Cubs tell Nomar to explore other options - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs tell Nomar to explore other options

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedantic » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Sure, I'll explain. Do you remember the world series where the Marlins beat the yankees? Oh, my bad, the 1st time they beat the yankees, not the 2nd? Renteria's clutch hitting is what won the series for the Marlins, that last hit alone surpasses anything Eckstein has ever done. Oh, and accorrding to every fantasy league, Yahoo, espn, cbs, tsn Renteria outproformed Eckstein last year, granted not by a lot. So, in a god awful year, Renteria still was the superior player and has been unquestionably for their entire careers. Eckstein has never even batted over .300 while Renteria was a frickin MVP canidate in 2003!!! If you had to choose 1 or the other for your fantasy team, you'd have to pick Renteria. Now, I'm not saying that Renteria is worth the money they spend, but I'm willing to bet he has a much better year next year and even if he doesn't it'll still be better than any year Eck will havin barring injury. So how can you back this arugment up? Are you going to say that in real baseball Eckstein is better? Renteria has 2 gold gloves to Eckstein's none and gets to balls that are way beyond Eck's range and weak arm. So he had a bad year and Eck had a good one and Renteria still had better overall numbers. I put my money on Renteria to bounce back.

Anecdotal evidence is worthless. Come up with some numbers to back up your clutch argument or it's not even worth my time to rebut it.

Renteria's superior fantasy numbers are a product of the lineup and park he played in, not because he is a vastly superior hitter. Sure, he may "bounce back," but to what? 2004? Because the 2002-2003 Renteria is gone, whether or not you realize that. And those really were the only years in which he did something even remarkable as a hitter. I see no reason to believe that Renteria will significantly improve his level of play in the future.

Actually, I have been comparing the two in real life. How have you been comparing them? Fantasy-wise? Interesting, but fantasy numbers don't say a whole lot about their play as a whole. I won't get into defense, because your evidence is anecdotal at best once again (Are you going to argue that Jeter is the best defensive shortstop in the AL because he's won a Gold Glove or two?) and most defensive stats, with the possible exception of UZR, are flawed.

In real life, Eckstein has been, in my estimation, the superior hitter not only in this season, but in 2004 as well. I even said so in a post dated Apr. 11, 2005:

Pedantic wrote:It's OK, according to last year's numbers, Eckstein is an upgrade over Renteria offensively.

Eckstein boasts better on-base skills. Despite a career average six points lower than Renteria's, he possesses a career on-base percentage six points higher than Renteria's. Renteria has more power, but the difference is really quite minimal, as both are poor sluggers. Eckstein's control of the strike zone is far superior to Renteria's as well.

Eckstein is no giant-killer, but he deserves more respect than to simply be written off as a no-talent player. It's time to recognize that Eckstein is the better hitter and quite possibly the better player.

Edit: Oh, and "fighting against destiny"? Wow. You certainly are a fount of useful evidence. Well, I say Eckstein is a better hitter because he has the more powerful chakra!
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Pedantic wrote:Edit: Oh, and "fighting against destiny"? Wow. You certainly are a fount of useful evidence. Well, I say Eckstein is a better hitter because he has the more powerful chakra!

Kancho!
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Nuclear29 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Mana!
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:49 pm

Dear God, what have I started? :*)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous