Current Event: Teen Kills GF's Parents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Current Event: Teen Kills GF's Parents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby logan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:36 pm

JTWood wrote:
logan wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:I'm actually a little tired of people saying religion, environmental influences, etc. are the reasons for some of these violent crimes. I think some people need to own up to the fact that sometimes people just snap when they don't get their way.

You hit the nail on the head. Sometimes people just snap... everyone's always so quick to point the finger.

this is becasue we as a society don't want to believe that it's something that we are doing or not doing. it's easier to shift balme then to lay it on those who deserve it.

But aren't you shifting blame when you don't put it squarely on the criminal perpetrator(s)?

perhaps i should have worded that differently. that's what i was trying to get at.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:49 pm

logan wrote:perhaps i should have worded that differently. that's what i was trying to get at.

Ah. You meant to say that people in our society like to shift blame away from them.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:57 pm

JTWood wrote:
logan wrote:perhaps i should have worded that differently. that's what i was trying to get at.

Ah. You meant to say that people in our society like to shift blame away from them.

;-D

yep yep
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 pm

JTWood wrote:
logan wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:I'm actually a little tired of people saying religion, environmental influences, etc. are the reasons for some of these violent crimes. I think some people need to own up to the fact that sometimes people just snap when they don't get their way.

You hit the nail on the head. Sometimes people just snap... everyone's always so quick to point the finger.

this is becasue we as a society don't want to believe that it's something that we are doing or not doing. it's easier to shift balme then to lay it on those who deserve it.

But aren't you shifting blame when you don't put it squarely on the criminal perpetrator(s)?

I guess I have a different definintion for "shifting" but isn't that where the blame ultimately belongs? :-? "Shifting the blame" IMO has more of a scapegoat type connotation than placing blame (or whatever it is we're talking about) with the party that is ultimately responsible.

Man, you guys get me all worked up in the X-Box thread and I just can't help myself. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Half Massed » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:48 pm

This is terrible, and, as has been said, people will undoubtably look to their interests and influences, etc. to find reasons. That is way overblown, some people are just naturally dispositioned towards violent action regardless of their interests or style. It's about state of mind. Maybe a goth kid is more often in the state of mind needed to premeditate a murder, but that doesn't mean they're more likely to go through with it. It's the individual who is predispositioned to actually act and carry through with it in that state of mind, not the influences or styles of that person.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DaQ » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm

I just presented a project on the juvenile death penalty (got an A+ too ;-7 ), but I needed to know at least a little on the regular death penalty as well:

- Coppermine's prediction may be correct - this 18-year old guy may receive the death penalty. In the Supreme Court case Roper vs. Simmons (2005), it was decided a person under the age of 18 cannot receive the death penalty (I'm not getting into the reasons I presented, although they would back me up on my assumptions you will read...it would take forever). Anyway, this guy is 18 and can be subject to the death penalty. He committed a CAPITAL CRIME, and a possible punishment for that is the death penalty.

- As for the girl: If she was kidnapped, then chances are she won't get in any real trouble. However, if she was involved in the crime, then the worst that can happen to her is that she receives a prison sentence (probably not for life, but enough to keep her locked up for some while).

- Logan also brought up another possibility. If the court decides that the guy's decision was rash and not thought through, he can plea for temporary insanity. This attempt would be to save his life.

So if the girl was kidnapped, she can't get in trouble. If she was involved, she'll be in jail for at least 20-25 years before a parole hearing (one of my reasons why juveniles shouldn't receive the death penalty has to do with this). As for the guy - if this was a planned murder, he'll likely get the death penalty. If it was an impulse decision and it was a decision made at that moment, he should plea for temorary insanity.
Last edited by DaQ on Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Chris Rock wrote:What ever happened to Crazy?

I vote for the Death Penalty for this idiot! }:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:57 pm

Wow. That's an awful and odd story. :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:12 am

Madison wrote:

I immediately thought of that same Chris Rock quote when I read this. People seem to overlook that too often. There's not always something to place the blame on...sometimes people are just nuts.

I disagree about sentencing this kid, or anyone else, to death though.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:52 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:

I immediately thought of that same Chris Rock quote when I read this. People seem to overlook that too often. There's not always something to place the blame on...sometimes people are just nuts.

Glad to see we actually are on the same page with some things. :-D ;-D

Art Vandelay wrote:I disagree about sentencing this kid, or anyone else, to death though.

It's a combination of me not being a very forgiving person, along with eliminating idiots, and making them be responsible for their own actions. You murder someone? Time to fry. I fully support the death penalty in any form. Blindfold and a bullet is just as good as the chair, or lethal injection to me. Just the way I am though. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk