Ichiro Unhappy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ichiro Unhappy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:58 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:If I need to explain the subtleties of risking injury to yourself, running up the score on opponents/showing up the opposition needlessly, and the otherwise extremely dubious value of stealing 3b in a number of instances, well then.

He was obviously playing for personal glory...period. His team won 116 games and was headed to the playoffs long befor etaht game. The game was totally meaningless...and if he got hurt trying to swipe a base for personal glory, all the M's fans would have been all over him like a like a worker preparng a bad cafe latte. It is OK apparently to be selfish as long as it goes unnoticed, causes no damage and otherwie builds up the Suzuki hype-machine. It does not go unnoticed by everyone. Suzuki has a fair streak of self-indulgent selfishness in him. To claim he is some altruistic team player is perposterous.

So you have micromanaged Ichiro into being a selfish ballplayer in one reality. Care to list more than one miniscule occurrence that might possibly be argued as selfish behavior?

Ichiro is a competitor who goes for the gold every time. You can't turn that off otherwise you risking a lot more. It's not like he slid head first in to home and has he ever been injured from such activity before?

You can't go around being to scared to live life and play the game. So you can spin this one event into selfish behavior, but even with the spin factor this would be positive selfish behavior versus not going out and stealing bases for your team because you are afraid of getting hurt and/or don't want to try hard.

Anyway, this has more to do with being a clubhouse leader, hard worker and giving your best to the City in which your reside.

EDIT- I bet you a dollar Piniella sent Ichiro every time.
Last edited by nuggets on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:00 pm

blankman wrote:
carter wrote:
blankman wrote:
carter wrote:sounds like the M's need to fire Hargrove .. fire his ass, and let Ichiro hand-pick the new guy.. he's a franchise player and one of the best AVG hitters in history, and most importantly, the M's need to shake things up badly- they're on a long, slow, painful slide down the mountain .. and do it for the kids (Felix, Reed, Soriano, Yuhency, Lopez)

And yet another occurance of how overrated Ichiro is.

Among the best AVG hitters in history?
He ranked 23rd in AVG this season alone.

all depends how you look at it.. this year was by far his worst season avg-wise and he hit .303... in 5 mlb seasons, he's hit over .350 twice .. .372 came in 04,.,. when is the last time you've seen a batting average that high?... at the least, he's one of the best average hitters of our era

5 seasons is hardly enough for me to call him that, especially when his worst season was his most recent.

You have to recognize how good he was before he came here as well.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nikku88 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:19 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:If I need to explain the subtleties of risking injury to yourself, running up the score on opponents/showing up the opposition needlessly, and the otherwise extremely dubious value of stealing 3b in a number of instances, well then.

He was obviously playing for personal glory...period. His team won 116 games and was headed to the playoffs long befor etaht game. The game was totally meaningless...and if he got hurt trying to swipe a base for personal glory, all the M's fans would have been all over him like a like a worker preparng a bad cafe latte. It is OK apparently to be selfish as long as it goes unnoticed, causes no damage and otherwie builds up the Suzuki hype-machine. It does not go unnoticed by everyone. Suzuki has a fair streak of self-indulgent selfishness in him. To claim he is some altruistic team player is perposterous.

How many career steals does Ichiro have? Is it really that much a risk for his to steal? Maybe he should have stayed in bed all day.
Were the M's up by a lot when he stole all those bases? I'm confused why trying to play good baseball is considered selfish.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:36 pm

nuggets wrote:You gotta be joking. Ichiro is the farthest thing from a Griffey. He is a man of unselfish pride and respect who has as much honor as any professional athlete ever .

Don't let the NY papers start up some BS about Ichiro "whining" about not being happy. That is the wrong angle to take on it, a total "spin" on reality.

This is true. He is a class guy, That's why his interview with the Japanese Paper surprised me. Instead of complaining back home, he should have spoke up at player's only meetings, if he had a beef. The guy is loved here.

Yanks04, i checked Ichiro's history. He's never had a 5 sb game, and only one 4 sb game back in July 04. In 01, he had two 3 sb games. You could argue his 3 sb game 9-26-01 was probably not wise, considering Seattle had 108 wins at the time.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pedantic » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:37 pm

I think this is the game Yanks04 is talking about. That tied his season high for steals in a game. His second steal of the game and the subsequent double steal keyed a five-run fifth. Had he not stolen those bases, the Mariners may not have scored five runs in that inning and they very well may have lost that game and may not have won 116 games.

I'm not saying Ichiro is an angel. He's a Mariner. !+) What I am saying is that none of us knows his motives and as such, we shouldn't draw unsubstantiated conclusions like "Ichiro is a Japanese Barry Bonds" simply because Ichiro doens't like losing (gasp!) and he's stolen a few bases.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers