Who would won if Ali has fought Bruce Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Who would won if Ali has fought Bruce Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who would win?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:17 pm

Ali
37%
Lee
63%

Total votes : 35

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:16 pm

perlick29 wrote:Seems like Lee is a winner here. I did see the documentary that Bronxx was talking about. Also, if I'm not mistaken Lee was involved in gang activities back in his native china. The man's been a fighter all his life, not a hollywood punk. He's lethal. I'd take a martial artist over a boxer any day. ;-D

Jet Li and Jackie Chen still sucks :-t
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Never watched Ali, but heavy weight fighters are usually not very fast and exciting. With the notable exception in Tyson(who by the way have a better career record than Ali I think)

Punch, Punch, Hug, Punch, Hug, ref drag out, Hug.... :-t

Wow. Maybe you should watch some of Ali's fights on ESPN classic or rent some boxing DVDs or something...then you'll probably realize how ridiculously stupid this statement is.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:08 am

Amazinz wrote:Mixed martial artists are far superior to one-dimensional boxers. Look at what happens when boxers (one-dimensional fighters) enter mixed-martial arts competitions. Very few have lasted and the ones that have have done so because they expanded their arsenal to include a ground game. If you need a living example check out Hoyce Gracie who has absolutely demolished stand-up brawlers much, much larger than himself. A boxer can't do much damage from his ass. :-D

With that said I have no idea who would win, my guess would be Ali. I have never seen Bruce Lee fight professionally and I would probably compare him to Jet Li who openly admitted that he is an expert of the art form but would get his ass handed to him by a practicing MMA like Tito Ortiz.

I have to agree with you on this one. I really think that Lee's ability to kick and get Ali on the ground would give him an edge. I am a fan of UFC and other MMA fighting and boxers have a hard time with guys who can grapel and get you on the ground. If Lee has any type of submission ability Ali wouldn't know what hit him.

That being said if they went toe to toe and kept it standing ALi would probably be able to catch him with a punch for the KO. A no gloves Ali punch might take his head off.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:32 am

a boxer can knock you out w/one punch wearing 8 ounce gloves...i think ali's superior defensive skills and speed coupled w/a seventy pound weight advantage would win over a great martial arts technician
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:41 am

Minor League Skilz wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Mixed martial artists are far superior to one-dimensional boxers. Look at what happens when boxers (one-dimensional fighters) enter mixed-martial arts competitions. Very few have lasted and the ones that have have done so because they expanded their arsenal to include a ground game. If you need a living example check out Hoyce Gracie who has absolutely demolished stand-up brawlers much, much larger than himself. A boxer can't do much damage from his ass. :-D

With that said I have no idea who would win, my guess would be Ali. I have never seen Bruce Lee fight professionally and I would probably compare him to Jet Li who openly admitted that he is an expert of the art form but would get his ass handed to him by a practicing MMA like Tito Ortiz.

I have to agree with you on this one. I really think that Lee's ability to kick and get Ali on the ground would give him an edge. I am a fan of UFC and other MMA fighting and boxers have a hard time with guys who can grapel and get you on the ground. If Lee has any type of submission ability Ali wouldn't know what hit him.

That being said if they went toe to toe and kept it standing ALi would probably be able to catch him with a punch for the KO. A no gloves Ali punch might take his head off.

Arrrghhh....you guys Image

Comparing Muhammad Ali to a "stand up brawler" palooka that Gracie may have fought is an insult and Layla Ali should come down here and kick your ass for even suggesting it.

Lee's ability to kick and get Ali on the ground would give him an edge

Lee can or wants to get people on the ground? He's not a wrestler, he's a standup striker. Lee have never gotten anyone on the ground without buying them dinner first.

Also how is he supposed to get Ali on the ground? 5'7" 140 lbs is going to take 6'3" 200lbs to the ground? And Ali is going to stand there while this midget tries to take him down? Nahh I think that Ali starts smacking him on the top of the head.

Sure Lee can kick but he has to get close enough - Ali would tag him before Lee gets within spitting distance.

You are also forgetting that Ali has taken the best that the best 200+ lb strikers in the world have been able to dish out (George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Leon Spinks, Floyd Patterson, Archie Moore etc.) gone 12 rounds with some of them and beat them all. How many times do you think that your 140 lb midget would have to hit Ali before Ali even noticed him?

btw - who has Lee ever fought?

Put Ali up against a 200 lb MMA with some experience who has ground skills and then it is closer. Liddell or Arlovski maybe.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Liddell is too much of a striker he would lose to Ali in my opinion although I agree that either of the big Russians (Arlovski or Fedor) would beat Ali handily.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Alright Mookie you might be convincing me about Ali a little bit. I was assuming that Lee would have the ability to take Ali down and submit him but I was pulling that out of my ass. (they don't have an emotion for that!) Basically, I was saying that is the way he would have to beat Ali because he wouldn't be able to stand toe to toe.

I will happily accept a punch from Ali's daughter. !+)
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:11 pm

Lee developed his own form of Jujitsu so I am pretty sure he had a "ground game". :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:51 pm

Anyone who thinks Bruce Lee was just a movie fighter is dreaming. He was the real deal.

In a street fight, it would have been a lot closer than you think. The ONLY reason why I think Ali has the advantage is due to his reach. One of Bruce Lee's toughest opponents was Karim Abdul Jabar due to his superior reach. Lee couldn't touch him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Yoda wrote:Anyone who thinks Bruce Lee was just a movie fighter is dreaming. He was the real deal.

In a street fight, it would have been a lot closer than you think. The ONLY reason why I think Ali has the advantage is due to his reach. One of Bruce Lee's toughest opponents was Karim Abdul Jabar due to his superior reach. Lee couldn't touch him.

Like when Minute Bol fought the Fridge. Bol beat him down.

Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk