Mike Pelfry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Mike Pelfry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Doesn't Rirruto go to Bing? Maybe he can go and give us a first hand account. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:35 am

Pelfrey pitches his first AA game on Saturday. The B-Mets stream the games (audio) online free.

http://www.bmets.com/gamecast.asp
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:19 pm

A good friend of mine lives down the block from the stadium and is finishing up his Master's at Bing. Maybe I should have him go to the game and scout for us. Or maybe I should just drive up. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm

This first start, and apparently the second too, will be on the road. :-t
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Amazinz wrote:This first start, and apparently the second too, will be on the road. :-t

Thanks for saving me a 200 mile trip! :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:10 am

Pelfrey gets a no-decision in his first AA start.

IP 5.2 K 8 ER 0 ;-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Less than stellar in his 2nd start. 5 ER in 4 IP.

Box Score
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 am

Pelfry starts tonight at Bing. :-B

Mets brass will closely monitor 2005 first-round pick Mike Pelfrey when he takes the mound tonight at Double-A Binghamton. While team officials don't want to rush Pelfrey, an insider suggested team brass will seriously consider promoting him if he has a positive outing.

Daily News
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 pm

IP 7 ER 2 H 7 BB 2 SO 10
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am

NY Daily News wrote:The Mets may be hesitant to bring up Mike Pelfrey, the jewel of their farm system, but the 22-year-old righthander may force their hand after another impressive outing for Double-A Binghamton last night.

Overpowering at times and poised beyond his years, Pelfrey struck out six of the first 11 batters he faced along the way to a 10-strikeout night in a no-decision against the Connecticut Defenders. He allowed seven hits and two earned runs over seven innings with two walks - one intentional - and one hit batsman in an 8-3 B-Mets win.

With Victor Zambrano out for the season, and rookies Brian Bannister and John Maine on the disabled list, a move to Queens may be in Pelfrey's near future, even though the Mets say they don't want to rush their phenom. "That's not up to me," Pelfrey said after his outing last night.

What was most impressive, and a good indication of his maturity as a pitcher, was Pelfrey's command of the strike zone and poise late in the game, when he escaped a seventh-inning jam with minimal damage. Mixing an effortless fastball that touched 95 mph frequently - and topped out at 96 - with an effective changeup, Pelfrey threw 89 pitches and consistently was able to stay ahead in counts.

"I'd give myself a B," he said. "I made a few mistakes, left a few pitches over the middle of the plate, and my breaking ball ... sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't. But I showed (the Mets) some stuff tonight. I located some good fastballs and breaking balls. You could see flashes of what I can do."

Mets director of minor league operations Adam Wogan was in the building to see those flashes for himself. He wouldn't say if there was anything in the works to move Pelfrey to Triple-A, or Shea. Wogan did praise Pelfrey for his command and confidence in pitching inside.

"We just want to prepare him for right now (in Double-A). That is the focus," Wogan said.

Does Pelfrey think he's ready for the majors?

"You ask anybody in this clubhouse, they're not going to tell you they wouldn't want to be in the big leagues," Pelfrey said, grinning. "I'd be lying if I told you I didn't."

The 6-7 pitcher out of Wichita State, who received a Mets-record $3.55 million signing bonus to go along with a four-year, $5.25 million contract in January, was making his third start since being promoted to Binghamton, and his first at home. He impressed in his first start, holding the Erie Seawolves scoreless over 5-2/3 innings, giving up just three hits while striking out nine.

But he struggled in his next outing in Akron, surrendering 13 hits and five earned runs in just five innings. He turned that around last night. "This is what we saw in his first start in Erie," said B-Mets pitching coach Mark Brewer. "This is what he's capable of."

Brewer says Pelfrey needs to continue to work batters inside and throw more changeups, but that all of his pitches (fastball, curve, changeup) are major-league ready and his fluid delivery is nearly flawless.

Laying on the hyperbole, Brewer said Pelfrey "resembles a Don Drysdale or a righthanded Randy Johnson with better command. He has power and the demeanor of a three-to-four year veteran and the aptitude to match."

Daily News
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to New York Mets