uncommon for him recently). either way, he should be able to manage to 450 ABs with little difficulty, IMO. at best, he's gotten him self a slightly less risky (for him) as well as longer deal for a somewhat large price cut.

either way, i'm glad it happened and i hope there arent' any problems with the union. ;-D

I see what you are saying .. ;-D
The recent injuries may have played alot into this. So now those years are guaranteed and that is looked at as a plus by the MLBPA, I believe
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Yeah, he IS taking a paycut, but he's getting more gauranteed money through vesting years, so that's why the MLBPA won't interfere.

And Foreman, are you insane? Andruw's contract is a bargain in today's market with outrageous contracts like Beltran's. 13 Mil. for a guy who just hit 50 jacks and GG calibur CF is not bad at all.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:04 pm

brandnew wrote:Yeah, he IS taking a paycut, but he's getting more gauranteed money through vesting years, so that's why the MLBPA won't interfere.

And Foreman, are you insane? Andruw's contract is a bargain in today's market with outrageous contracts like Beltran's. 13 Mil. for a guy who just hit 50 jacks and GG calibur CF is not bad at all.

hmm. perhaps i'm mistaken. what are the terms of the deal? i thought it was even more lucrative than chipper's.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:38 am

Trot Nixon wrote:Dear Manny....

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby IVIisfits138 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:48 am

Can Larry afford this with the child support he has to pay to all his illegitimate children?
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:18 am

Regardless of wether Chipper makes more/less/even money long run, it's helping the Braves out now. Which is rare for players to do. And you also don't see players these days start and finish with the same teams anymore because money is all that matters to most people. Chipper will retire a Brave and I'm happy to see that. Braves for the most part try to stay loyal to the players they bring along. Smoltz, Chipper, Andruw- although trade rumors fly around him alot- Furcal- Looks like it will be possible to sign him now with the extra $$. I like loyalty in players and teams. Braves seem to be one of the best at trying to retain their stars so long as the players are reasonable in return. It's not like the Braves have unlimited spending and can just pay out the wazoo every time a stud's contract is up. Good job Chipper, Braves. Furcal take note and comeback!! :-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers