Cubs tell Nomar to explore other options - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs tell Nomar to explore other options

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:01 pm

Havok1517 wrote:So says a fan of the team that overspends on all players whether they pan out or not. You may take Eckstein but George wouldn't! haha, this is fun. I'd say Renteria is by far a better player than Eckstein and always will be. So he has 1 down year on an team and in a town that is hard to play for. I 'd say the numbers and monumental clutch hitting backs up Renteria, nuff said. Funny stuff though.

What do the Yankees have to do with this? Does Eckstein, Renteria or Nomar play for the Yankees? Hmmm. :-?

Since when did I become the GM of the Yankees? I didn't know that I, as a fan, was responsible for overspending on players that don't pan out.

Eckstein outperformed Renteria and makes almost $7 million less. Monumental clutch hitting for Renteria? Would you like to explain?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Havok1517 wrote:That is fine, you pick Eckstein over Renteria or Nomar, I'll take the latter 2, thanks :-)

Did I say I'd take Eckstein over Nomar?

Havok1517 wrote:So says a fan of the team that overspends on all players whether they pan out or not. You may take Eckstein but George wouldn't! haha, this is fun. I'd say Renteria is by far a better player than Eckstein and always will be. So he has 1 down year on an team and in a town that is hard to play for. I 'd say the numbers and monumental clutch hitting backs up Renteria, nuff said. Funny stuff though.

The numbers? Let's see: Renteria posted a .276 average, .335 OBP and a .721 OPS. Eckstein posted a .294 average, .363 OBP and a .758 OPS. Despite Renteria's supposed superiority and with the aid of the Green Monster, he only managed a mere seven more extra base hits than Eckstein. Renteria posted a 0.55 BB/SO ratio. Eckstein posted a 1.318 BB/SO ratio. And the numbers favored whom?

And did I just see you say clutch hitting? I hope that was some really unfunny joke. Not even considering the merit (or lack thereof) of a clutch argument, you must be confusing Renteria with his beefier teammate, David Ortiz. Renteria hit .298 with RISP and .247 with RISP and two outs. Eckstein hit .373 with RISP and .431 with RISP and two outs. So, please, let's not talk about clutch.

Maybe you didn't notice, but Renteria didn't do a whole lot better in 2004 either. In fact, you could say that aside from a couple of years, he's been vastly overrated.

"'Nuff said"? Uh-huh.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 am

Sure, I'll explain. Do you remember the world series where the Marlins beat the yankees? Oh, my bad, the 1st time they beat the yankees, not the 2nd? Renteria's clutch hitting is what won the series for the Marlins, that last hit alone surpasses anything Eckstein has ever done. Oh, and accorrding to every fantasy league, Yahoo, espn, cbs, tsn Renteria outproformed Eckstein last year, granted not by a lot. So, in a god awful year, Renteria still was the superior player and has been unquestionably for their entire careers. Eckstein has never even batted over .300 while Renteria was a frickin MVP canidate in 2003!!! If you had to choose 1 or the other for your fantasy team, you'd have to pick Renteria. Now, I'm not saying that Renteria is worth the money they spend, but I'm willing to bet he has a much better year next year and even if he doesn't it'll still be better than any year Eck will havin barring injury. So how can you back this arugment up? Are you going to say that in real baseball Eckstein is better? Renteria has 2 gold gloves to Eckstein's none and gets to balls that are way beyond Eck's range and weak arm. So he had a bad year and Eck had a good one and Renteria still had better overall numbers. I put my money on Renteria to bounce back.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 am

Aside from that, isn't this supposed to be about Nomar? I still look for him to sign on with a NL team that either is a contender or is close to being 1.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BritSox » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:20 am

Havok1517 wrote:Sure, I'll explain. Do you remember the world series where the Marlins beat the yankees? Oh, my bad, the 1st time they beat the yankees, not the 2nd? .

They've only beaten the Yankees once. The first WS win was over the Tribe. If you're gonna get all sarcy on our rears, it might be an idea to check your facts.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:38 pm

my bad, late night post.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BritSox » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:43 pm

Havok1517 wrote:my bad, late night post.

No problem ;-D
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:56 pm

BritSox wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:my bad, late night post.

No problem ;-D

If the Yankees were really smart, they'd go for a trade to get Winston Churchill from the Red Sox. He'd bring an Iron Curtain to the Yankee's bullpen.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm

So Renteria got the game winning hit in Game 7, and now he's clutch? Maybe you forgot that he also made the last out of the 2004 World Series?

Edgar Renteria is not clutch.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:40 pm

Well, what was he supposed to do win the next 4 games with 1 swing? It wasn't really a clutch moment. The Cards and Yankees were fighting against destiny. This is supposed to be about Nomar anyways. Any thoughts on him?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers