Maddon new Devil Rays Manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddon new Devil Rays Manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddon new Devil Rays Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:02 pm

Don't really know much about him except that he came from the Angels. Anybody have an idea on what style of manager he is? Will he play the young kids and give them opportunities to steal?
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2222124
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:20 pm

It'll be interesting to see how this affects Crawford's value...

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:34 pm

Well the last time he was manager (interim) he went 19-12 late in '99. Since he's coming from an Angels organization that hasn't been afraid to run in recent years (most SB the last two seasons) I think he'll be bred to do the same, especially with what he's being given in Tampa.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:47 pm

i think maddon is a fine choice,,, even though we dont have alot to go by on how he will be as a manager,,,I will just have to hope that some of Scioscias managerial style has rubbed off on him, as mike seemed like the type of manager that gets the most out of his team... anyways definitely been a interesting offseason so far for my drays, now lets hope if they do move huff they get some quality pitching in return for him....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:28 pm

Who knows maybe ten years from now they will have to Change the name from MVP to Maddon. :-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Half Massed » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:36 pm

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but a Scioscia-type manager would be a good fit with the Rays. At least Schmidt didn't get it. :-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatferd » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:51 pm

He is going to be a very very good coach. He is a little more quiet than most managers, but he is very loyal to his players.

He is also very analytical and bases a lot of his decisions on matchups and situations. He will be very solid. I am sad to see him go, I think he had a lot to do with the Angel's success.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:23 pm

prodpaul wrote:Who knows maybe ten years from now they will have to Change the name from MVP to Maddon. :-D

Cute. :-b
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:18 pm

More on Maddon ..
MLB.com wrote:ST. PETERSBURG -- Joe Maddon is expected to be named the new manager of the Devil Rays Tuesday.
The job "is something I really want," said Maddon, 51, in a Friday interview, noting he was a good fit for the position given the skills he has which he feels are compatible with the Rays' needs.

Maddon, who was the Angels bench coach from 1996 to 2005, is a former Minor League catcher who has been in the Angels organization for 28 years. He has been a Major League coach for the past 12 seasons and was a serious candidate for the Red Sox job before Terry Francona was hired in 2003. Among Maddon's strong suits are his organizational skills and acumen crunching baseball data via the computer.

Maddon liked the idea of managing a young, developing team and working for new principal owner Stuart Sternberg and the club's unique management team.

Before his first interview, Maddon said he received a 47-page email expounding on Sternberg's philosophies for turning around the Rays' situation and came away quite impressed.

Maddon demonstrated extensive knowledge about the Rays heading into the interview process. Off the top of his head, he recited how the Rays had played better against teams from the American League West, held their own against the American League East -- noting the team had done well against the Yankees and lost some tough ones to the Red Sox -- and he summed up some of the team's strengths and weaknesses.

"Athletically [the Rays are] among the best in the American League," said Maddon, who called the team an "interesting group of talent."

He called the team a little "heavy" in the outfield and touted the skills of shortstop Julio Lugo and Jorge Cantu before noting that he felt Toby Hall could be a front-line catcher. He said the team's pitching and defense needs to be "shored up."

Maddon believes strong teams have four pitchers in the bullpen that a team can turn over its fortunes to when leading or being tied in the latter innings of a game.

"You can sustain a winning streak that way," he said.

Looking at the Rays bullpen, Maddon said he felt they were "down two" in that department.

By selecting Maddon over Rays bench coach John McLaren, the Rays continue to distance the organization from the past. From inside the organization, the Rays interviewed McLaren and other Major League coaches Billy Hatcher and Tom Foley and Triple-A Durham manager Bill Evers.

Candidates interviewed from outside the organization included Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi, who accepted the Marlins' job; former Tigers manager Alan Trammell; Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton; and former Phillies third baseman and Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt.

The Rays also had some interest in former Rangers and Mets manager Bobby Valentine, who is currently the skipper of the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan. But Valentine never became a serious candidate.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 pm

i'm wondering how this guy's going to make changes. maybe the al east will get even more competitive.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers