Mike Cameron Traded To... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Cameron Traded To...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:52 pm

DK wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Congrats...Heilman put up decent numbers in one season. Nady, when given a job, tears the cover off the ball.

Heilman had a career losing record in the minors with an ERA over 3.50 and a WHIP over 1.30. Nady hit .330 with a 1.020 OPS the last time he was in the minors.

If one year of relieving makes you better then Jeremy Fikac is a Hall-of-Famer.

"Tears the cover off the ball" is one heck of an overstatement. Nady's a career .263 hitter in the majors who's never hit more than 13 home runs in a season. That .330 mark was last year in AAA in 74 games. Hardly a "track record". Might I add in 34 games in the majors that same year he struggled mightily, hitting .247 with an OPS of .717.

If you want to cherry-pick stats that aren't from the majors

And you're talking about cherry-picking stats? Those '34 games' in the majors were 77 at bats.

I believe my statement was "when given a job". Nady has never had a long stint of consecutive playing time in the majors. And the last time Nady had regular time he hit .330 with an OPS of 1.020.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:00 pm

Both were fairly highly touted prospects, who never really amounted to anything in the majors. Right now, both are average to below average spare parts.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby DK » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:26 pm

And you're talking about cherry-picking stats? Those '34 games' in the majors were 77 at bats.

... What difference does this make? Time in the majors is infinitely more important than time in the minors.

davidmarver wrote:I believe my statement was "when given a job". Nady has never had a long stint of consecutive playing time in the majors. And the last time Nady had regular time he hit .330 with an OPS of 1.020.

You know, you're right. You'd have to be hard-pressed to find a stint of consecutive playing time in the majors. You'd have to think all the way back to this year, where he played at least 16 games every month. He wasn't shuffling between the minors and the majors, he was consistently in the majors with the Padres.

In the three months where Nady played the most games (and therefore has the most chance to get into a groove, since he has a job) he had an OPS of .817, .732, and .666. Doesn't scream great to me.

Nady hit .330 with an OPS of 1.020 in 74 games in AAA. This alone makes his accomplishments worth much less than you're pretending for them to be. To compare, in the same league in the same season Joe Dillon had a 1.065 OPS in 108 games. This year, in 98 games, Dillon had a 1.090 OPS in 98 games.

In the majors in 36 at-bats (a small sample size) Dillon has OPS'd .489.

Andy Tracy, same deal. In 2004 in the PCL he OPS'd 1.022, in 463 at-bats in the majors he's OPS'd .720.

Being a great hitter in the PCL does not make you a great hitter in the majors.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:04 pm

George_Foreman wrote:well, the marlins were hoping to get a new stadium (theoretically incrasing revenue...), but that doesn't exactly look like it's happening, so they're trying to dump payroll.

either way, if they manage to dump him and not have to cover any of the remaining salary, they will have effectively rented an elite player for a year at $4 million and gotten two prospects in return. sounds like a good deal to me. ;-D
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. But chances are they will have to cover some of Delgado's salary
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:19 pm

8 pages on a Padres trade?

hmm ... Let me guess, its 7 pages of east coast homers speculating what the Mets are going to do next
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1146)

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:20 pm

wrveres wrote:8 pages on a Padres trade?

hmm ... Let me guess, its 7 pages of east coast homers speculating what the Mets are going to do next

and of course the usual snide remarks by a jealous padres fan.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:23 pm

dyuen87 wrote:

and of course the usual snide remarks by a jealous padres fan.

Jealous that my team doesn't have 200 million to throw around on players .... Yeah probably.

I'm all for a salary cap. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1146)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:26 pm

Aint life grand?? ;-) B-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Nady is better than most of you think

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:25 pm

I believe Nady if given a will produce - suprisingly well. He is also only 27 years, he is has good power and just needs a chance. As for Cameron - I think he is a great guy (Everyone loves Cammy) - great clubhouse guy!!! .. But as a player he K's 175 times a year, he will only hit 255 if that much. Cammy has already hit his ceiling, Nady has yet to be given the chance to hit his. ... I will miss you Cammy - good luck !!!
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:25 pm

It doesn't really make sense to have Nady on the roster when you have Diaz in the outfield, and the potential of a guy like Delgado coming in, suggesting he will be part of such a deal. Any chance Jacobs is involved in a deal for someone like Delgado?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers